InterNACHI releases Thermography Addendum to Inspection Contract. Free.

Member password protected: http://www.nachi.org/iraddendum.htm

I suggest that the following sentence be changed.

Infrared cameras cannot only see in real-time, but can also measure the temperatures of target objects to within 1/10 of a Fahrenheit degree.

Depending on what type of IR camera you are using, and the camera settings, environment, distance and materials that are being scanned, this statement is not needed for the home inspector and may not be accurate in some cases.

EXAMPLE
When the home inspector is looking for a moisture problem, they are not seeking to measure the temperature of the moisture, but only locate the anomaly via the cameras images. In the process, the camera will measure the APPARANT temperature, but not the exact temperature (to within 1/10th of a degree)… unless the settings are set to compensate for the materials being scanned and the adjusted for the environment at that time. The distance and type of camera can make difference too.

If you were to be cross examined by someone trying to discredit your findings, they could pick on your temperature declaration and thus show you have overstated your position… knowing that your camera was probably used in such a manner as to only reveal a close APPARENT temperature, which is perfectly OK, as long as you state your findings are only APPARENT.

WHY is APPARENT Temperature OK?
By stating that your images reveal ONLY APPARENT temperatures, and are only used to identify the LOCATION of certain anomalies, then the inspector would be staying closer to the actual application the IR camera, as it is really being used during a normal home inspection. This point was emphasized strongly during our building science course, so that the inspector did not exposed themselves to a fight over “NUMBERS”, when it is not needed for this type of application. Why expose yourself to a fight when you can simply adjust your statements to reflect how the camera is really being used.?

The inspector only needs to compare patterns and differences in the images he sees with the IR camera vs the other method of seeking to actually measure exact temperature numbers, and diagnose problems with this type of quantitative analysis.

The inspector is not dependent on temperatures readings to justify his findings, as much as he is dependent on verifying the anomalies with other tools and methods after finding the problem area. The camera found the problem and other methods verify it. Even with electrical hot spots, it is better to say things appeared to be too hot, than to try proving exact numbers, when it is not needed. Let the electrician analyze and fix the problem.

Qualitative and Quantitative?

There are basically TWO different methods to measure Infrared Themography.

Qualitative
·Analysis of image
·Apparent temperature
·Find Anomaly
·Find location
·Analyze PATTERNS

Quantitative
·Temperature measurement
·Compensation made
·Classify seriousness of anomly

Which one does the average building inspector need for regular inspections?

ANSWER: Qualitative

In other words, if you a find moisture spot in the ceiling from the pattern shown on your IR camera…

• The temperature of the moisture is irrelevant.
  • The PATTERN is relevant.

These two fundamental methods of using the camera are the primary difference between the traditional uses of the IR camera in other types of industry, and the use of the IR camera for doing a home inspection. It is important to state this difference in your agreement. The main word to remember is the word APPARENT TEMPERATURE, which protects you by stating that which is closer to the truth. We are not measuring exact temperatures, we are finding defects through thermal images (pictures on the screen of the IR camera), even though those images are made up of various APPARENT temperatures.

SIDE NOTE
If you adjust your cameras emissivity settings for the materials being scanned or if you do NOT adjust them, you still see the SAME image on the screen. Your E-settings do not affect the image you see on the screen (except if you adjust the scan and focus, which are not part of the emissivity settings). Your E-settings may change the number read outs displayed but not the image. Home inspectors are analyzing the images not so much the numbers, for the most part. Leave your emissivity setting high (factory default on the BCAM) and your readings will be close enough for the HI application.

**NOTE**: Although Infrared Thermal Imaging is a far better diagnostic tool than the naked eye, it does not guarantee 100%   accuracy, unless removal or destruction of components can be achieved to validate findings.  When possible, other tools are used to verify Thermal Images, but even with these considerations we do not claim to have x-ray vision.  Conditions may change and cause the **apparent temperature** readings revealed in Thermal Images to be **different at any given time.**

The Thermo Addendum should be adapted to your State’s liability requirements. For example, liability in MA is no less than 3 years.

Good post John.

Also I think the 1/10th of a degree is C not F (page 3-1 of the ITC training manual). That may not be much, but like you said in court a smart @ss lawyer may have a field day with it.

Thanx for the addendum…

Nick,

Please remove this document ASAP!!

Kevin

Mind telling us why Kevin?

Ask Nick…He knows why. That’s all I’m going to say for now.

Kevin

Good post John. Another change we’re making is to go from “thermography” to “thermal imaging” for 2 reasons. The first is marketing, people understand what thermal imaging is. The second is that we already use the term “thermal imaging” in sites like www.InspectorLocator.com

Nick,

Thanks… it is worth repeating until everyone gets it.

We’ve also added a better description of what it is. And we’ve changed Customer to CLIENT so that it corresponds to InterNACHI’s home inspection agreement. We’re having it checked against laws in all states a provinces now.

I’m going to ask one more time. Please remove this document.

Kevin

Nick,

Where is the honor and integrity in complete plagiarism (word for word)?

I never gave you permission to reproduce my documents. You ripped pieces of the ITI Addendum I shared with you and then posted the document on the InterNACHI BB for members for FREE.

There are sections in this document that are a “word for word” copy of my ITI addendum, which is copy written to Prospex, Inc and Richardson Home Inspections, LLC.

NACHI Addendum:
3. The thermal imaging work will be limited in scope to the equipment used by Inspector. The inspection will be a non-invasive and non-destructive examination of the visible, safely accessible and readily accessible portions of the interior and/or exterior of the structure at the for atypical temperature/thermal variations conditions which may be consistent with the presence of moisture or atypical thermal performance. NO OTHER WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES REGARDING FUTURE USE, HABITABILITY, OPERABILITY, SUITABILITY, OR MERCHANTABILITY WITH RESPECT TO THE SUBJECT PROPERTY ARE PROVIDED.

