Inspector Board...

Since we are in the game I just want to make sure that we(HIs) are calling the plays.

If, and that is a big IF…there does become a HI “licensing board” there should only be one or at the most two other non HI people on the board. If you go look up the composition of other professional boards that is the way these are set up. The SUPER majority of the members are from those professions and there is usually only two “others” from the public and NOT someone who is from a related profession. Someone mentioned a requirement of a board member being 3 yrs in the business…way too low. At the three yr mark too many inspectors are still too green and inexperienced not only in inspections but just in business, which is sure to be a factor in a board determining applicants’ eligibility for license. Some have only performed a cursory number of inspections in those first few years. You want people who are seasoned, mature, well respected inspectors. In the past there have been to many butt kissing snakes who have wanted to set themselves up pretty and skewer anyone thinking of breaking into the business. This whole licensing thing is nothing new. It has been attempted for many years before it finally got thru and leave it to good old Charlie Crist to be the one to rubber stamp it.

Looking at how the other professions have already sought to run ours I would support a board.
However I believe as Doug, it needs to be primarily HI’s. Most (if not all)existing boards in the state have as least one member to represent the public but it’s unusual for other professions to be members. The CLIB is an exception but only because they cover so many licenses.
I also agree with Doug on the experience level, it needs to be better than three, perhaps 5 (as a minimum) would work.

BTW- I’ve got 3 years in as an HI and though I have over 30 years in construction and 25 running a business I think only the HI experience should count.

Not sure I would agree with your assessment of years in business. I personally know some guys that have had inspection businesses for around three years that are more knowledgeable then the seasoned vets. And to be honest years in business if you are a one man shop do not automatically make you a business man

I don’t really think you or I am going to be setting up the rules or criteria for a nonexistent board and further more I could care less what the hell FL does on this anymore. I am retiring from “home” inspections this summer and no longer have a dog in this fight. I fought this nonsense for almost 18 yrs and now don’t have to anymore. The typical home inspector never makes it to their third anniversary and most of the time it isn’t that they don’t know how to do home inspections, its because they suck at business. There are always going to exceptions but on average most bail out before they hit the third year and those stats are pretty consistent across the country. That has been discussed here and other HI boards and blogs numerous times going back years to when CMI first was floated.

these industry licensing boards are a waste of time. no board has ever won a case against a licenseholder who challenged them. they do not conduct discovery - duh!

this is all a bunch of posturing by those who want to use this for personal gain and rarely do the members represent the real interests of their constituents - don’t bother arguing, this is my opinion.

any inspector who is concerned about this profession should be arguing for increased education/trade knowledge to become a HI and pushing for 5 years OJT just like property appraisers, septic contractors.

think you are a marketing guru, have all the answers to home inspection, making the market in your area - you have nothing to use against the 50 new inspectors who have under $1k invested and just got Google to recognize their webpage - ANY HOME INSPECTED FOR $99 - GUARANTEED. Certified by XXXXXXX, Licensed and Insured. You will spend all of your time trying to defend your position as being the best or you will have to tell your subcontracted employees they have to inspect a 3000sf home for $25 so you can make a substandard living. By the way, these same newly licensed inspectors are killing your insurance business by $50 or free wind mits and the poor quality which will eventually give the carriers the muscle they need to get rid of the credit process.

right now, that is where this is going and I see no evidence that any of the current “leaders” have done anything to recognize it, control it or god forbid, stop it. But we have a SOP or I have heard we have one.

I just don’t see where any of our self appointed leaders have a clue.

“AMEN” to that …the best post on this thread !

Im with Steven Taylor on this subject. be carefull what you wish for is good advice.

I completely agree with you, most people dont have a clue to run a business. As far as things that happened in the past, I think we need to forget about the past and move forward. The industry is completely different than it was 18 years ago.

Great discussion and all valid points of view

You bet its different and not all good. One word of caution though, if you forget the past, you are doomed to repeat it. The very same crew (non home inspectors) that pushed for licensing were doing it to control the home inspectors one way or the other. Everything they wanted did not make it into the law like they had planned, so now efforts are taking place to shore up their positions, not your. You guys are the ones who depend on this for a living and will have to for years to come. When I started YOU ran your business and if the inspector failed it was because he caused it to fail. Now you have all kinds of forces in and out of the State government working against you, not for you. Look at how many years now this thing has been floundering along with little tweaks and changes.

Lots of great comments so far. If you want a board just be aware of how it is set up, who gets appointed and remember, the devil is in the details. We used to have a HI licensing board in Pensacola. It was frigging dismal failure and became so intrusive and obstructionist I hired a lawyer to look into the formation and their conclusion it was completely illegitimately formed and instituted. I won’t wish you guys good luck because there is no such thing. You better rely on smart people and forget about luck. Happy trails…

Thank you for providing a historical perspective. I would agree with you and your assessment is on point.

William,

I could not agree more. That’s why I fought licensing for 10+ years, but unfortuntaley, there were many other home inspectors who thought it would be the cat’s meow. They will pay the price.

I can assure you that I will be promoting more stringent licensing requirements in the future, but I’ll probably be dead and gone by the time that becomes a reality.

Bump. Still looking for input. At least vote.

ASHI’s past President writes:

Licensing requirements are to states as entrance requirements are to associations. Perhaps see what you can do about this first Mark: Home | American Society of Home Inspectors, ASHI

I’m not claiming InterNACHI’s entrance requirements are grueling, but the above link makes our entire industry look like bozos.

I honestly see no reason to have any other professions on the board. Yes have one non HI on the board who can give a different perspective, but voting rights? I question that.
As for having a realtor, a gc etc, the very people who are trying to control us already on the board, why let the camel get its nose into the tent. Do you honestly think they will not report back to their people what they are hearing.
The board should be there to further the profession and prevent other industries from trying to control us, that is all.

If the board wanted opinions or positions from realtors, insurance industry reps, or contractors, they could just ask them- rather than giving them a seat at the table. I would also have concerns about having home inspectors that hold other licenses serving on the board. Especially the scenario where the board members are all contractors/inspectors. That scenario would open the possibility of undue influence from the contractor faction of home inspectors.

How about a board where all members must have a HI license?

How would Home Inspector licensing and enforcement be administered without a “board”?