Originally Posted By: hgordon
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.
As many of you know by now, last Monday I traveled to Tallahassee to stop the bill (HB 979) trying to be passed against Home Inspectors from going through.
At the meeting the Subcommittee was very receptive to my comments and agreed that the bill needed to be "amended" to take into consideration the all too important issue, that if passed it would put out of business over 85% of current home inspectors.
I used Tallahassee's very own yellow pages to argue my point. In it are listed 27 Home Inspection companies:
3 are ASHI Full Members (they meet the requirements)
2 were Out Of Business
2 did not answer their phones
I spoke to the other 20 PERSONALLY!! Out of that 20 only 1 met the requirements for grandfathering as they were written! That would mean that close to 90% of Inspectors in Tallahassee alone would not meet the requirements as set forth by the bill that is on the floor for a vote!!
So how do you know if you qualify to be grandfathered? You MUST answer YES to each of the below"
1. Have you been in the home inspection business for more than 2 years and 10 months?
2. By July 2004 will you have completed 250 paid inspections?
3. Have you taken and passed a "psychometrically valid examination that meets the standards in the Council on Licensure, Enforcement, and Regulation publication "A Resource Brief on Licensure Examinations," as determined by the department."
4. Do you have a High School diploma or equivalent?
Listen carefully my fellow inspector, if you answered no to any of the above AND the bill passes as it is written YOU DO NOT QUALIFY TO BE GRANDFATHERED...no if's and's or but's!!
Now that I have your attention, here is what I need for you to do, IF YOU WANT TO BE GRANDFATHERED:
1. Call the Representatives below (not just one..but each of them), they are the members of the Subcommittee that is hearing the bill this Monday the 27th of March at 6pm. DON'T WAIT!! Call right away.
Tell them that you are a Home Inspector that will be put out of business unless they rewrite the grandfather clause to say that "ALL" inspectors who have been active 30 days prior to the bill becoming law will be grandfathered:
Jim Kallinger at (850) 488-2742. He is the Chair for the Subcommittee
Juan C. Zapata (850) 488-9550
Thad Altman (850) 488-9720
Marsha Bowen (850) 488-2721
Mary Brandenburg (850) 488-0260
Frank Farkas (850) 488-5719
Ron L. Greenstein (850) 488-3164
Charlie Justice (850) 488-9337
Timothy Ryan (850) 488-0245
John Stargel (850) 488-2270
Roger B. Wishner (850) 488-0590
2. Call Representative Bob Allen (850) 488-4669...he is the sponsor of the Bill. I spoke with him and he agreed that the grandfather clause needs to be rewritten. Call him and tell him that you applaud his willingness to amend the bill so as to not put you out of business.
3. You gotta GO!!! There is truly no excuse for you as a home inspector, wether you meet the current requirements or not, for not showing up IN PERSON.
4. Post your name and email address here and I will add you to a BILL ALERT that will email you about upcoming events and meetings regarding this unfair bill.
Inspectors...it's time to stand up and be a LOUD VOICE.
I cannot do this by myself!! PLEASE, help me help you!