How to Inspect Private Drinking Water Wells

Here is an example of a old style dug well with masonry cased with brick. These types of wells are only 10 to 30 feet deep and can be prone to contamination. If old wells are still in use for potable water it should be covered and sealed to keep out contaminants, also its a safety concern and helps prevent the risk of falling in.

Article: Water Quality: Most drinking water that we use comes from surface-water sources like lakes rivers and streams and that water is regulated by the EPA. People who own private wells are not under these regulated conditions and are recommended by the EPA to test annually for contaminants. Some of the important contaminants to test for annually are Coliform bacteria and nitrates.

This is an image of a pressure tank and related equipment in a home with a drilled well. This is a 40-60 psi system and when tested, the pressure tank was holding at 38 psi. The tank should be set at 2 psi lower than the low pressure setting.

I selected an illustration of a drilled well into bedrock in the nachi gallery. This is the most common type of well used in the areas that I inspect and the type of well that I have experience growing up with. I learned the difference between a well head in a pit and newer wells with pitless units or sections. I grew up with a drilled will in a pit and the pit frequently filled up with water in the spring. I never realized that this may have compromised the sanitary condition of the well until taking this course.

A typical well water distribution system consists of the well pipe, (casing), a pump (typically to hp) whether submersible in the well itself (typically drilled wells) or located in the house (buildup or utility room), an electrical control box and pressure regulator switch to monitor the pressure tank at a preset level, usually about 40-60 psi. As water is pumped into the tank it compresses the air to the desired set psi. Pressure tanks hold a reserve amount of water supply in order to extend the life of the pump under high demands, keeping the pump from excessive starting and stopping. Well casings should also be at least a foot above ground level with an air tight cap.

A typical well water distribution system consists of the well pipe, (casing), a pump (typically to hp) whether submersible in the well itself (typically drilled wells) or located in the house (buildup or utility room), an electrical control box and pressure regulator switch to monitor the pressure tank at a preset level, usually about 40-60 psi. As water is pumped into the tank it compresses the air to the desired set psi. Pressure tanks hold a reserve amount of water supply in order to extend the life of the pump under high demands, keeping the pump from excessive starting and stopping. Well casings should also be at least a foot above ground level with an air tight cap.

Inspection of pressure switch revealed it to be fully operational with clean electrical contacts. settings are at 40-60 psi. Water was drained from system and bladder tank pressure was tested to be 38 pounds which is 2 pounds below cut in pressure

Home inspection tools and equipment are available way beyond the basic electrical tester and flashlight. Folding ladder and safety equipment such as glasses and respirator are useful items to have. I personally carry basic tools and hoses and air pressure gage.

This class was very informative learning 15% of Americans use a well, that only 1% of the earth water is drinkable. Also the different sources for our drinking water like surface water and groundwater and The differences for both sources.

Private well have several components like; the well casing, casing grout, pump,submersible pump, jet pumps, pitiless adaptor, screen, well cap to name a few. Check with local or state agencies to learn on specific rules and regulations for your service area.

This is a photo of a pressure tank and associated components. The pressure tank is the blue tank. The main water shutoff is the red-handled valve. The pressure gauge is visible. The pressure switches are inside the gray box. The plumbing is PVC pipe.

For my research and writing assignment I am using an image of a bladder type pressure tank for a well system. The image shows a typical configuration of the components, including the pressure tank, pump, pressure switches and air valve.

This essay is on the InterNACHI course “How to Inspect Private Drinking Water Wells Course” and the topic is drilled wells. From the course I learned the most reliable is the drilled well in so far as has the least of problems such as running dry, contaminants, or sediment. The well is drilled with a 4-6 inch diameter casing from 50’ to 900’ don to bedrock. Outside the casing gravel is added part way down to bedrock and concrete outside the casing. This also seams a safer well as is not large in diameter that would present a safety hazard for children or livestock. However it is the more expensive option which I believe does not outweigh the benefits.

This Essay is on the InterNACHI Article 'Bamboo Construction and Inspection". Bamboo is similar to hardwood in strength and longevity yet lighter. Using as a building component that will bear structural weight takes a specialized knowledge. There are at least a thousand varieties of this grass that can grow as much as several feet a day. Bamboo used for construction needs to be matured (5-6 years)for optimal use. It regeneration is more than double for typical hardwood forests. It is susceptible to insect or water decay so must be treated and exposure limited however is a great cost effective and useful building material in some parts of the world. In Asia it is commonly used as scaffolding in the construction of skyscrapers hundreds of feet up.

Aesthetic contaminants such as Hydrogen Sulfide are common in the well water supply here in South West Florida. Many people just drink the water as is without any type of filtration here. From the moment you turn on faucets you can smell it. Oxidation filtration systems are a must.

Hantavirus Danger in Homes. It is important to realize that PPE is of the utmost importance while navigating through some of the areas about the home that can be hazardous to your health. It is difficult enough to crawl through attics in Florida due to low sloped roofs and various obstructions. I make myself wear a mask, gloves and both long sleeved shirts and pants no matter how hot it is when I am working my way through.

A bladder tank is an important part of a well system. When working properly they allow for storage and use of limited amounts of pressurized water without requiring the pump to turn on every time the tap is turned on or someone flushes a toilet. This stops short cycling a pump. They help extend the life a pump.

Lead facts… Lead can be found in plumbing and paint. In plumbing lead can leach into the water while it sits in the pipes and fixtures. In paint it can become air-born when removing paint form a wall. In either case lead ingested via water or air can affect a human in negative ways. It is more common in older homes.

This is a picture of a cmu well water holding tank from the outside sealed both inside and out with Acor water shield sheating. the vertical wall is an exterior wall, the rest is a sealed deck N/A. The blue sealtite flex is a line going to a sump float. This large holding tank is under the house and has a broken seal around the cap which has been not maintained in 5 years. the water is contaminated with floating debris and was reported to local health department.

I chose a picture of contaminated water. where there is two clean water tanks being filled with hoses. one method is correct, the hose should always fill from above the water and never in the water as the incorrect picture shows because contaminants may get into the water from the hose and possible visa-versa.