FLORIDA INSPECTORS - Time to ACT!!!

Originally Posted By: hgordon
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

As many of you know by now, last Monday I traveled to Tallahassee to stop the bill (HB 979) trying to be passed against Home Inspectors from going through.

At the meeting the Subcommittee was very receptive to my comments and agreed that the bill needed to be "amended" to take into consideration the all too important issue, that if passed it would put out of business over 85% of current home inspectors.

I used Tallahassee's very own yellow pages to argue my point. In it are listed 27 Home Inspection companies:
3 are ASHI Full Members (they meet the requirements)
2 were Out Of Business
2 did not answer their phones

I spoke to the other 20 PERSONALLY!! Out of that 20 only 1 met the requirements for grandfathering as they were written! That would mean that close to 90% of Inspectors in Tallahassee alone would not meet the requirements as set forth by the bill that is on the floor for a vote!!

So how do you know if you qualify to be grandfathered? You MUST answer YES to each of the below"

1. Have you been in the home inspection business for more than 2 years and 10 months?

2. By July 2004 will you have completed 250 paid inspections?

3. Have you taken and passed a "psychometrically valid examination that meets the standards in the Council on Licensure, Enforcement, and Regulation publication "A Resource Brief on Licensure Examinations," as determined by the department."

4. Do you have a High School diploma or equivalent?

Listen carefully my fellow inspector, if you answered no to any of the above AND the bill passes as it is written YOU DO NOT QUALIFY TO BE GRANDFATHERED...no if's and's or but's!!

Now that I have your attention, here is what I need for you to do, IF YOU WANT TO BE GRANDFATHERED:

1. Call the Representatives below (not just one..but each of them), they are the members of the Subcommittee that is hearing the bill this Monday the 27th of March at 6pm. DON'T WAIT!! Call right away.

Tell them that you are a Home Inspector that will be put out of business unless they rewrite the grandfather clause to say that "ALL" inspectors who have been active 30 days prior to the bill becoming law will be grandfathered:

Jim Kallinger at (850) 488-2742. He is the Chair for the Subcommittee
Juan C. Zapata (850) 488-9550
Thad Altman (850) 488-9720
Marsha Bowen (850) 488-2721
Mary Brandenburg (850) 488-0260
Frank Farkas (850) 488-5719
Ron L. Greenstein (850) 488-3164
Charlie Justice (850) 488-9337
Timothy Ryan (850) 488-0245
John Stargel (850) 488-2270
Roger B. Wishner (850) 488-0590

2. Call Representative Bob Allen (850) 488-4669...he is the sponsor of the Bill. I spoke with him and he agreed that the grandfather clause needs to be rewritten. Call him and tell him that you applaud his willingness to amend the bill so as to not put you out of business.

3. You gotta GO!!! There is truly no excuse for you as a home inspector, wether you meet the current requirements or not, for not showing up IN PERSON.

4. Post your name and email address here and I will add you to a BILL ALERT that will email you about upcoming events and meetings regarding this unfair bill.

Inspectors...it's time to stand up and be a LOUD VOICE.

I cannot do this by myself!! PLEASE, help me help you!

--
Harvey Gordon
SE Florida NACHI Chapter - President
hgordon@fl.nachi.org

Originally Posted By: jmertins

I’ll be all over it on Monday morning!!!

John

baxterhomeinspections@yahoo.com

I'd like to get on that email list

John

Originally Posted By: james stevens

hey guys we should all be doin something about this let me know more im just gettin to the hi field i guess i better act fast hey thanks jim

Originally Posted By: dbowers

Thats disgusting - why would Tallahassee not have more competent and experienced home inspectors. To find less than 5 people that meet as simple criteria as th 4 mentioned is ludicrous.

(1) As a homebuyer I would think 2 yrs experience is the BARE minimum
to be "Grandfathered"
(2) 250 inspections - if you've been in the HI business for 2-3 years and
haven't done 250 - you've got another job that supports you, and HI is
not that job.
(3) High School Diploma - sounds reasonable.
(4) Take a Test to show you know something - sounds reasonable.

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

Quote:
if you've been in the HI business for 2-3 years and
haven't done 250 - you've got another job that supports you, and HI is
not that job.

So, Dan...

Are you saying that if you have another source of income, you dont deserve to be grandfathered or are not qualified?

Further, what does ANY requesite number if onspections performed guarantee the consumer. They could have been 250 poorly done inspections, as compared to another inspector's 50 flawless inspections...

