Lag screw question

GA referenced this prescriptive in the past in their code amendments. But not anymore. I still use the link as helpful information for my client to understand best practice.

1 Like

Well, I am sorry, Brian, but I worked with Architects and Engineers my whole career, and there is no way that deck was designed by either one. That was built by someone that did not have a clue on how to frame a deck.
Whether it is a single level or story and one half, it still needs to conform to this minimum standard of construction or somewheres’ close. What the OP posted I think would resemble or see in deck builds of maybe 40 years ago.

2 Likes

Thus the old contractors saying… “I’ve been building them that way for over 30 years”!!

Yeah, reading back my comment did not reflect my thoughts. Sorry about that.

What I meant to say was this, builders cannot use the AWC prescriptive on this type of deck. It would need to be engineered or designed by an architect. Therefore, my recommendation would not be a deck contractor, but rather a structural engineer.

1 Like

Obviously that saying applies for some. The key is knowing the difference between then and now.
I sure have seen both.

2 Likes

Don’t know when this was built but ledger strips haven’t been allowable since 2015 per IRC and IBC. Joist hangers required for joist-to-beam and joist-to-ledger connections.(IRC R507.7 and IBC 2308.8.2…but we’re not “code” inspectors. :slight_smile: )

1 Like