Is this termination at the breaker against code?

I was on a new construction inspection today and the termination of the wire at the breaker seemed incorrect since part of it was clamped to the insulation. I haven’t been able to find any information about it and that may because I’m not sure of which words to even Google. Does anyone have a code reference and/or manufacturers info about it? Thanks

Hot wire was improperly terminated/installed at the circuit breaker.

I don’t know of which code or what MFG say’s about it, but I’m sure it’s there somewhere. I’d just call out the defect viewed and let your client take it from there.

3 Likes

I agree all of the insulation should be removed but in reality it likely won’t make any difference.

7 Likes

It’s actually also wrong because the conductor is supposed to be installed between the two pressure plates under the screw. Your picture looks like the conductor is under both pressure plates. Oh and I absolutely hate square d’s pressure plate connection, it just sucks.

3 Likes

The NEC reference I would use are both of the below items. It is expected the manufacturer installation instructions were not followed. If you have a link to them you can throw that in as well.

110.3 Examination, Identification, Installation, Use, and Listing (Product Certification) of Equipment.

(B) Installation and Use. Listed or labeled equipment shall be installed and used in accordance with any instructions included in the listing or labeling.

110.12 Mechanical Execution of Work. Electrical equipment shall be installed in a neat and workmanlike manner.

4 Likes

Thanks Emmanuel

I’ll throw my 2 cents in, my attorney once said to me “the road to hell is paved with good intentions”, so unless you’re a code enforcement officer, you should avoid quoting code. If you want to pick on it I’d say- it looks rushed and is a sloppy connection, insulation not properly skinned back which may lead to overheating, and it is on the wrong side of the screw, I’m done move onto the next item and let the powers that be argue over it… always CYA

4 Likes

I agree a home inspector should not be quoting code. For the record on those circuit breakers the conductors can be terminated on either side of the screw.

5 Likes

100% Agreed…!

Why should they not quote code on new build inspections?

1 Like

No offense to home inspectors but unless the HI also holds a license as a code inspector they should not be quoting code. It’s a slippery slope to perform a code inspection when you lack the credentials to do so.

7 Likes

I agree. And the biggest problem I perceive with quoting code is that you may be setting the expectation that you performed a “code inspection” on the entire home and all of its components.

7 Likes

Keep in mind, a home inspection is not a code compliance inspection and that the Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ) is the responsible party for determining/verifying code compliance.
The home inspector is using these standards, however, as a reference to help protect his or her client from possible future hazards, such as a house fire.

7 Likes

You are conflating quoting code in an inspection report with performing an official “Code Inspection”. As long as an Inspector’s client is made aware that the inspection is not an official “code inspection performed by a licensed code Inspector” (even in Texas they are licensed) then why would there be any issue?

See above. Under your logic then an Inspector who performs any inspection is “setting the expectation” that all issues will be found and reported on regardless of what any SOP or your disclaimers might state.

5 Likes

Yes, the expectation is (and should be) that all visible and verifiable issues will be found and reported on.

I must have read on this forum 1000 times that HI’s are not code inspectors and therefore should not be quoting code language in their reports. I’m assuming that there is a good reason why so many HI’s have stated that here. Let’s see what they say.

3 Likes

To clarify…I don’t quote codes in my standard home inspections. On new construction, most of the builders in my area (Atlanta, GA) will only repair code related items. Also, it seems to me that because the connection is partially resting on the insulation, that the actual contact area of the connection is now limited to a “point” instead of being distributed across the conductor which would lead to increased resistance and heat. I have know idea if it’s enough resistance / heat to cause other issues such as the connection eventually working it’s way loose.

6 Likes

In all fairness it doesn’t take any special talent, or credentials, to read a code out of a book.

Though I will say some are a little difficult to interpret. Especially the NEC, I even know some electricians that have issues with those. Nothing personal of course.

4 Likes

I see it as Manny, Marc and Chris do.

5 Likes

That was my first thought and main concern as well. Good eye in catching this. If I seen it, I’d put in the report as well.

2 Likes