Lookin' for some help in NY

Originally Posted By: pdacey
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I received a call from my sister yesterday who lives in Balston Spa, NY (near Saratoga). A friend of hers recently purchased a house. (Now bear with me, the details are limited and second hand)

The friend had an inspection prior to closing but did not have a WDI inspecting. Something about the seller disclosed that there had been prior treatment and that was sufficient information for closing. Now the friend has begun some renovations to the house and they have found extensive termite damage inside most (if not all) of the walls.

What type of legislation is in place in NY regarding WDI inspection and disclosure of prior treatment?

Also, if there are any members in that area I can put her in touch with for some advice, that would be great.

--
Slainte!

Patrick Dacey
swi@satx.rr.com
TREC # 6636
www.southwestinspections.com

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

Call me.

Joe Farsetta

Illigitimi Non Carborundum
"Dont let the bastards grind you down..."

Originally Posted By: Don

Looking at moving into the Montvale area of NY from the big city for family reasons and want to start a home insppection companyh. Are there any laws that i need to know about right now?

Montvale is in NJ. NJ has suspended HI licensing for the next 12 months or so. I suggest you research the requirements. NY HI law is waiting the Governrs signature. Again, there are specific requirements. You can review NYs law ny visiting the NY State Assembly site and searching for bill #0076

Joe Farsetta

Originally Posted By: Scotty Lee

jfarsetta wrote:
Montvale is in NJ. NJ has suspended HI licensing for the next 12 months or so. I suggest you research the requirements. NY HI law is waiting the Governrs signature. Again, there are specific requirements. You can review NYs law ny visiting the NY State Assembly site and searching for bill #0076

From what I have seen the Governor has already signed the bill into law about 4 weeks ago.

You might want to check into this.

No. As far as the I can tell, it is sitting on his desk. The law was passed by both houses, and sent to the Governor on September 7th.

Joe Farsetta

Originally Posted By: Don

Sorry bout that I know Montvale is in new jersey but we will be movin to the Chestnut Ridge or Nanuet area. I found out ny is easier on inspectors and I wood have a hard time in jersey. I am almost complet with a HI course at a college and I have been doing ride alongs bout 8 months now. I was going to join ASHI like my mentor wanted or even NAHI but thet are harder to join and you have to pay for the tests. NACHI seems to make it easier to become an inspector. My girls family is big in real estate and bout 6 of them are agents to help me get started in NY. I will probobly join NACHI when i am reddy.

Originally Posted By: rpaul

The Goveenor has signed the NYS Licensing bill September 21, 2004 and will be enofrced September 22, 2005.

Don,

You need to get a copy of the law and read through this. This law will definately effect you. So it would be wise to keep on top of this.

Rick

Originally Posted By: egrugett

The NY State Law goes becomes affective 12/31/05. There are chapter amendements that were added by Gov. Pataki when signing the bill (part of the legislative process), tweeking the bill, that all of you NY State Home Inspectors need to have input on. One important one is that the number of Home Inspectors on the Advisory Board was reduced from four to three. Any serious professional Home Inspector in NY State should join NYSAHI (New York State Association of Home Inspectors) for $75.00 per year. All major Home Inspection groups in NY State have joined NYSAHI, except NACHI. Why is that? It is a bi-partisan group. Unaffiliated Home Inspectors can join as well. Remeber the old proverb, divide and conquor. Go to www.nysahi.org for info.

Evan Grugett
Evan Grugett Inspections
Eastchester, NY

Originally Posted By: John Bowman

Evan,

I can't get your url to nyahi to work.

Evan,

This is crap! There is nothing in the law saying we have to join NYASHI for any money! If you think that ASHI has pull on this I think it is time to challenge this! This is why Ashi has such pull because everyone bows to them. I am against anything that says you have to join. There is nothing in the law that states that. This will fire me up and should fire anyone who is involve in the Home Inspection Business in NYS! ASHI does not offer us as inspectors nothing unless we pay for it.
I am not in to bashing ASHI but don't tellme I have or even hint I should join ASHI! People should start standing up for thier rights and stop this crap that these PRO ASHI people are feedign us.

