Jobs other than home inspection?

I was contacted by a client looking for someone to give a third party opinion on the concrete driveway being installed at their home to make sure it is being completed correctly.
Do any of you see an issue with this type of inspection? To me it doesn’t seem too different from going back to a property being sold to verify the repairs were completed properly.

2 Likes

I don’t see a problem with it, I do it on occasions. Just did it 2 days ago.

1 Like

Do you have them sign your standard inspection agreement?

Someone else will have to answer that question. I just did a verbal agreement on the ones I did with the client on-site. But probably not a good idea?

I’m considering writing up a shorter agreement for stuff like this as if there is no agreement and you are providing professional advice your E&O may not cover you.

1 Like

There was nothing in writing, It was just a verbal meeting on site. But you are right, You should have an agreement in writing.

1 Like

This wouldn’t fall under the SOP, so you would have to use a different agreement.

1 Like

Unless you are well versed in concrete and pouring techniques for slabs and driveways, I would be cautious on giving a 3rd party opinion. Your’s will be considered the final say if the job was done correctly/incorrectly. But, as others have pointed out, do a separate agreement that you and they understand, any and all limits liability against you in that type of inspection.

3 Likes

I’m comfortable with how the job is done, I work/worked in commercial and residential construction and have taken part in the pouring of many a slab haha. But yes a different agreement will likely need to be written.

Just a specific agreement and sounds like your good to go… :wink:

1 Like

What are you going to do when it settles, cracks, or upheaves and they sue you because the contractor they call to repair it tells them “it was not installed correctly, ma’am, we have to rip it all out & redo it”?

1 Like

It’s called “waivers of liability” in the specific inspection agreement.

1 Like

Oh okay… so basically all I got to do is make them sign a piece of paper saying if I give you bad advice and your house falls apart, you cannot sue me. Gotcha! LOL you’re a funny guy!

Pretty sure I know what I’m talking about. I’ll show you my law degree if you show me your’s. I’ll wait…

1 Like

So a successful lawyer turns a home inspector… LOL Like I said, you should take up standup!

200w (1)

I concur. Having been expert witness and expert of fact you need to polish any type of ancillary inspection you perform that will likely end up in the courts.
I use the full SOP. I note in the report what the inspection is for.

As to the OP’s post; ‘Jobs other than home inspection?’ Answer: Every component system and structure you inspect.

1 Like

Is everyone a comedian today?

Nope. Never said I was a lawyer, but I’ve been involved in real estate, title research, sales, contracts, general contracting, property management for over 38 years now. And yes, it started when I was getting my law degree working for a RE law firm. Been around the block or 2 so keep thinking what you want…

2 Likes

You and @sbridges2 have something in common, knew it!