Inspecting vacant houses

Originally Posted By: jsmith3
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I have just been hired to inspect a house that has been vacant for 9 months. Any tips on things I should look for? This property has a well and septic. This is my first unoccupied home. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks Jon

Originally Posted By: dvalley

usually has all sorts of leaks or seepages throughout the house due to dried up O-rings and gaskets. Attention to detail should be directed towards every plumbing fixture and supply/waste piping throughout the house.

Then, make sure you operate the heating mechanicals the whole time your there. I put all my heating units through a stress test by placing the thermostat on maximum capacity for at least a half hour.

Then inspect the remaining house the way you would normally inspect an occupied home.

Don't forget to do a last minute/final walk through of the basement/crawl to check for any leaks from upper floors.

This excerpt is courtesy of Russel Ray?

Hydrogen gas can accumulate in hot water systems that have not been operated for a period of time, such as in vacant residences. Under adverse conditions, this hydrogen gas can cause fires at faucets and explosions at water-using appliances. If your new home has been vacant for more than a few days, flush the hot water system by turning on all hot water faucets and letting them run for several minutes. Do not use the hot water faucets near any open flames (cigarettes, candles, etc.) and do not use any hot-water-using appliances (dishwasher) or nearby heat-producing appliances (dishwasher, cook top, etc.) until the hot water system has been flushed. If you have a multi-story residence, start turning on hot water faucets in the highest floor first and work your way down to the lower floors.

Good Luck.

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: bbadger

dvalley wrote:

This excerpt is courtesy of Russel Ray?

[i]Hydrogen gas can accumulate in hot water systems that have not been operated for a period of time, such as in vacant residences. Under adverse conditions, this hydrogen gas can cause fires at faucets and explosions at water-using appliances.

Can someone point me to a source of this startling info?

The only thing I find when I search:

"Hydrogen accumulate water"

and other variations is HI sites.

I also found Hydrogen Sulfate build up. That was not a fire hazard, although a health hazard.

I am going to keep looking. ![icon_confused.gif](upload://qv5zppiN69qCk2Y6JzaFYhrff8S.gif)

--
Bob Badger
Electrical Construction & Maintenance
Moderator at ECN

Originally Posted By: gmagee

Bob -

Try here: www.cdc.gov/elcosh/docs/d0400/d000435/d000435.html

Greg

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

Usually they shut down power to the well. Make sure the water is up and running before you arrive to do the inspection. We don’t flip breakers, etc to turn on the well or other items. Just make sure power and water, gas are all “on” to all the units.

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector