Light fixtures

Do you guys test ALL light fixtures when inspecting a house? Some? None?

Since an unresponsive light may be the result of a burned out bulb or a larger electrical issue, how do you advise customers that you don’t check EVERY light fixture?

And how do you approach missing bulbs?

I usually place in my report bulbs burned out or missing. I try to check every light fixture. Basically I place in my report.

One or more bulbs may need to be changed out or installed, if bulbs do not work after this I recommend consulting with a qualified electrical contractor for further evaluation and possible repair or replacement of fixture or wiring.

I let them know that we can’t check every fixture in my report. We try to check as many as we can.

I flip all switches on.
Example…
Kitchen ceiling light inoperative…Bulb?
I’m not going to start swapping bulbs around.

Of course I try every light fixture I can find.

Broken/missing bulbs are noted with a note similar to what Shawn posted.

I don’t go around swapping bulbs because the potential for bulbs to break off in the fixture. Sometimes, if the client is concerned, and I can reach, I will use my voltage detector to determine if a fixture no bulb is getting power.

I think what you are really asking is if it is a tall ceiling and your ticker does not reach a non responsive socket what do you use as a narrative.

non -functioning ]…works fine.

Thanks all. Yes, I’m trying to keep away from itemizing issues, especially when they may just need to replace the bulb.

“One or more bulbs may need to be changed out or installed, if bulbs do not work after this I recommend consulting with a qualified electrical contractor for further evaluation and possible repair or replacement of fixture or wiring.”

Thanks Shawn

Do you recommend they check the bulbs before or after they close?

As Home Inspectors we report defects, if something doesn’t function as intended at the time of inspection, I write it up as defective and recommend corrections be made by a qualified Contractor, in this case it would be a qualified Electrical Contractor, whether it be a bulb, the fixture, the wiring, a switch or a fuse.

Be careful using phrases like, “if it still doesn’t work after you’ve done that troubleshooting then call…” and “possible repair or replacement of any component” in your report unless you want to create confusion and get people POd at you.

We test every light. If it doesn’t work we note that in the report. I’ve never run into a light that couldn’t be tested.

Your state standards state, as listed in 61.30.803(g): Readily accessible installed lighting fistures, switches, and receptacles.

This means if there is a switch, you need to flip it. It it doesnt work not it as not working. You can mention the bulb may not be working, or repair as needed.