IR camera on its way

Not all photos in the video were from an i3. This is not the first time this has been done to promote IR cameras. The i3 would not meet RESNET standards either.

The ones that were from the i3 had very high delta T… and this created wonderful photos. The trouble is, in the real world, not all defects show up with a delta T of 15 F.

If only it was that easy…:roll:

Please listen to Scott… this is the truth.

Lava lamp… LOL…:mrgreen:

Something some of us have been preaching for several years now… :wink:

Unfortunate that so many inspectors look at IR bass ackwards. The i3 would make a fine industrial use and electro-mechanical imager where the high delta T’s abound.
“good enough” mentality in residential IR is going to give you indigestion and plenty of regret in the real world. Even 120x120 imagers have limitations. It’s not all about pixel resolution… but a good Level I class before you made that purchase decision would have taught ya that… enjoy! :wink:

Let me know when the 120x120 get to a grand.:slight_smile:

This camera is more for “Direct Measurements” (measuring wires in an electrical panel).

The large part of HI work is indirect.

I have a T-400 and find it difficult at times to get what I need from it.

We can go on and on about this. The main issue is that every camera was designed for a particular application limitation. You need to know what you need to get the job done.

Every camera mfg out there “tries” to get this information out there. But HI’s looking to demand high prices on HI’s want to spend the least they can find…

You must agree that they would not try to convince you that you can use an I3 when they can sell you a B-660.

If you took the education first, you would have the knowledge to invest in the correct camera for your needs.

What Scott Gilligan wrote is 100% accurate. PAY ATTENTION! The Flir I3 is a POS and will probably get you into a serious amount of trouble. You NEED to now how to use the camera. Do you understand emissivity, reflectivity, delta T, level and span? If not, DO NOT buy or use the camera until you do. You are begging for trouble without training and by using an inferior camera. Just my 2 cents.

They can make one for a grand, but it still won’t out perform the 60 X 60.
You see, resolution is not all that matters.

Did you know a 320 x 240 is only equal to a 240 x 240?

The space between the pixels has more to do with anything than the number of them.

When thoes cameras hit $1k, every one will be using 620 x 480.
No one will want to look at your scans…

You don’t need to know this stuff because the I3 can not adjust for it…

You can’t even focus it and that is the #1 issue in the accuracy of all scans.

I don’t know David, that flir video sure does make that I3 look like it produces some great images…:wink: I almost feel like i got ripped off with my midrange camera.

Speaking of that, I finally got mine to cooperate today. Plaster ceiling with 17% moisture. I actually was able to see the damn water this time. A little tuning and tada!

That’s not fair Linas… what would you recommend to check for “color bleed” when playing with logo’s? :twisted::wink:

Correct me if wrong but I think the two guys teaching IR through NACHI are using 120x120.
Not sure by what you mean about the space between being more important since the more pixels in a space would make the space between smaller and create a finer picture unless it is totally different from a web picture that often uses something like 60 x 60 or 90 x90 for avatars and logos.
The avatars here are 50x50

David, I appreciate and agree with your comment. That is why I said the Flir I3 is a POS. There are guys out there who are going to buy these cameras, have no training and then market themselves as IR thermographers. IMHO they have no idea of the potential liability they face using a crap camera without any training. With a little luck and Gods’ grace, after turning on the camera and seeing all that they do not know they might be smart enough to either walk away, realize their mistake or get he proper training.

I don’t understand your question Jeffery.

I think Dave is referring to spatial resolution.

What’s your problem?:roll:

Don’t be getting technical on us Linas!
I’m trying to keep it simple… :wink:

…but that doesn’t seem to work either :-0

Guys, it’s not the number of pixels in the box, it’s the size of the box.

Now we can discuss that at 320 x 240 looks better than a 180 x 180, but it’s not just because of the number of dots. Not only are there more dots, they are packed closer in a better camera.

Not that they couldn’t make a 320 x 240 that is very grainy. You know, some of those China cameras. Soon to be available at Harbor Freight…

Yes they are, but what is the screen resolution of a computer screen?

Change the screen res and see what happens to your avatar. That is the same as changing the spacial resolution of the camera (unless the computer adds pixels through software, which happens). I have a 23" computer monitor, but I can’t go full screen with a thermal scan and not loose clarity.

Post and show us one of your photos then.

OK ,I get the picture as that was a very graphic description.
Guess he better take that new Flir down to the dollar store and get a pair of readers for it.Personally I am not concerned with a super sharp image as I am going to avoid over doing the IR thing other than as a way to not miss water intrusion around toilet bowels and above windows ,ceilings ,etc.
Sensitivity may be more important and to many factors with temp differential not always being visible make it not 100% reliable enough for me to want to get Dependant.
I am not as concerned with the dog and pony show aspect of having a graphic in the report which sounds strange from a guy like me who averages over 200 every property.

Called this morning and canceled before item was shipped. Guess I’ll have to study up on this a little more. Thanks everyone.