The other thing that everyone fails to recognize is the source of the "problems" within the state, as far as bad inspectors go. I can make an argument that, since documented problems date back several years, and new inspectors weren't in business that long, that the "seasoned" inspectors were the obvious reason for needing to protect the consumer, and therefore should be banned from practicing.

Sll of this legislation is the same mumbo-jumbo. No real protection for the consumer.

The only real protection for any consumer is the inspector being required to carry insurance. Everyone stays FAR away from this reality.

--
Joe Farsetta

Illigitimi Non Carborundum
"Dont let the bastards grind you down..."

in the industry, old ones who may not have a high school diploma, and new ones who maybe don’t have 250 inspections to not be tossed out by stupid legislation.

As far as the future, bring it on...those who want to be doctors realize that they will spend about 8 to 12 additional years of school in order to be a doctor and that is the price they are willing to pay.

We are ALREADY inspectors! Get it?

Stand up for right, and stop trying to be "greater than" simply because at this stage in your HI career you meet the criteria.

Remember your youth my fellow inspector! There was a time when you avoided your length in business like a plague...to say nothing about your lack of experience!

What we need is more self policing, and less of government mambo jambo!

I agree with Joe Farsetta...instead of trying to point fingers at who can and cant, we need to get proper insurance to protect, not ourselves but, the consumers! After all, isnt that why they are trying to pass a law in the first place?

Harvey Gordon
President - NACHI SE Florida Chapter

--
Harvey Gordon
hgordon@fl.nachi.org

Hey Guys,

My calls have all been made. Only 1 did I get a answer machine. I will make another round @4:30 just to keep it fresh in their heads before they sit to discuss tonight. "Keep fightin boys..It's our lives at stake here!!!" ![icon_exclaim.gif](upload://kW92MliyHA8ygoXI0UsgtBSn4ZO.gif)

John

hi john anything happened today let me know ok im from tampa and a new hi thanks jim e m jimst16196@msn.com see ya jim

Guess what...they listened!!

They heard me when I said that the Bill, in it's current state, was unfair to the MAJORITY of the inspectors in Florida. Since FABI, ASHI, and NAHI (those who wrote this Bill) only represent less than 1/4 of the HI's in Florida were the ones who would benefit by the bill while the others were out!

Yesterday (Monday 3/29/04) the Chair of the Subcommittee (Jim Kallinger that had heard the bill last week), submitted a STRIKE ALL that basically took the bill down and said that they instead wanted to form a Home Inspection Services Group that would be put into place to provide back to the Speaker of the House, President of the Senate, the Secretary of the Department of Business and Professions Regulations, and the Executive Office of the Governor on January 2005 a report that would state the following:

1. Describe the Duties and Responsibilities of a Home Inspector;
    2. Address wether regulation of HI's is appropriate or is there a viable alternative;
    3. Consider wether the UNREGULATED HI's SUBSTANTIALLY harms or endangers the public, and wether the potential for harm is recognizable vs remote;
    4. Consider wether the practice of HI's requires specialized skills or training, and are those skills measurable, so that examination and or training could be put into place;
    5. Consider wether regulation will have an UNREASONABLE effect on the existing HI's or those who will come into the business
    6. Consider wether the public can be effectively protected by this or other means
    7. Consider wether the overall cost picture makes sense

All in all this means that we are back at the drawing board and this time, if we don't just sit back and allow others to determine our futures, we should be able to put into place something that protects not only the HI's in business, but also something that protects the future of our industry and the consumers as well.

This battle is by no means over...after all we only won the battle not the war!

So where do we go from here? I'm glad you asked:

1. I will be putting up a NEW Forum that will keep you all posted as to developments...PLEASE STAY POSTED!
    2. Be sure to attend future Chapter Meetings..we will always keep you posted there
    3. Call other inspectors in your area...ask that they also keep up with the forum.
    4. IF you have been in business longer than 5 years IN FLORIDA, please contact me by email at FlaNACHI@StepBySTepHI.com so that I can add you to the list of Candidates to sit on the Home Inspection Services Group
    5. STOP depending on others, show up at future Tallahassee meetings so that NACHI will stand out as the Association that cares!

Once again, please note that this is but the first step. We need to keep the press on!

Looking forward to seeing you at a Local Chapter meeting!