My ITI Addendum:
3. The scope of work of the (ITI) Survey(s)/Scan is limited to the use of the FLIR SYSTEMS™ FLIR® ThermaCAM® BCAM SD to perform a non-invasive and non-destructive examination of the visible, safely accessible and readily accessible portions of the interior and/or exterior of the primary residential structure at the subject property for atypical temperature/thermal variations conditions which may be consistent with the presence of moisture or atypical thermal performance. Such conditions will be documented in the Richardson Home Inspections (RHI) Home Inspection Report and will be accompanied by both natural (visible light) and infrared photographs where applicable. Richardson Home Inspections (RHI) warrants that it will perform the (ITI) Survey(s)/Scan in accordance the scope of work as described in this Pre-Inspection Agreement Addendum and the Richardson Home Inspections (RHI) Infrared Thermal Imaging Description of Services and General Information. NO OTHER WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES REGARDING FUTURE USE, HABITABILITY, OPERABILITY, SUITABILITY, OR MERCHANTABILITY WITH RESPECT TO THE SUBJECT PROPERTY ARE PROVIDED.

NACHI Addendum:
4. Thermal imaging tests do NOT include any inspections, examinations, or evaluations for harmful, dangerous, or toxic substances or materials or environmental hazards including but not limited to: mold or other bio-aerosols, radon or other gases, lead, asbestos or other non-biological airborne particulates, or contaminants, petroleum products or petrochemicals, radioactive materials, non-ionizing electromagnetic radiation, or plant, animal, or insect secretions or excretions. If Inspector offers any information or opinions about any of the forgoing, this information shall be deemed to be informational only and supplied as a courtesy to the Client, and shall not be deemed to be an amendment to or waiver of the foregoing exclusions.

My ITI Addendum:
5. Specifically excluded from this (ITI) Survey(s)/Scan are any inspections, examinations, or evaluations for, sampling of, testing of, or analysis of anysuspected harmful, dangerous, or toxic substances or materials or environmental hazards including but not limited to: mold or other bio-aerosols, radon or other gases, lead, asbestos or other non-biological airborne particulates or in situ materials, waterborne, airborne, or soil borne materials or contaminants, volatile organic materials, petroleum products or petrochemicals, radioactive materials, non-ionizing electromagnetic radiation, or plant, animal, or insect secretions or excretions. In the event that the Richardson Home Inspections (RHI) Home Inspection Report or oral statements made by the Inspector supply any information about any of the forgoing, this information shall be deemed to be informational only and supplied as a courtesy to the Client, and shall not be deemed to be an amendment to or waiver of the foregoing exclusions.

NACHI Addendum:
5. Customer agrees to indemnify and hold harmless Inspector, its agents, employees, and inspectors for the presence of any environmental hazards and any harmful, dangerous, or toxic substances or materials at the subject property as well as for any and all damages and liability for any mitigation, construction, or any other costs associated with the presence of any such hazards or substances or materials.

My ITI Addendum:
6. Customer agrees to indemnify and hold harmless Richardson Home Inspections (RHI), and its agents, employees, and inspectors for the presence of any environmental hazards and any harmful, dangerous, or toxic substances or materials at the subject property as well as for any and all damages and liability for any mitigation, construction, or any other costs associated with the presence of any such hazards or substances or materials.

NACHI Addendum:
6. If Customer desires to obtain information regarding the presence of any environmental hazards or harmful, dangerous, or toxic substances or materials, it is solely the responsibility of the Customer to contact and engage the services of qualified individuals or companies that specialize in the areas of specific interest or concern. Such qualified individuals or companies may include, but are not limited to, those specializing in geo-technical engineering; moisture testing; environmental surveying, testing, and analysis; industrial hygiene; mold testing and analysis; and radon gas testing.

My ITI Addendum:
7. If Customer desires to obtain information regarding the presence of any environmental hazards or harmful, dangerous, or toxic substances or materials, it is solely the responsibility of the Customer to contact and engage the services of qualified individuals or companies that specialize in the areas of specific interest or concern. Such qualified individuals or companies may include, but are not limited to, those specializing in geo-technical engineering; moisture testing; environmental surveying, testing, and analysis; industrial hygiene; mold testing and analysis; and radon gas testing.

This is copy written material, so please remove it from the document. Prospex, Inc and Richardson Home Inspections, LLC own all rights.

Thanks for sharing Kevin.

Very nice work Kevin.

Must everything be run by the lawyers these days? :frowning:

Let’s wait for Nick to respond before passing judgment fellas.

All we have now is an accusation and no knowledge of any communication between Kevin and Nick.

Nick and Kevin,

I appreciate sharing this agreement.

I’ll be using it for all my IR clients.

We have everyone and his uncle tweaking it. By Tuesday it should be close to bullet proof.

Kevin, see post#1, it only appears public to you because you are logged in as a member.

Only after it is all done will we remove the member-only password protection from the doc.

So, that makes it ok to copy it?

Simply amazing :frowning:

I can sleep at night nowing my side of the street is clean. You should abide by the very same Code of Ethics just like every other member.

It’s obvious to me that you feel you’re above and beyond that, and that speaks volumes about your character.

I’m done with it all…I will not be posting on this subject further.

Kevin

We have 2 attorneys, 2 IR trainers, 1 IR camera company exec, the folks on this message board, and myself all working on it and tweaking it and 2 other similar addendums and YES… if we find anything good in anyone else’s addendum we’re going to canabalize it and incorporate it into InterNACHI’s for the benefit of the members. No shame in that.