inspect for safety-type glass.

Are INACHI Home Inspectors required to report on the presence of safety glass, or the lack thereof??

Nope…

The salient words are “not required to”, however if you see something that blatantly not safe, and is apparent to you as an inspector but may not be readily apparent to an untrained consumer you owe it to your client to say something.
While “not required to” may get you off in a court of law under the inspection agreement, but could you still fall foul under the Occupational Safety Act in your jurisdiction.

In Ontario, Canada, "among other responsibilities (see “My health and safety rights”](http://www.worksmartontario.gov.on.ca/scripts/default.asp?contentID=2-2-0&mcategory=health) ), under Ontario’s Occupational Health and Safety Act, a worker is required to:

• report to his or her employer or supervisor the absence of or defect in any equipment or protective device of which the worker is aware and which may endanger himself, herself or another worker
  • report to his or her employer or supervisor any contravention of this Act or the regulations or the existence of any hazard of which he or she knows.

This means if you know there is a problem or hazard with the work you’re assigned or if you notice something wrong that could hurt someone else, you have a legal duty to tell your boss. As the person paying you for the inspection in this case is the client, then for that time, according to Ministry of Labour and WSIB rules, they are technically your boss."

I’ve had on more than one occasion had to refuse to inspect, or call short an inspection because I felt it was unsafe for me, my client or the Realtor to continue. In these cases I also inform the home owner immediately too.

It may be out of the SoP but it helps me sleep at night.

Those who operate in Texas are required to report the absence of safety glass in hazardous locations.

That’s how it should be everywhere IMHO Chuck. God Bless Texas!

I will try to ask questions Chuck and Leonard know the answers too in the future. :wink:

Not by SOP but if I notice the lack of safety glazing/labeling at hazardous locations, I always mention it in the report and recommend repairs or replacement.