Legislative Action Committee

Originally Posted By: jmyers
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Posted: Tue, Mar 25th, 11:05 PM Post subject: Legislative Action Committee

Another note:

I just got finished speaking with Nick. Yes I know he is in Idaho, I have all his phone numbers and most of the time I can reach him day or night.

I have just updated him on this situation and the recent post by Lorraine. I suggested to Nick that we form a legislative action committee to oversee legislation in every state in our nation. Nick has given the go ahead to do so. It is clear we must let these legislators know the truth of what ASHI is really up to.

Nick has also informed me that NACHI will be filing an anti trust lawsuit against ASHI national. Clearly it is against the laws here in the US to monopolize industry and this is one of those cases which clearly violates those laws.

If you have any questions about this please feel free to email me.

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

Joe,

Tell Nick I want to be on that committee

Joe F

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi Joe, you know where I’m comming from, lets get going. icon_smile.gif

Gerry Beaumont

NACHI Education Committee

e-mail : education@nachi.org

NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Joe and Gerry,

Thank you and you can be certain I will let Nick know you are both willing to do what is right and good for everyone.

I urge other members to join us, this issue will not go away so running, hiding or just doing nothing will certainly bring about the demise of the home inspection industry as we know it. Members are needed everywhere so please join us before it is too late.

Joe...on a more personal note. Now do you believe me?

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: gbell

Joe you can count me in for the deep south.

Greg Bell

Bell Inspection Service

Greg,

Will do. And thank you for stepping forward before it is too late. Great to have you aboard.

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: dbush

Joe, I have got the midwest area from Missouri.

Dave Bush

MAB Member

"LIFE'S TOUGH, WEAR A HELMET"

Dave,

Thanks for the help.

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: matthew berman

icon_confused.gif Hey joe m. what do we have to do ,write letters or what .let me know. ------matt

Originally Posted By: Rusty Rothrock

Joe -

Count me in also for Virginia.

Maybe we can even take this a little further and get Chris to design a "topshelf" NACHI website geared strictly for the legislative/government/control bodies and personnel. This website could be a slight variation of the existing NACHI website including many things such as :
1. History of NACHI, years in operation, the original purpose and vision of starting NACHI, how many states do we have members in, etc.
2. A section that would talk about how NACHI differs from other inspection organizations.
3. NACHI's Standards of Practice, Code of Ethics, etc.
4. A section that deals with how one qualifies to become a NACHI member and the continuing education that is required.
5. A section that listed all the licensing states who have approved NACHI (with links to the various state's bills or appropriate language showing us approved).
6. Positive articles and any good PR related to NACHI success stories around the country (both legislative and all other forms).
7. And anything else that would be pertinent information to a government person looking at this website.

The "topshelf" NACHI legislative website could be one of our biggest selling tools in this journey that you have taken on (and we who have joined your effort). The new website would be relatively easy to promote and to get the proper government people to look at. The ultimate goal for this website would be that when one is finished reading and scanning the entire content, they would sit there in awe thinking ...

"This NACHI really has their stuff together, they're organized, they're professional, they have an honorable goal and vision, they adhere to a strict Code of Ethics and Standards of Practice, plus they're growing in leaps and bounds. I see no reason why we can't add this professional home inspection organization to our approved list."

Knowing and seeing the huge creative ability that Chris processes, there is no doubt in my mind that he couldn't create an awesome legislative website that I'm thinking of. One that would just knock their socks off.

Anyway, just my thoughts Joe. Sorry to go off. Again, count me in.

Best Regards,

Rusty Rothrock
Richmond, VA

Originally Posted By: Chris Morrell

Rusty,

You don't feel that we could simply add this content to the current NACHI.org system and create a navigation system within the current one when you're on those pages? That content would also be useful to our members, and some of it already exists. That would be the best way to keep the content unified in look and feel, and offer the most to our members as well as outside users.

--
Chris Morrell
Director of Information Technology
http://www.nachi.org/

![](upload://pKfEz57H3H9cdpmubh1S6zDbulj.html)

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Originally Posted By: Rusty Rothrock

Chris & Joe H. -

I agree with the two of you. Let's get started on it.

Have a fantastic day.

Rusty Rothrock
Richmond, VA

Rusty,

Thanks, you help is welcome here. Looks like we really have a lot of work ahead of us.

Everyone,
I do believe the first order of business should be to elect a leader. Nick has suggested that I head this but I have to disagree. I am not the politically correct type so the job is open. I feel it should be someone who is well spoken, good communicator and has a good feel for the legislative community.

Suggestions?

