How to Inspect Private Drinking Water Wells

A functional flow test was performed on the well water system. Submersible pump is in satisfactory condition. Flow rate is satisfactory at 10+ gallons per minute, recovery rate is satisfactory tested by running water for 30 plus minutes with no drop in flow rate or pressure. There is a 5" PVC well head. Well head is visible, in satisfactory condition and is the proper distance from septic system. Pressure tank is in satisfactory working condition. Pressure switch and pressure gauge are in satisfactory working condition. Note: This was a functional flow test of the well water system and not an inspection to determine the adequacy of municipal requirements and or codes.

I chose the article “Aluminum Siding Inspection” for my reading assignment. I learned that aluminum siding was first introduced for residential use in the 1940"s. I also learned that some jurisdiction require that the siding be grounded as a safety measure.

The picture is of a water softener storage tank. It’s part of a water softener to reduce the hardness that sometimes naturally occurs with ground water. The storage tank holds salt. The water softener regenerates itself to keep itself clean.

The article I chose was about drinking water and it’s contaminates. Contaminates can be naturally occurring or accidental. Most of the Unites States gets it’s water from natural groundwater. It is treated and then sent out to the public for safe drinking water.

When inspecting a private well, it is very important to understand what components you are dealing with. These components will direct you in your method of inspecting. Take enough time to track the system within the wellhouse along with locating the wellhead and all electrical feeds. It is also important to inspect the area around the well to ensure there is no contamination source within the set distance of the well

In learning about the different types of wells that will be found during inspections, I have learned that a drilled well is the most dependable well. Drilled wells are the most expensive option, but as anything else the expense in the long run will help minimize the need for further investment if the well is properly maintained. Drilled wells are usually the deeper of wells and will often produce a better quality of water than other wells, with that being said, the owner would still need to test the well on a yearly basis to ensure no health risk is eveident.

For the most part, I will not be inspecting wells. I have taken this course to have a better understanding of private water supplies. The liability seems really high to me due to my limited experience. Having a understanding of there components will help to explain to a client were to turn and what is involved with a proper inspection.

Article Water Quality. Article explains where our potable water come from and how it is treated. The adverse health affects that can occur especially when dealing with private water sources that are not maintained or monitored are a serious concern that most homeowners may not be aware of.

I have learned about private drinking water well and I am particularly interested in blue baby syndrome.
I will be a better inspector being able to provide this service to my clients.
It took me a while to learn this material but now I no more about private drinking water wells. Thank you InterNACHI for providing me with the best education in home and building inspection

I have learned about private drinking water well and I am particularly interested in blue baby syndrome.
I will be a better inspector being able to provide this service to my clients.
It took me a while to learn this material but now I no more about private drinking water wells. Thank you InterNACHI for providing me with the best education in home and building inspection

Water well. Water well head construction is important to keep contaminants out of the well. They should be at least a foot above ground the soil around it should be graded away from well head and should be sealed. This well head has two concerns first being broken and unsealed. Second is improper grading around the well head. Suggest certified well contractor to further inspect for possible further damages to the casing from the impact that has broken the well head casing.

Green home inspection. The process does go a little beyond the scope of normal work. Becoming an energy auditor through internachi will help fill another void of income. The basics is home owner would have to show proof of invoices of the items then verify that they meet being green.

A water well is an excavation or structure created in the ground by digging, driving, boring, or drilling to access groundwater in underground aquifers. The well water is drawn by a pump, or using containers, such as buckets, that are raised mechanically or by hand.

The United States has one of the safest water supplies in the world. However, national statistics dont tell you specifically about the quality and safety of the water coming out of your tap. Thats because drinking water quality varies from place to place, depending on the condition of the source water from which it is drawn, and the treatment it receives.

This picture of a well from an inspection shows that the conduit for the electrical feed for the pump has disconnected and moved. The wires are now exposed and can be damaged. Water can also enter the conduit and cause problems.

Attached garage fire containment. Garages usually have a lot of flammable materials stored in them. Cars also can leak oil and gas in the garage. Therefore it is important to have fire protection between the garage and living spaces. An inspector should check the door leading into the house and any penetrations of the fire wall.

Well Casing
This a well casing for a drilled well. According to EPA standards this well casing has been installed properly. It has a sealed water tight well cap and is more than 12" above the ground. The ground around the casing is sloping away to maintain proper drainage. And, it is more than 3’ away for the porch structure.

Roofing
Every building has a roof that is either flat or pitched. The purpose of a roof is to protect the interior and building occupants from outside weather, primarily moisture. Most residential homes have roofs that are covered with shingles that are made from various materials, including asphalt, slate, metal, fiberglass, wood, and tile.

This diagram is of a drilled well, which is the safest, cleanest, most modern and dependable style of wells that are available.
Usually there is a hole drilled, then a steel or plastic casing dropped into the hole, then grout is pumped into the space between the ground and the casing.

Some contaminants come from the erosion of natural rock formations. Other contaminants are substances discharged from factories, applied to farmlands, or used by consumers in their homes and yards. Sources of contaminants might be in your neighborhood or might be many miles away.