Husband/Wife Inspection Team Asks for Insurance Advice

Originally Posted By: jbushart
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Quote:
Hi,
I am sending this out to all of the NACHI chapters listed on the web site.
I am in the state of Alaska and am having a huge problem getting liability insurance so that my husband can be licensed.

The problem that we are facing is that all of the underwriters are requiring a minimum of 3 years insurance history.
Not just in general liability but for home inspection type liability. We don't have it, and although he has spent 25+ years in the construction industry, we are told that doesn't count. My husband had taken all of the schooling and was certified as a home inspector. He had taken the state required test and passed, we have a surety bond in place, but our only obstacle is the liability insurance. It is a catch 22 for us because the state won't license without it, and the insurance company won't insure without the 3 years. How does a new inspector get their business going under these conditions.

I am hoping that someone in your chapter has faced the same situation, or maybe someone could tell me of an insurance underwriter that doesn't require the 3 years of previous insurance.

Thank you for your time,
Deb Deitchel

--
Home Inspection Services of Missouri
www.missourihomeinspection.com

"We're NACHI. Get over it."

www.monachi.org

Originally Posted By: jbushart
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Quote:
Hi Jim,
I have had an overwhelming response to my question. Thank you so much for your help! It is amazing to me that almost everyone of the responses mentioned FREA (Foundation of Real Estate Appraisers) as covering new inspectors. I called them and the only thing they really wanted to know was where my husband did his training. They are sending out an application. It amazes me that everyone across the nation seems to know about FREA yet nobody in Alaska does.
I also received several names of other agents that people have used for their business. I am in the process of checking those out also.
I think the best part of this whole frustrating situation is that I have been able to meet other people from all of the chapters.
I think I have even talked Nick from NACHI into coming up and helping us to start a chapter.

I hope that you are enjoying the long weekend. We have had beautiful weather here, almost too hot for working outside.

Thank you again for all of your help,
Deb Deitchel

--
Home Inspection Services of Missouri
www.missourihomeinspection.com

"We're NACHI. Get over it."

www.monachi.org