Insulation description

Looking for help on identifying the proper name for this yellow colored, friable and powdery insulation. It is in an attic, and would be the wall that is above the garage leading to the interior. I have researched the forum, and some other sources and I do not believe that it is a deteriorated formaldehyde foam, or Perlite. It could possibly be a fire block material as well. There was a building paper installed over it. Any help is appreciated

1 Like

Joshua, was it throughout the attic or just at the separation wall?

Just at that wall

Sometimes knowing the era in which a material was likely installed can assist with identification. What is the age of the home? Did this installation appear to be a retrofit after original construction?

I am also at a loss to provide positive identification.

Probably some kind of deteriorated foam to assist in the fire separation location…is my best guess.

The home was built in 1972.

It looks like Urea Formaldehyde Foam Insulation (UFFI) from here.


Good eye, Marcel! :+1:

Thanks for the info. I’ve been looking at other UFFI pics today, and this is the closest one I’ve seen. I appreciate your insight!