Is FLIR infared imaging the future wave of Home Inspections?

Carl we have an empty room you can move in.

only if we can share the camera

This is not about replacing insurance. However, any claims against your insurance has the possibility of putting you out of business for not being able to obtain insurance if it’s required by your state. The insurance thing was just a passing thought to me. However it makes more sense than inspectors not wanting to use the device because it’s going to cause more liability! :slight_smile:

I do not believe that the home inspection market currently or in the very near future will support thermal imaging for widespread use. However, there are those that have enough money floating around to use it. Maybe working with associate home inspectors in your area could get someone in another field and out of your competition area! :slight_smile: I’ll do thermal imaging if you take care of my basic home inspection stuff!

One problem is the time restraints on real estate transactions and the scheduling of home inspections. Thermal imaging companies will also be doing home inspections to stay afloat in between jobs initially so they can’t really just drop what they’re doing and run over and take pictures at your inspection.

Anyway, this is something that may evolve down the road along with the standings of the home inspection industry.

$$$$$

They are willing to pay 6% RE Comission though! Why?

$125,000 x 6% = $7,5000
$300,000 x 6% = $18,000
$1,000,000 x 6% = $60,000

Anyone been paid this lately?

Anyone ever try setting fees by % ?

$125,000 x 1% = $1,250

Instead of doing three inspections a day, how about spending the day there?

It would seem that there should be a consumer market for this, but this does not appear to be the case. I can’t quite figure out why, but I suspect that it may be related either to limitations of the camera (I would guess that many HIs will emphatically state that it does not see through walls, etc, which makes it less impressive to clients), or it could be that they do not understand what they see and how it is important.

I will have to learn more about it…and try some sample marketing ideas on my focus group!!

We ain’t talking x-rays here. Of ocurse it can’t “See through walls”. To allow the client to believe that would be dishonest and unethical.

A market must develop. Remember marketing is not the sale thing as sales.

Gary with the cost of one these things you better live in Buckingham palacehttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/26/26_8_7.gif

http://www.smileycentral.com/sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb096&pp=ZSYYYYYYYYUS

Hi Everyone,
If you want to see the FLIR in action check out the show on Cable called T.A.P.S, its on the Sci-Fi channel (science fiction channel). Anyways, these paranormal investigators use it to track heat sources of strange occurrences, ghosts, etc. etc.

I have always been skeptical of the “psychic” shows… a lot of them seem like a bunch of crap but the TAPS guys, who are also LICENSED PLUMBERS when they are not investigating the paranormal. They only rely on scientific evidence using instruments we all use… IR thermometers, etc. etc.

Check out the show… it is worth watching. and You will see the FLIR in action. :smiley:

Will, of course I understand that, but it is hard to describe the potential usefulness of the item to a client while at the same time attempting to disclaim its limitations.

“It may find hidden leaks” or “it helps detect heat loss” are not strong marketing statements and I think this issue may be limiting the effectiveness of marketing.

And of course sales and marketing are separate. In this case, marketing appears to be the necessary (and missing) component that can produce interest, leads and result in sales (jobs closed).

The thing no one seems to have quite found success with yet is effectively marketing this technology to potential clients and transalting that into jobs.

That’s what I am working on, Jim. I am doing presentations (as the local NACHI Chapter Pres, not as a private inspector. Marketing, not sales.) to local Realtors, mortgauge companies and first time buyers seminars. Just getting the word out there.

I have also been volunteering my time to local members who thing they might have a need for the technology (we have had a number of heavy rains, recently) for them at their inspections. I charge nothing and provide the pictures and show them where the problems are and they incorporate it in their reports.

Hope there is long term pay off. For everyone.

Most Realtors are going to HATE this tool… It will be the DEAL KILLER TOOL! just watch…

Yes, but RE lawyers, mortgage companies and clients will love it.

Besides, most of the calls I get, specifically for thermal imaging, are from past customers who have flooded basements, leaky roofs and pipes or some sot of water intrusion. It is also turning out to be a big cross marketing tool for mold inspections.

Basement floods (not really flooding, but heavy seepage). Client calls me out to check the extent of intrusion (under carpet, behind walls, etc). Most times I find that the water is localized (only on one side or one part of the basement). Client is happy because they don’t have to rip out all the flooring and walls, only in one area. I am also getting to meet more and more flood remediation companies. They are starting to call me in (as a sub to them) when ever they are called to help them identify where the damage is. They just love the camera.

I have also gotten some calls from plumbers and GCs who have radiant water heating that has been pierced. I can localize the break and save them from having to dig up the whole slab.

Many uses.

Will, how would you compare your IR camera to this one?

http://www.palmerwahl.com/pdfs/Heat%20Spy%20Imager%20Catalog/Heat%20Spy%20Imager%20HSI3000.pdf

It seems like a similar product (and I’m sure the more expensive models may have more feaures) but for less than $5K, it looks like this may do the trick…

Looks pretty good, Jim. Same resolution as the low priced FLIR.

The FLIR stores up to 100 pictures for UBS download, while this one uses an SD card (have to check the number of pictures stored).

No real tile display of temp differential (that I can tell, but I might be just missing it).

The FLIR has 4 different display modes and I don’t know about this one.

The main thing I can say is WHERE THE HECK WERE THEY WHEN I FORKED OUT $2,500 MORE!

But that’s just me.

Please remember, get the training for this. Level I certification, a national standard. It only hurts when you don’t know what you are looking at or how to interpret it. That could lead to false positives and get you sued.

Hope thsi helps;

hi Will
I was wandering how much you charge for your thermal imaging inspections

Michael Rowan just bought 6 of them for his inspectors. His payment for 6 was only $800 total or $150/month each. I would think that properly marketed, you could earn an additional $150/month with one.

where did he buy them so cheap $800.00

Gary, I think Nick meant 6@ $150/month for a total of $900/month on a payment plan.

Ok. Does this one show water intrusion

He told me they were $6K a piece or about $150/month financed.

The Palmer Wahl can be leased with 1/3 down up front (about $1400) and then 36 payments for the remaining $2800 - probably works out to $150 per month… but the initial nut of $1400 is all up front.