ICC, ASHI and NACHI mentioned in new NACHI H.I. Bill for NH.

I am going to state a few facts relative to this rediculous bantering.

I have never been in support of home inspector licensing in the state of
NH. It has been mentioned that I have circumvented “authority” in voicing my opinions of the licensing bill. My imput has been asked for on several occasions, I like every other American citizen has the right to voice it. There is no authority that I have to contact to do anything. A NH chapter is great for members, but a chapter president has no authority over what I do. A chapter president is simply an organizer of a group.

When I see legislation that will pertain to me I have and I will be involved.

I sit on a public policy and legislative committee and we monitor several hundreds of bills at the state level and national level regarding everything from health insurance issues to home inspection licensing each year. hb642 is one of many, as a matter of fact that is how this organization first ever found out about the damn bill.
I tried to form a Lakes and Mountains Chapter for the benefit of my fellow inspectors in this area, period. As I have stated before there are many “chapters of one” in this organization and by looking at the photo posted of the “chapter of 79” it has dwindled.
Mr. Carrio has spent his time fighting to “kill” home inspector licensing, when hb642 is “dead” he then makes an attempt to resurrect licensing. ???
BTW talk about poorly written legislation.

When Mr. Bowman attended meetings in NH it was to have an authoritive presence from NACHI to ensure that licensing was not biased to any one organization. That was accomplished! NH members should be thankful of that.
If any NH members would like to email me regarding NH legislation or anything else for that matter feel free.
Let’s all move on to more productive discussions.
Carla

It is amazing how the thought of licensing brings out the best in everyone.

Thanks for opening the topic to “licensing”, in general.

Here is what a Florida building inspector, a former president of a Florida association, and a prominent leader in the recent legislative attempts for licensure in Florida recently wrote me on this topic:

State licensing boards, in any profession, are political. Your competitor will be among those deciding if you have violated the rules and should be allowed to stay in business.

Some of us are reluctant to turn over the controls to the state for very good reason. We all know that licensure is not for the good of the consumer and it has yet to prove itself good for the profession. Yet, someone definitely benefits.

I think that when the vendors of products and services that are called into demand by such legislation are silenced, so will be the call for such legislation. Just my opinion.

James, do you consider any state licensing of any profession appropriate?

Why? or Why not?

I’m also not sure why someone who doesn’t have a dog in this hunt is so “vocal” on the NH possible licensing issue.

Ir’s not that I am in support of licensing of HIs but it is a reality in the state of WI and others. It’s unlikely that it will ever be a de-licensed profession so all one can do is work within the stem given and certainly to work to make any changes that hurt the profession. We should work in our own state and use the support of NACHI as needed and available.

Mike,

Home Inspectors in several states (I believe that most remain unlicensed…possibly only half) have given the state control over their profession. It may or may not have been the desire of the majority of them to do so. From my observation, it happened “on the sly” and with many who opposed it thinking that, with licensing being “inevitable”, they went along with it hoping to get a break in the language of the bill.

I agree with you that there will be no “de-licensing”. A state will never relenquish the power, once given, to govern a profession.

But did you know that, in many states…physicians are not licensed? They are governed and policed by the AMA…and the states, with their confidence in that association’s ability to ensure the quality of its members, allows this instead of setting an arbitrary “minimum standard” for your doctor to comply with in order to stay in business.

Where licensing has already taken hold in your state, you have a legal and ethical duty to work within that law. Where it does not exist, in my opinion, it should be resisted.

No disagreement on that point. It’s too late here in WI but you can bet your bippy I will have a voice in WI if any proposed changes are detrimental to HIs IN MY STATE.

Fair observation.

First, I love the opportunity to debate this topic. Silence on such issues favors those who are quietly working to socialize the home inspection profession by turning control of it over to the state.

Secondly, I know that NOW is the only time one has to ethically remark on the topic — that is, PRIOR to it becoming law. Once it is law, it’s over. For example, I am reading in some marketing threads where those who pay kickbacks to clients for referrals are able to make money hands over fist while others, in some states, lament that their state law prohibits this “marketing” technique.

As the Florida building inspector stated, licensing laws are not put into place to ensure a higher quality home inspector and home inspectors should fear them…and this is a guy who has been pushing for them in his state for 15 years. I hope the good people of Florida keep up the good fight and continue to inspire all who also wish to keep control over their profession.

Debate on this topic is healthy and the ideas and points of view that are brought out are helpful, if for no other reason than to open eyes and minds, in other states where licensing may someday become an issue.

I enjoy debatr as well as it has the posibility of both teaching other and learning from others. But in this case we all would be better served if a thread a seperate thread was started of a more general nature and not limited to NH. Go ahead and start it James. Perhaps more would be willing to participate. To many HIs sit back and let things happen to them rather than be proactive in stoping or changing legislation.

