Interior of Distribution Panel Painted

I know it’s against code to paint the interior of a distribution panel.

What are the reasons? See attached picture.

painted_panel.jpg

was there a fire in that house Skip ???

Inhibiting satisfactory contact at terminations would be one reason to keep foreign coatings out of the panel.

There wasn’t a fire. This is a condo. The interior was recently repainted for resale.

There is a sticker inside most panels that prohibits paint contamination. They manufacturers claim that it has a deleterious effect on the plastic parts of the bus substructure. I happen to doubt that myself, but paint on the bus proper sure is bad. Plus, now all the conductors are marked white, which is also a violation. There is no “fix” for that panel now, other than replacement of the panel.

The reason is a lazy a$$ contractor. Have them replace a panel or 2 and maybe they will quit screwing up. Tell the seller that they just lost a sale if not replaced.

I have NO idea why some painters are THAT lazy/STUPID!
For some contractors it’s ALL about productivity and the bottom line.
Quality, craftsmanship and respect can be hard to find sometimes.
This is why I stay FAR away from tract/production jobs.

I agree, a few back charges and they’ll get the point.

110.12© Integrity of Electrical Equipment and Connections. Internal parts of electrical equipment, including busbars, wiring terminals, insulators, and other surfaces, shall not be damaged or contaminated by foreign materials such as paint, plaster, cleaners, abrasives, or corrosive residues. There shall be no damaged parts that may adversely affect safe operation or mechanical strength of the equipment such as parts that are broken; bent; cut; or deteriorated by corrosion, chemical action, or overheating.