Inspected, Restricted Access

Hello,

On the SOP checklist, below the options for Inspected (No defects, matl defects, etc) there is a box for Restricted Access.

What is restricted access exactly? Why not just select Not Inspected / Inaccessible?

Any real life situations or examples would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

It would explain why the item/ area was not inspected. Obstructed areas, access to small or dangerous, etc.

3 Likes

Put it into your own words and note what and why it could not be inspected.

Snow, ice, water, temperature, debris, fresh paint on foundation, wall & ceiling cover, utilities being turned off, locked doors, owners or tenants refusing access, furniture, stored items, animals, flea infestation, sealed access doors, too small or blocked access, broken glass in crawlspaces, & clothes in washers/dryers are just a few of the examples that I have prevented me from completing full inspections.

2 Likes

If there is a new Corvette parked under the attic hatch in the garage, that would be a restriction from accessing that attic space. I report the restriction as to the reason why the attic space was not inspected in the report and always include a picture.

4 Likes

Jeff’s got a nice list and Kevin beat me to it, I was thinking of the 68 Camaro sitting under the attic access, also hornets nest(s) or anything that keeps you from SAFELY performing the inspection. Safety first.

3 Likes

It means you don’t have to do this :right_arrow_curving_down: (but if you’re going to do it, be very, very careful. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

So it would be okay if it was an old Corvette…???

I sure hope that is your own garage, otherwise that’s just crazy.

6 Likes

No, actual inspection. Turned out ok, lol.

Hank

4 Likes

That belongs in the wtf thread :wink: :laughing:

5 Likes

As in, WTF, let’s get this done, I don’t want to make a return trip.

3 Likes

Maybe InterNACHI wants you to make an educational video on "How to get the job done without having to make a return site visit”. :face_with_spiral_eyes:

4 Likes

Spoken like someone that collects Spectora commission as a side hustle.

3 Likes

How to be Efficient and Careful, a Home Inspector’s Guide to not Damaging Personal Property. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

So, this picture would be in there as “What not to do” and “See how much the telescoping ladder flexes dangerously…things I shouldn’t have forgotten”. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

No, there’s a gap. Ladder never touched the truck. But towel just in case!

Even after the 32 lbs. I dropped recently, if I went up that ladder it would touch the truck. :grin:

4 Likes

I went a little more vertical with the ladder than normal, to help reduce diagonal “flex.” And, I also opened the cover very, very slowly. If there was any sign of items coming out, it was going to stop right there.

Uh huh… …:roll_eyes:

1 Like