Is this Masonite siding?

Last 2 pictures is what the back of that exterior wall looks like from inside the garage. In Picture number 4 I noticed the bottom portion of that wall appeared to be fiber cement siding which leads me to think the siding was previously damaged and replaced. Would like your thoughts, confirmation on the type of siding?

Yep, that is Masonite-like siding. Masonite is a brand name though. I refer to it as engineered wood.

4 Likes

I refer to it as Hardboard siding. :grinning:

10 Likes

I see it as hardboard siding, too, like Scott.

3 Likes

I refer to it as composite wood. Known to have a high failure rate and moisture problems which is evident in your photos.

2 Likes

Thanks guys. Im reading up on it now, hadn’t ran across it before. Apart from the obvious damage seen in attached pictures I noticed a lot of nail pops, rusted lintels, rotting trim specially around windows. Home was built 1989. Owner was an 87 year old man so I doubt any maintenance has been done in a while. Anything specific I should point out to my clients that they should beware of with this type of siding ?

Very popular material in that era.
Here are a few from the 1995 home today

2 Likes

Yes, as I stated, known to have a high failure rate and moisture problems as evident in your photos.
(you need to write hard on this type of siding, point out every moisture issue. Recommend replace ALL pieces with moisture issues or damage.)

It is a wonderful product when installed and painted correctly. The stuff made by LP anyway.

Hold up! LP composite siding (vs the newer engineered) was part of a gigantic lawsuit back when this home was built.

Between 1985 and 1995 800,000 homes were sided with a Louisiana-Pacific ( LP ) product called Inner Seal that sparked one of the largest class-action lawsuits in history after the siding began to fail. Over $500 Million has been paid out to customers regarding this suit.

1 Like

The early attempts at engineered wood siding generally failed because installers did not apply it correctly and homeowners did not maintain it correctly. LP was not alone in this fact. The new generation of engineered wood is terrific though. But still has to be installed and maintained, especially that initial coat of paint, correctly.

2 Likes

I agree with everything you just said!

Same here, hardboard. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

You’re just trying to impress someone! It looks pretty soft from here.

2 Likes

Not very impressive. When quoting her somethings are better left between you two. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

What is Masonite siding?

Masonite siding, also known as hardboard siding, is a budget-friendly siding choice that was popularized in the 1980s and early 1990s. It’s made of wood fibers that are held together with glue or resin through a heat and compression process. Its advantages made it a siding product people flocked to for its initial strength and low cost. Masonite siding is even more budget-friendly than vinyl siding, making it a popular choice to many.

Problems arose with Masonite siding after it was exposed to the elements during its lifetime on home exteriors. A lawsuit against the largest manufacturers of Masonite siding reimbursed consumers for damages caused by the product between 1980 and 1998. Following the lawsuit, manufacturers stopped making Masonite siding.

1 Like

they found that it expands and contracts too much, absorbs moisture and not very good in general.

2 Likes