Listen to the ASHI President, People!

Already disappointed that the law, which has taken six years to enact, is not enough.

Even the used house salesman who says that legislation “is always the better thing” will still only approve licensed home inspectors who belong to ASHI, in Maryland.

And if you are an Illinois inspector, you just have to love how licensing created almost ten times the number of new home inspectors, according to this report.

Licensing solves nothing.

Of the supposed 3,000 new licensees, how many do you think became ASHI members? I’ll bet it was less then 1%. Not only does licensing not solve anything it nullifies the advantage that qualified association members posses over those inspectors who lack stringent standards because the consumer believes that all licensed inspectors are equal. ASHI will one day realize that all their meddling in state politics has only helped to legislate themselves out of existence.

It seems counter productive to me. Spend all your money on branding ASHI, get the state to impose licensees, people now think that all inspectors are now equal. everyone looses.:-k

Did anyone notice this interesting concept?

Let’s see how the State of Maryland has defined “a technical expert” for its citizens.

With the exception of paying money to the State of Maryland and the purchase of insurance, how many people reading this post qualify as a “technical expert”?

Would you not hate to be an inspector with 30 years experience in Maryland, today, forced to compete with all of these licensed technical experts performing their technical expertise for $175 (and less) per inspection?

My bet is that, in 2001 when it was still a new idea and a good way of “enhancing the profession”, many Marylanders pushed for this bill. Now, after seeing what has happened throughout the country, they are already hitting the streets and shouting to the consumer that — in spite of the state calling these licensed inspectors “technical experts” — the law is meaningless.

Licensing solves nothing.

I beg to differ. It fills seats in the 3-Day Home Inspector Academies and increases the amount of home inspector products purchased.:wink:

I am still trying to figure out how being licensed has helped me. Licensing solves nothing at this point.

I may feel different if every Realtor or Client ask me if I were licensed (this includes Radon Measurement). Happened once!

I may feel different if I knew unlicensed practicing inspectors were being held accountable by the people we feed the money to every year. See it on occasion!

I may feel different if I did not here from a Realtor that it does not matter if his inspector was licensed or not as long as he does a good job. Happened once!

Licensing solves nothing at this point!

Randy

Since licensing has occurred, companies hiring people just for the busy season does not exist anymore. Most of those people do not want to take the classes and/or pay for GL insurance. That alone makes me happy about licensing.:smiley:

Also, there were some companies (that are still in business) that never took continuing education classes. Since it is now required, it is likely they will learn more (who wants to sit in a class about basic construction year after year).

Here in Indiana, I think they did a good job with the licensing. Just wish they had an apprenticeship.