Next order of business should be to set a list of priorities. We will need everyone's ideas on this one.

Suggestions?

It has also been suggested by Lorraine that we start a seperate body to oversee all the legislative action in all the states soliciting members of all associations to join in this quest if they choose. Excellent idea in my opinion.

What do you think?

Joe Myers

Joe I agree we need to present a very organized and united front for this endeavor. We should have a leader and a board of directors. I would suggest that we divide the country into grids and have a director from each region. In this manner each director could handle any issues in their area. By setting up a committee with a leader and board of directors it will add a lot of legitimacy to the organization.

Rusty has some great ideas.

We have a great deal of work to be done in a short period of time.
1. A mission plan and how we intend on accomplishing it.
2. How to bring together all of the independent inspectors that feel as we do.
3. Unite all of the organizations that will join us in this endeavor.
4. Make NACHI as recognizable as ASHI.
5. Start to have press releases in every state where we are working to fight for the right to run or business.
6. Give our members a plan where they can have guidance to help with this project.
7. A campaign to reach all of the legislatures that have bills pending or in the works. I also think we should start lobbying any state that doesn't?t have bills pending. This way when they do have one they will already be familiar with NACHI.

Just a few thoughts, I?m sure there will be more to come.

--
Greg Bell
Bell Inspection Service

I would suggest that the first two steps be:

1. Determine who will oversee the committee, and who will handle the various states.

2. Determine the current laws and pending bills for each state. Compile a list and create a database that can be modified by the board members. This will not only serve as a reference for the committee, but also be useful to new members wondering what they have to do to become certified.

This would put the committee in a position to know what needs to be done, and help out other NACHI projects in doing so.

--
Chris Morrell

![](upload://pKfEz57H3H9cdpmubh1S6zDbulj.html)

Good ideas Chris

I love to see a man who is multitalented. LOL

--
Greg Bell
Bell Inspection Service

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi to all,

Here’s my 10 cents worth. As I posted a couple of days ago in the Nachi.org string, I feel that NACHI should set up a new major topic on the message board to act as a clearing house for information relating to proposed legislation in all states that either are attempting to enact law or are trying to modify law. I think Chris (correct me if I’m wrong) can set this up very quickly. then all we need to do is post a new topic for each state, so that all users can post state specific information, we need one user in each state to start the ball rolling by doing the base research to get the topic started, and that user (not necessarily a member) should also be a member of the legislative committee. That committee having a separate forum to discuss our joint on going actions. I also belive that for this to be successful that we also need to bring on board other regionally based organizations who are interested in legislation in their areas.

It strikes me that we have most of the assets in place within our existing frame work to get this project of the ground quickly, it may not be ideal and maybe somewhere down the road we may need to do a re-think but at least we have a start point. I don't know if the e-mail system that Chris has just put in place can also be duplicated quickly for the Legislative committee to be able to do mass e-mails both to Home inspectors who may have an interest in this topic but also those legislators who we wish to communicate with.

Personally I'm still thinking about this whole area and I'll post more later when the 3RD cup of coffee has hit the system. ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Chris,

If we started a seperate portion on this BB for legislation for private members (director, state directors, associates) and of course that which is open to the public, is it possible to give non nachi members access to the private section so we are not excluding non nachi members?

Meaning that we have a member only section for legislation and of course the public forum for all to see.

If you consider yourself the national leader type, please email me that you are interested in doing this. If you are the state leader type please email me so I know you are interested in doing this. If you just want to be involved stay tuned for further updates we are going to need all the help we can get.

Joe Myers

Here’s a thought:

For a coalition of HI organizations. One representative from each org forms the committee's leadership board, and then representatives from each state form the committee's "watchdog" board. The leadership board forms and controls the general goals of the coalition and the "watchdog" board keeps track of the current/pending laws of their assigned state and reports back to the leadership board with information and ideas for action. We might want to go so far as to separate the coalition from NACHI's site entirely, setting up a new board explicitly for the coalition with private sections for the leadership and watchdog members, and public sections for announcements, suggestions, and general chat. I'm sure Nick wouldn't mind NACHI hosting the site.

This would allow inspectors from all organizations to work to further the inspection industry as a whole. The coalition's goals would be to ensure that state inspection laws are fair (don't favor a particular association) and require appropriate levels of training, continuing education, experience, et cetera.

The same essential situation could be set up without separating it from NACHI, and there are some advantages (a major one being that we already have a dedicated audience of home inspectors that visit this board). It could go either way. What do you guys think?

--
Chris Morrell

![](upload://z6s9gGbUAlpSndjvbPhSxsZ25H9.html)