Leach Pond Information

I have never inspected a leach pond although I have done a few dye tests on standard septic systems with a leach feild. I have a home Inspection with a leach pond I have to inspect monday. I told the customer I will look into how to inspect the pond.

The following is my understanding of the system. There is a traditional septic tank (1000 gallon?) but from there the effluent flows to a chlorination tank (located next to a pond) and after chlorination, the effluent enters the pond.

How would you test this kind of system to see if it working correctly. I am assuming a dye test would tell me if there is a leak in the system and if the discharge makes it to the pond. Although I don’t know if all the cat-tail will turn red from the dye. Any Suggestions Ideas? please educate me.

bump

Ricky, you may want to reconsider inspecting this until such time when you have been educated sufficiently. A few bits of info on a message board aren’t enough.

What happens to the test if the house hasn’t been used in a while water-wise, for instance.

But, here is some info: http://inspect-ny.com/septic/septtext.htm

Larry thanks for the heads up…I know that site well…but I could find what I was looking for there…I explained to the customer I knew nothing about them…and if we couldn’t figure it out I wouldn’t do it.
From the vast knowledge base here I thought someone could help!

Leach Pond? or you talking about a lagoon?

I think they are one in the same. They job is done anyway! thank for the thoughts guys.

Youall sure talk funny in New York.