The term “kickback” is at least somewhat prejorative and unnecessary. Rewards, coupons, incentives etc. would be less inflamatory. Plenty of businesses use these devices to market their services and its unfortuante that they are not allowed in some states in the name of “consumer protection”. They should certainly be permitted for use by those who don’t have an interest in the transaction.

They are often to be feared but sometimes that ship has sailed and all we cam do is try and influence future legislaton. If they can’t be stopped(defeinitely preferred) they must be influenced by the paties most affected.

Yes, I agree but ALL should be a bit more friendly in out debate.:wink:

Mike,

My choice of words was intentional to show that what I personally consider to be wrong and others personally consider to be right…becomes moot once it becomes law.

I think those who advocate this practice I referred to as a kickback call it a “client referral program” so we will use that monicker in place of mine. I do not think they would appreciate having their government tell them that what they are doing is wrong anymore than hearing it from me. This is one small example of how freedom of choice is removed once the profession becomes socialized. Someone else’s standards are now imposed upon me and the way I do business.

Perhaps we can all adopt the motto of the great state of NH…to “Live Free, or Die”.:wink:

Sounds good to me. I’m a small “l” libertarian at heart. I don’t want the government involved in my life beyond what our Constitution permits. They simply can not be trusted beyond their enumerated powers. But I fear far too many don’t even understand what I just stated thanks to our education system. (And that’s a whole nother topic):wink:

Okay.

Especially the under educated, untrained, Luddite types that stand in the middle of the road flailing about beating those damnable iron horse’s with their out dated buggy-whips, the friggin’ nerve! Somebody’s got to pay! :sarcasm:

Joe,

As I recall, in the not-so-distant past, you were one of the single loudest opponents of Hi legislation, especially in Florida. Your libertarian posts were well written and monumental; a credit to all of the “under educated, untrained, Luddite types that stand in the middle of the road flailing about beating those damnable iron horse’s with their out dated buggy-whips”.

In those days, it was fun to watch you go off on those proposing legislation of our industry.

Not that it is any of your business and I could really care less of what you think since I have such little regard for anything remotely connected with you, but just to set the record straight… I was never in favor of any of the licensing bills presented in Florida, but unlike many of today’s dissenters it was not because I didn’t meet the minimum requirements.

Now if I could only put you in an ignore list I wouldn’t have needed to create this post and waste each others time while reading your droll drivel. :mrgreen:

The feeling is mutual, Joe. Your rants are of no interest or significance to me. I wish your partner well in his endeavor. He is a class act. As for you, your rants have become childish and tiresome. Someone needs to remind those who may have forgotten, the Joe B of old. That guy was fun to watch. This one is not.

Your coments regarding not meeting the minimum requirements are drivel, Joe. Dig up some of your posts. The truth is there. You appeared to be scared $hitless. You had no idea how the requirements would fall. So, at least be honest about it if you can.

Ignore me if you wish. I could care less. In fact, you’d be doing me a favor.

You would be first on my ignore list if possible, but alas the system won’t allow it, in any case, rest assured you will never receive any favors from me, we will no doubt meet again… eat your Wheaties.

NEW HAMPSHIRE STATE CHAPTER

LIVE FREE OR DIE {State Motto}

State Chapter of

**The National Association of Certified Home Inspectors **

NEW HAMPSHIRE STATE CHAPTER NEWSLETTER
PUBLISHER EDITION VOLUME DATE
Frank Carrio Six One August 29, 2006
Chapter President

Greetings to all!
I am happy to announce that at 2:00 PM on August 29, 2006 we had our first Public Meeting addressing the new House Bill pertaining to Licensing of Home / Residential / Building inspectors in New Hampshire. The meeting was chaired by the sponsors of the bill, State Representatives Benjamin Baroody and State Representative Angeline Kopka.

The notice of this meeting went out to all NACHI-NH members as well as to the ASHI-NH members. The Board of Directors of your New Hampshire State Chapter of NACHI Frank Carrio, Marcus Hutnick, and John Hastings, were all present and accounted for. A special thanks goes out to Ron Racine one of our more active members who voiced his opinions, and made his voice heard at this meeting.

ASHI member Daryl Justham and NIBI member David Roth were also present and fully participated in this first public hearing. They both addressed some concerns that I believe were answered to their satisfaction.

The meeting was professional, cordial, and the camaraderie was clearly evident.

All present were invited to attend the next NACHI chapter meeting to take place at “The Yard” in Manchester NH, on Wednesday September 27, 2006 Between 6:00 – 9:00.

State Representatives Baroody and Kopka will be our Guests of Honor and will be addressing this meeting.

Once again, I thank each and every inspector who attended!