I am considering this drone, any feedback?

Can you save photos on an SD card vs your phone?

1 Like

Michael,
Thanks. I really enjoy taking pictures. I’ll answer your question and Brian’s together since it is related.
The drone saves to a micro-SD card. It also has some internal memory in case you forget your cards.
During a home inspection, after using the drone, I’ll download the pictures/video to my phone before I turn off the drone. From there I can drop what I want into Spectora. But video files are huge so if it is long, I have to edit it in the DJI software before I save it. Spectora won’t display the 4 or 5 k video anyway.

The new Air 2S even has a neat feature called “Mastershots” which you can google. Its a fully automatic mode where you let the drone do a 2-3 minute routine (flies itself) around the object you choose and then you pick from a menu of music clips and it makes its own highlights video synched to the music track at lower video resolution that is easy to transfer or share or put into Spectora.
Customers like it. It has nothing to do with inspection but people like pretty pictures of their house.

When I get home I might take video off the SD card and load it onto my workstation and make a custom video highlights clip. The phone app can do a lot, but not as much as professional video editing software like Adobe or Corel made for creators.

2 Likes

I have a family member who is a real estate agent. She gets these cool water color prints some company makes from photos of the home (which I am sure anyone can do with a photoshop editor). They add her name and phone number like an artist who would sign the artwork.

She then frames it and gives it to them after closing as a house warming gift. It is brilliant, they love it and it is pretty high quality stuff. She’ll spend a couple hundred bucks on it but they will never forget her.

2 Likes

So let’s see you discover water damage in the interior, a room close to the roof . Hmmm what happened to evidence of a mosture leak . I recommend a licensed roof contractor further inspect the roof for defects that caused the leak.

1 Like

Yes sir. I particularly like @bhull1 post because; he was able to identify an exterior roof design problem. Then, like a knowledgeable professional, he took these clues inside and confirmed the roof trouble spots. That is about as fine of a job as you will find in this business.

3 Likes

David,
Yes, I agree with you.

On Page 20 of her report (roofing section of report) she got a paragraph with my observations/concerns with pictures and I tied it to the leaks found on the interior and I recommended that she have a reputable local roofing contractor further evaluate and provide a plan for repair and quote for work before the end of her inspection contingency period. (And I specifically recommended one of the few roofers in her part of town that is not an idiot)

On Page 22 (Interior section of report) I show interior water damage in the front corner of the garage and reference back to the roofing problems.

Sounds like you would do the same.

Another Day, Another 5-Star review from a thankful customer.

4 Likes

Thanks, that makes sense and sounds relatively painless. Not having to use another device or too many layers of image handling and editing software really makes work easier.

Great DRONE at a great price.
I use my phone for the DRONE pics as well as my inspection pics so everything is easy to download to the computer from the same device.

2 Likes

You deserve it, Bert! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

That is a sufficiently detailed section of your report on the roof.

4 Likes

The Lykus cases are excellent. The foam was a bit tight fitting in a few places on the one I got. I took a knife to it and opened things up a bit and also cut in some finger slots to be able to get my finger down and lift things out.

3 Likes

Great, helpful info, Ryan!..especially the finger slots. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes

I love my drone. I inspected a roof a few years ago after it rained and climbed onto my ladder from the roof and it slipped on the wet driveway slab and I fell off the roof breaking my elbow and wrist. (Finished the inspection after, go figure it was the worst attic I have ever had to crawl through).

I bought a DJI Mavic Pro Platinum after that. I still get to the the eaves edge with my ladder but also use my drone to get closer and for areas where my ladder won’t reach.

Client and agents love them. It’s still cutting edge for this industry. Not many people in my area use them so it’s a usp (unique selling point) for me. I don’t advertise that I use it due to the limitations with wind and cold. I live in Michigan and can’t use it half the year.

You can get pictures with a drone that communicate issues from a distance which is really helpful at times.

At $1299 it’s more than you want to spend on a drone but this one has a zoom. Takes great pictures so I can transfer them to the phone before I turn the drone off. I can zoom in really close with my phone after they are downloaded and take a screenshot of detailed images.

You can buy additional accessories on Amazon to hold bigger phones or tablets with your remote.

Watch out for birds! Lol they will attack your drone

4 Likes

I use a P4P. Has collision avoidance and handles well in windy situations. Great close ups too.

2 Likes

The P4P is a monster of a drone. I wanted a smaller version. The P4P is still a great drone tho. I almost got that one

1 Like

Not something I would have anticipated, lol!

Mini 2 does fit the newer phones.

1 Like

Good to know, thanks!

1 Like

Thank you everyone for your feedback!

Drones are never let me repeat this never better then eyes on inspection.
It is absolutely impossible. Do a roof inspection with a drone. And see all the issues that could be seen with eyes on inspection. It’s ok.
You’re just fooling yourself. However, is better than nothing. Be prepared to be sued.
I’ve sent the three that I have a. And still after I was meticulous at looking at the video. I still felt uncomfortable about the images that I seen. Rightly so. Have fun!
Human eyes are better than drones. Hawk me if you want. But I’ve already been there and done that. I still use my drones occasionally.
However they never give you the finite information of what you’re trying to find.

1 Like

Amen!

I’ve been doing a lot of 3 story townhomes lately, I need to get eyes up there.

Interesting you said “sued”. I’ve been trying to work out a “drone limitations narrative”. I feel more at risk with a drone than my binoculars.

1 Like