Knob and tube

Hey all, came across my first knob and tube on an inspection, hope the pic works, also the dirtiest and dustiest attic I’ve ever been in!

421SEC 013.jpg

Please share with us, how you reported it?

Yup, thats knob and tube alright! :slight_smile: Looks pretty good too.

Were the lines energised or abandoned?

If you were as old as that house you would be dirty and dusty too!!

David, I used the canned comment from reporthost:

"This property has some “knob and tube” wiring, which was commonly installed prior to 1950. It is ungrounded, and considered unsafe by today’s standards. Over time, the wire’s insulation may become brittle and fall apart or wear thin, resulting in exposed conductors and a risk of shock and/or fire. This wiring is also easily damaged by covering it with insulation (a common practice), and incorrectly tapping new wiring into it.

Some energized knob and tube wiring was found during the inspection. It is not within the scope of this inspection to determine what percentage of this properties wiring is of the knob and tube type, or to determine what percentage of the knob and tube wiring is energized vs. abandoned. A qualified electrician should evaluate this wiring and make repairs or replace wiring as necessary.

Note that some insurance companies may be unwilling to offer home owners insurance for properties with knob and tube wiring. Recommend that client consult with thier insurance carrier regarding this."

The lines did appear to be energized, they did actually look to be in pretty good condition considering,and I may not be that old, but I do tend to get pretty dirty and dusty!!!

I’m surprised that they don’t include something like:

Under no circumstances should this wire be covered with insulation.

i like the “canned answer” exept for the “unsafe” part. if the system is in good working order, and the electrician comes out and singns off on it, you may here from your client for calling it “unsafe”. we’re not qualified to make that call especialy if you recommended an elecrtician. and the “over time” part? you first stated that it’s from before 1950, how much more time does it need? not trying to burst your bubble, but i’d omit those 2 passages and stick with the possible causes to it’s demise, and if they stick with the way it should be, it will work fine. it needs lots of air around it to cool it, that’s what causes the insulation ( of the wires) to dry and crack. lots of homes up here still use it, and all the sparkies i know agree that it’s not the best, but if it’s working and in good shape, they’d recommend up grading, but it’s not totaly “unsafe”. just my $.02.

A couple of years ago I pulled out all of the k&t wiring from the 1926 home I owned, and I was amazed at how well the wire insulation had held up. There was virtually no cracking or decomposition of the insulation. It looked like it could have lasted another 80 years.

Reporthost says, "It is ungrounded, and considered unsafe by today’s standards. "

Unsafe because it’s ungrounded. Doesn’t seem wrong to me.

Look at the plugs on about 90% of the items we plug into wall receptacles in our homes. Most do not have a grounding plug on them. Just some food for thought. We go to a lot of trouble for putting down ungrounded elec systems meanwhile the majority of the appliances, lamps, stereo equipment, televisions, etc. do not have grounded plugs on them.

“Unsafe because it’s ungrounded. Doesn’t seem wrong to me.”

No equipment ground not ungrounded.

Mike P.

not totaly true. the neutral is a grounded conductor, is it not?

Report Host has a spelling error.

:DNo, I had a spelling error, for some reason I couldn’t copy and paste so I typed it verbetum, um , with a spelling error:roll:

that’s o.k. i often speek with spelling errors. it sounds funny, but all the words are spelled right in my head. if i misspell a word in my head, then i say it right.:roll: :mrgreen: :cool: