Inspecting the roof

Would it be better, as far as time goes, to just get a temporary ridge tie down(not the type that nails into the roof) or go with the drone? (this would be for steep slopes, or greater than 2 stories)

Not sure what you mean by a temporary ridge anchor. I’ve never seen one that doesn’t require some sort of mechanical fastener.

If I cannot walk the roof, my approach is a ladder at the edge of the roof. I have a ladder that accesses 20 plus feet for tall roofs. I’m not a fan of drones. I’ve managed with my long ladder on the tall buildings that I inspect. Many times those tall buildings have shed dormers, so one can walk around way up there on a 4/12 roof, thus doing a very good roof inspection. Tall condos can be an issue, but I’ve always managed to get a reasonable view of the roof. I’ve carried ladders through the house to use a ladder on the deck or balcony for roof access.

Are you having problems accessing tall roofs, or is this speculation on your part? Do you have a 24’ extension ladder? Are you a NACHI certified inspector?

This is speculation, Im new so I’m wondering what would be the best cost-basis for investing in new tools. Saw this on youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVxaNyPHYnE If I had a rope attached I wouldn’t mind checking out every nuck and crany of a roof. I just need to have my mock inspections done then ill be a certified inspector :slight_smile:

Way too time consuming and dependent on trees and such for anchors. Use a long ladder. The metal roof on that youtube video can be easily inspected with a long ladder and two or three sets. You’ll see what you need to see with a ladder. Start out your work with a ladder and after a few years, decide if you want to use a drone. If you know where to look for roof defects, you set your ladder close to those items (sewer vents, roof transitions, flashings, chimneys, etc).

4 Likes

Besides a drone, multiple ladder types I also have this for steep roofs. Works well.
51WDLolFT7L.AC

5 Likes

You may also want to look into using a camera pole. They work very well for steep roofs that you can’t walk. As far as a drone, get licensed before you make a purchase. You may start the course and find it too difficult. That’s what happened to me.

2 Likes

I utilize ladders, a drone and a camera pole. With steep roofs you can just about see the roof from the ground and a good zoom camera. Just follow the SOP. It does not say you have to walk upon any roof. 7/12 and below I walk on. Anything more I do not unless it has a porch that’s walkable. With any metal, shake, or tile roof you really don’t want to get on anyways, they get slick.
You can buy a pair of cougar paws that stick real good to shingles and you can about walk on a 10/12 with caution.

Just read and follow your SOP. Get to know it well. It states what you can or don’t have to do.

4 Likes

I understand the sop states what you can and don’t have to do, but from what I understand, there are many inspectors that go beyond the sop when it relates to getting on the rooftops

Read your SOP. You do not have to mount roofs.
All the work can be done from the ground with a good high zoom camera and knowing what to look for.
I was sent drone footage for a small flat roof encompassed by steep cornices. Terrible resolution.

I still mount steep roofs occasionally, but just not as many.

And you know these guys are out there putting up anchors and harnesses to get on a roof? I guarantee they are not. If it’s steep they use a drone or a camera from the eaves or ground. No client is going to expect you get walk on a steep roof. Just know you must get your FAA part 107 license to use a drone for inspections.

I will not walk a roof that needs special safety equipment.

I walk as many as I can.

I will do a check down. Walking the roof, roof edge via ladder, binoculars and then a drone. Often I do all of the above on a single roof. I want to lay my eyes on all of it.

We want to be as efficient as possible but some things just take time.

3 Likes

We use ladders, binoculars and drones. We also have a camera pole, it sets in the corner of the garage and hasn’t been used in years except to knock a drone out of a tree once. Didn’t find it very useful for inspections.

The drone is great so long as you know what you’re looking for but frankly it takes more time than walking the roof.

1 Like

I walk roofs, inspect roofs from a ladder, use binoculars, and fly a drone when needed, not only to inspect the roof but also the tops of some chimneys.

I have tried using a camera pole but have found it to be a cumbersome and time consuming option.

IMO the best way to inspect a roof is to walk it, but only if it’s safe to do so. I did things in my younger years that frankly, I consider stupid today, but luckily for me I never fell or had any debilitating accidents.

2 Likes

There are also many that have a fall off the roof and get injured, some seriously, and even fatally!!
Are you being paid enough to take that risk?
How does your family feel about that?

3 Likes

If the drone footage had terrible resolution it was a “terrible” drone.

Good drones are like good cameras, they cost more.

5 Likes

I agree with Kevin on the camera pole. Even if I support it on the roof edge etc. I am still too shaky with it.
Since I passed 70 years old, I walk few roofs without my roof ladder for support. I feel too unsteady.

3 Likes

Ya’ll need to get an Insta360.

Stable and takes 4k, 360 images. I’ve only got it on my 6 foot pole, but I have a 24 foot one.

Pause the video and spin it around. Make sure you change it to be highest resolution too.

2 Likes

I found a “problem.” :sweat_smile: :blush:

5 Likes

Me too…people actually live that close together? :face_with_peeking_eye:

6 Likes

We’re old. The roads are empty by 10. No noise, no children, no crime.

All the drug addicts and problem people, are, for the most part weeded out by the time they could buy here.

Edit to add…much nicer out back.

2 Likes