Infrared and acoustic imaging...our future?

Been reading some amazing stuff about infrared imaging…
Looks like HomeSafe practically has a monopoly/lock on the market for the technology (?)
Was told today about someone suffering from mold probs…had mold samples taken…occupant was told by medical doctor: “Get outa there!”
Took sheetrock off wall…found small plumbing leak…no stains or outward signs whatsoever…
Sooo…since it appears that an infrared imager would likely have detected the otherwise invisible plumbing leak…
IR can also detect hidden electrical “hot spots”…switches going bad…
overheating wiring, etc…
Not to mention that HomeSafe’s very pricey device can also detect otherwise invisible termites (with infrared coupled with acoustic detection)…
What’s your opinion?
Is infrared going to be in all of our bag of tools?

Why do you feel HomeSafe has a monopoly?

My reference to “monopoly”: I read the article in “Communicator” (Issue 45, Spring 2007, [FREA] )…
article title: “The Bug Whisperers”…featured HomeSafe’s device, which combines infrared and acoustics…
did a little internet shopping (admittedly not exhaustive research)…
didn’t run into any other devices which did BOTH IR and acoustics…
only HomeSafe’s…and didn’t find an option to actually purchase one…
only leasing…
Was interested in IR imaging a while back, for various reasons (such as doing ‘energy audits’), but sorta decided against it.

Thermal imaging is a great tool.

I don’t know much about the sound device.
What happens if the bugs are not eating that day?
Can you hear anything?

I could not hear them if they all carried Chain saws.
Too many years shooting competion.
Love the discusion on Cameras thanks to all.

Decision Made just waiting to make sure I get the correct one .
I had a person do my home His Camera only cost him $32,000:00 just too steep for me .
He also does a lot of industrial work and is thinking of getting into homes. Did mine for free expect I will give him a page on my Web site no charge to help him and my clients

All I need is a IR, I have a friend who can here spiders and scorpions walking, so i would get him to go along for the termites.

I would need some verification on the “hear the termites eating” claim.
Perhaps it is true… but how far away do you have to be to hear them?

I guess you could follow one and find out where they were all gathered
for the big “eat out”.

I believe you’ll find some of the active termite detection claims.
Since HomeSafe’s device couples IR with acoustics, I gather they start with the IR…looking for signal of moisture behind walls, since subterr. termites bring their own moisture with them…and then, using the acoustic part of the system to zero in on those moisture-detected areas, tuning in and specifically looking for the particular acoustical frequencies poduced by termites.

http://www.homesafeinspection.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=151&Itemid=114