Harvey Gordon
SE Fla NACHI Chapter President

--
Harvey Gordon
hgordon@fl.nachi.org

Harvey,

I'd like to talk live soon. I am up here in Melbourne, FL and we have a good group of guys who are independents. I would like to join you in the effort to make this happen, and protect us and our future.

I'll private email ya with my # or send me yours.

John

Congrats on the battle won...lets win the war!!!!

Joe -

You're absolutely right about the number. A new person could have done 50 spotless inspections and someone else could have done 250 terrible ones. As a national trainer, inspector and expert witness, I see that every day. Now that I've said that I'll tell you for a fact of life, that I've never seen 50 spotless inspections by a new guy. I'll also tell you that 2 of the worst inspectors I've ever seen anywhere in my life have been 15 year veteran inspectors (1 a licensed engineer with 10 years experience there before he became a home inspector).

The 2 VERY BEST home inspectors I've ever met anywhere in the country had been a graphic artist and a biology teacher before getting into the home inspection business.

The last new guy that worked for me as a home inspector had been Vice President of Construction for a major video chain and a residential remodeler for 15 years. He had related under-graduate and graduate degrees and he was sharp. Before I'd turn him loose on customers doing home inspections without direct supervision, he had to go to HI School and spend 2 months riding with other inspectors (about 75-100 inspections). Thats how I keep a 26 year - no law suit record.

You've got to start somewhere, and the numbers and times mentioned are minimal.

Dan Bowers

P.S. Please read my post on mandatory E&O Insurance

the inspection - but the new buyer doesn’t care about right or wrong, or any of that , he or she just wants someone to pay for the problems and doesn’t care who as long as its not him / her.

An inspector gets unlucky enough to have 1 or 2 of those suits and right or wrong his insurance either goes through the sky or he gets cancelled. At that point if E&O is mandatory for his license, hes out of business.

Think About It Guys!!

My own personal opinion on home inspection, is that it will never be a FULL PROFESSION l until we start worrying about hurting someones feelings and start requiring some REAL REQUIREMENTS to be a HI.

For example: a college degree in a construction related field with home inspection areas; code certification; a national test like the one NACHI is working on, the NHIE, or the NAHI CRI exam; an apprenticeship or residency for 6 months to a year.

My thoughts on E & O Insurance are posted in this section.

Dan Bowers

Dan,

Lets see....Carry insurance, get up every a.m. and go to work, do a good job, do repeat business, have good standing in community, pay yourself...sounds like a full profession to me!!

Think before you talk...you are burying yourself in your own over-indoctrination.

But have you taken your real estate coursework? I mean the full 65 hour course? Don't you think you should add that to your long list of accomplishments?

John

Dan by the way...what college related courses did you take with the HI related expierence? I'd like to go to that college. I guess my History degree does not look good for being a HI.

Originally Posted By: jburkeson

Deleted… icon_biggrin.gif

Joseph Burkeson, RPI (Hooperette)

?Anyone who has proclaimed violence his method inexorably must choose lying as his principle.?
~ Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

hey joe u go boy you are doin great get right into that pissin contest jim

- Today I’ve been inactive for 10 years, but Yes I was licensed as a Real Estate Broker in 4 states including Texas which in the mid-80’s started requiring over 900 hours for a Brokers license.

I'm also aware as you seem to be that most other states have a very limited educational requirement for real estate agents / brokers (40 - 90 hours). I hear California may be in the 300 hour range. I try not to let the real estate agents I work with know this as it DOES NOT make them real comfy knowing their Home Inspector has about 10 times more training in what they do - than what they have.

Dan Bowers

for $550.

I charged $795 for the EIFS inspection. Liability for ONE THING for $795, and since I had high moisture readings and improper details - I'm referring them to a contractor for repairs. LITTLE or NO LIABILITY.

Go Figure.

Originally Posted By: gbell

This is the other orginazations position on the Grandfather Clause:

1. Be of good moral character.

2. Have successfully completed high school or its equivalent.

3. Have been engaged in the practice of home inspection for compensation for not fewer than three years prior to the effective date of this act.

4. Have performed no fewer than 250 home inspections for compensation.

5. Have passed the NHIE offered by the EBPHI. The examination may have been passed before the effective date of this act.

Kind of looks like the Florida legislation.

--
Greg Bell
Bell Inspection Service

Originally Posted By: jburkeson

Deleted… icon_biggrin.gif

Joseph Burkeson, RPI (Hooperette)

?Anyone who has proclaimed violence his method inexorably must choose lying as his principle.?
~ Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn