Inspecting Electrical Panels

Since you are a NON-Member Guest what is your goal in this line of questioning?

You are confusing a few things here…When you remove a dead front you are not dismantling.
You are not taking it to pieces.
A dead front is in its design to be removed. The screws are a safety feature.
Why don’t you call the state and ask them ?

1 Like

Where in the code does it say that?

I am trying to inform those who work in Ohio what the rules are. I have been saying this for years. I am the reason that there is a letter from the state to Mark Roe. I was at the meeting where Jan asked them if they could explain why they were holding a screwdriver.

Ohio has different rules. Its just that simple. As I have said before I wish that inspectors could take the ICC test and inspect electrical systems. This is no different than practicing engineering without a license.

I have may arrangements with some central Ohio inspectors to do the electrical inspections for them at a discounted rate so that they could offer the best inspection and be in compliance with Ohio law. Others around the state should do the same.

From Ohio’s new Home Inspector law:
(G)“Readily accessible” means available for visual inspection without requiring a person to move or dismantle personal property, take destructive measures, or take any other action that will involve risk to a person or to the property.

These two definitions are effective July 1st and are in the Residential Code of Ohio.
READILY ACCESSIBLE. Capable of being reached quickly for operation,
renewal or inspection without requiring those to whom ready access is requisite
to climb over or remove obstacles or to resort to portable ladders or access
equipment (see “Accessible”).
READY ACCESS (TO). That which enables a device, appliance or equipment
to be directly reached, without requiring the removal or movement of any panel,
door or similar obstruction.

This is from the NEC
2017 Code Language:

Accessible, Readily (Readily Accessible). Capable of being reached quickly for operation, renewal, or inspections without requiring those to whom ready access is requisite to take actions such as to use tools (other than keys), to climb over or under, to remove obstacles, or to resort to portable ladders, and so forth. (CMP-1)

No place is it written that the inside of an electrical panel considered readily accessible.

I understand now. Yep!

1 Like

Sour-Grapes

3 Likes

Wow. Try to inform those in Ohio and mad people from around the country come out. I posted this in Ohio for those working in Ohio.

I’ll just let them get sued then. Ain’t no skin off my nose.

LOL! Looks like we are getting’ to you :grinning:

1 Like

Mike,
I understand what you are saying about Ohio’s new inspector law, and (G)" Readily Accessible".What about inspecting furnaces? Many furnaces I have seen (Especially older ones) need a few screws removed from the front cover to check the heat exchanger, leaks, overall condition, sometimes the model # is behind the cover etc. Does this now mean we have to disclaim the furnace because it is not readily accessible and recommend a qualified HVAC Tech? What about checking a sump pump? I have seen some pit covers that have a couple of screws to remove before you can check the pump’s operation? Do we disclaim this also and recommend hiring a qualified plumber?
It will be interesting to see what the board says once they are chosen

3 Likes

SO… there may be a few double taps, overheating conductors with the insulation bubbled & melted inside BUT it’s OK - no worries! :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I don’t think that looking at a furnace is dangerous. Removing a panel cover IS. Every professional knows this.

If a sump pump is sealed you can’t look inside! Period. Unless you are certified to reseal it.

The new board will decide how current Ohio law limits our inspections. You have to understand the definitions before you can understand the rules.

I see that you are a State Licensed Mold Assessor #MRSA1573. How about if I started a new business down the street from you and offered $20 mold testing with no license?

I mean its only fair. I took an online test and now I’m an expert!

I’ll say it again. I want Home Inspectors to inspect electrical systems. But in Ohio we will have to change the law.

I think that if you can pass the test then inspect electrical. If not well sorry about your luck.

I see that you are a State Licensed Mold Assessor #MRSA1573. How about if I started a new business down the street from you and offered $20 mold testing with no license?
I mean its only fair. I took an online test and now I’m an expert!

What the heck does that have to do with anything… or dangerous overheated wiring.
You are welcome to be my neighbor for 20 buck mold stuff, always room for more prostitutes of the industry.

I am not sure if I understand what is going on here. I think I am understanding we are NOT allowed to enter an electrical panel because of the new laws in Ohio. Or is it we don’t have to if we don’t want to?

Greg. Here is the definition:
(G)“Readily accessible” means available for visual inspection without requiring a person to move or dismantle personal property, take destructive measures, or take any other action that will involve risk to a person or to the property.
Before April 5th nothing prohibited you from doing something ‘risky’. Square D says it is risky.
“WARNING: HAZARD OF ELECTRICAL SHOCK OR BURN. TURN OFF POWER SUPPLYING THE ELECTRICAL PANEL OR COMBINATION SERVICE ENTRANCE DEVICE BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO INSPECT THE CIRCUIT BREAKER, IF INSTALLED, OR MAKE ANY REPAIR”
Even if it was not risky, you can’t inspect the inside of the panel.
(B)The “practice of electrical inspection” includes any ascertainment of compliance with the Ohio building code, or the electrical code of a political subdivision of this state by a person, who, for compensation, inspects the construction and installation of electrical conductors, fittings, devices, and fixtures for light, heat or power services equipment, or the installation, alteration, replacement, maintenance, or repair of any electrical wiring and equipment that is subject to any of the aforementioned codes.

Michael !
You still harping on this?

1 Like

Yes. Why do you care? You are not in Ohio. I’m just sharing Ohio’s rules.

Ohio law is clear and has been improved to take any doubt out as to who can inspect an electrical panel.
Readily Accessible in Ohio.docx (46.7 KB)

According to you it is clear. We would like to hear from other representatives from Ohio.

There are 517 individuals allowed to inspect the inside of an electrical panel in Ohio. This one wants to help HI be allowed to look inside. We stopped licensed electricians from inspecting manufactured home sets in 2006-2007. The law is clear.

I could help the cause or sit back and do nothing. It affects me no way either way. I just post the same things that I have said for years. You do not have to take my expert advice.

What makes you such an expert?