"Indoor Air Quality for Inspectors" course

Picture is of bio-growth in a moistened area. Although it was in the garage the garage was not completely isolated from the living air. Mold spores can easily pass into the living and breathable air. Bad news and should have an abatement contractor perform proper corrective measures.

THX - Alan Senter

Always good to review the systems of my home. I found air leakage that I need to seal up between the garage and my living space framing.
Thanks Nick, Ben and all at NACHI!

Alan Senter

I just read Carbon Monoxide Detectors and Backdrafting. Two very important aspects of IAQ. I like the idea of placing a detector about 5 feet from the kitchen stove…

THX - Alan Senter

This was previously (accidentally?) linked to the following page…
From Residential Structural Design for Home Inspectors - Page 2 - InterNACHI Inspection Forum http://www.nachi.org/forum/f25/residential-structural-design-home-inspectors-98136/index2.html#post1312722#ixzz3VFctRsoz

Moisture intrusion from step, backer and apron flashing around a deteriorating chimney. The flashing has gotten bad enough the airflow in the attic will put the flame of a lighter out.

2015-03-28 20.32.26.jpg

As part of a pre-licensing field inspection, my house and its components were evaluated. A main IAQ concern was an inoperative whole house humidifier installed on the supply plenum. it was rusted and flaking, potentially allowing particulates to enter the living space. I installed a new one a couple of months ago and the old unit was truly nasty.

As a required posting for the IAQ course, attached below is an air filter for a furnace that, upon inspection, is clearly dated and well passed the 90 day mark at which it should be replaced.

Per the course instructions, I submit the following for the house I inspected as per the picture of the air filter above:

HEATING SYSTEM
I inspected the heating system using normal operating controls. The thermostat for the heating system was located on the main floor living room. The energy source is home heating fuel oil. The heating component is warm forced air. The heating system functioned properly.

COOLING SYSTEM
I inspected the cooling system using normal operating controls. The thermostat for the cooling system was located on the main floor living room. The system is a central air conditioning system. The cooling system operated properly.

MECHANICAL EXHAUST SYSTEMS
I inspected the mechanical exhaust systems in the kitchen, first floor bathroom, second floor bathroom and laundry room. The laundry room vent was connected properly and was functioning using normal operating controls. The two bathrooms vents worked properly using normal operating controls. However the vents were not exhausted to the outside of the building. This can create a moisture problem within the dwelling and should be corrected. The kitchen manual exhaust system was functioning using normal operating controls. However this system was also found not to be properly vented to the outside. This can create moisture problems within the dwelling and should be corrected.

DOORS AND WINDOWS
A representative number of doors and windows were inspected by testing for proper operation by opening and closing. All were found to operated properly.

As per the course instructions, I have read the articles regarding inspecting for air leaks using and infrared camera as well as indoor air quality and plants article. Plants can be an extremely useful too in removing pollutants from the air in the living space. Infra red cameras will prove to be an invaluable resource in establishing the location of air leaks.

The attached image shows a casement window that does not latch properly. Air infiltration was readily apparent at the window. My recommendation to the client was to repair the window so that less conditioned air is unintentionally lost to the outside.

bathroom exhaust fan to prevent excess moisture in the bathroom from steam.

2 bathroom exhaust fans discharging in attic, they should be routed to exterior to minimize moisture and possible development of mold

Blower Door

Checking air handler in attic and found front door off of air handler. Installed back in place.

Minor typo noted in section 1 definitions… Should read crawl…
Radon: A radioactive gas present in certain soils that decomposes into radioactive particles. In certain areas, radon compromises IAQ when it enters the home through basements or craw spaces.

Fixed that typo, Sam – thanks for bringing it to our attention!

Hall bathroom fan, the motor was not working at the time of the inspection.

No H-VAC system, only three fans two bathroom and one kitchen fan. The hall bathroom fan did not work at the time of the inspection, their was power but the motor did not work.

This is a water intrusion for a property management company we do work for. We completely dried out the structure, including the walls, and restored this property to a like-new condition. We’ve been doing this type of work for 40 years now.

As a requirement for the “Indoor Air Quality for Inspectors” course, the following was observed at a local residence:

I inspected the condition of doors and windows for ventilation purposes and found a couple of issues in need of attention. There was a gap in the French doors in the master bedroom so much so that sunlight could be seen in the crack where the two doors met. Also, a sliding window in the living room was missing some weather stripping and wind could easily be felt with my hand blowing through the gap.

Max Hall
Las Vegas Environmental Testing

Hi everyone:
IAQ
If there is one thing that stuck out for me in this course was the fact that all kinds of restrictions can happen with duct runs. Sometimes , other tradesmen will block. move and carelessly move duct runs. Those runs often get buried under insulation and forgotten about.
thanks
Nat