Rick

Evan,

The truth is that NYSAHI astually has fewer numbers than anyone would have guessed. NACHI's membership in NY is larger than ASHIs at last count. But, beyond this, is the fact that NYSAHI's sponsored legislative package was stopped dead in its tracks.

The current legislation, which was signed into law, does not resemble what NYSAHI supported. In fact, it is the resurrected version of legislation which NYSAHI opposed.

In addition to that, NYSAHI's lobbying on the local level was, in my opinon, not on the up-and-up. I met with two assembly members who co-sponsored the NYSAHI supported legislation. They were lead to believe that NYSAHI represented ALL home inspectors in NY State, which they clearly do not. And, once sections of the proposed bill were evxplained to these assembly members, they stated that if they really understood te measure, they would have never supported it.

Even at the Judiciary Committee level, there was no love for the bill which NYSAHI so strongly supported. The bill was flawed, and stunk of protectionism.

There are forces at work, as we speak, which will help ensure that HIs dont get hosed in the process. No mention od any HI association, whether nationally based, or local is mentioned in the legislation. The Secretary of State is all too familiar with the goings on in PA and in NJ to allow things to slip. I would agree that we, as a national and state organization, should welcome collaboration with any group who genuinely wants to help inspectors and consumers. Protectionsm should be the last thing on their minds. I beleve that reducng the number of HIs on the advisory board to three, rather tan the majority, is the Governor's signal to all interested parties that the shenanigans will be stopped before they start.

I, for one, do not care for some of the attitudes or NYSAHIs current leadership.

--
Joe Farsetta

Originally Posted By: dharris

Quote:
I am not in to bashing ASHI but don't tellme I have or even hint I should join ASHI! People should start standing up for thier rights and stop this crap that these PRO ASHI people are feedign us.

I take that betting Ricks name will not be on the ashi membership list real soon would be a safe bet ![icon_sad.gif](upload://nMBtKsE7kuDHGvTX96IWpBt1rTb.gif) ![icon_sad.gif](upload://nMBtKsE7kuDHGvTX96IWpBt1rTb.gif)

I personally do not oppose ASHI. I dont even oppose building a brand.

I oppose the brainwashing of anyone who may possibly choose to referr another, non-ASHI inspector.

I also oppose the notion that the sun rises and sets on ASHI, and that they profess to know what is best for all states, and te Home Inspection industry.

At the local level, I oppose te condescending nature of certain ASHI inspectors, who look down their noses at anyone else, and LIE about what influence they weild. They tried it on the County level, and again at the State level.

I'm sure that there are plenty of great ASHI guys out there. I wish we'd stop all this crap, and realize that we have more in commn than not.

And, being a member of ANY association, regardless of the "qualifications" of membership is a load of crap.

I went to a home nspected by a SR ASHI member in my area. The fellow also happens to be a PE. There was mold on the walls in a section of the basement. He offered no opinions as to possible causes. He wanted to charge a fee for opening the walls. The mold was seen along a block wall. What was he going to open? He failed to mention anythng about moisture intrusion. He never referred these folks to the EPA site. He never evplained that downspouts needed to be extended, that there was a slight negative pitch to the ground at the wall which had the problem, and that past water intrusion evidence was clearly wisible.

He also advised them to NOT perfom a Radon test, as te house was vacant, and it was best performed when the house was occupied.

After spending a half hour with this couple and their child, they said tey were tempted to ask for their money back, and that I gave them more information in 30 minuted than in the 2-hours their inspector spent in the house.

So much for "qualifcations"

Its time to fnd REAL common ground. Screw the assocation names. Screw the attitudes.

Its our livlihoods at stake here...

--
Joe Farsetta

Originally Posted By: Dan Spy

NYSAHI or is it ASHI

i AM GETTING CONFUSED HERE icon_question.gif

One is talking AHI

another is talking ASHI

Here is my bootom line feelings. I agree with Joe, 110%, we all need to drop this association thing. One thing I can say, I really do not care about what association you are with. I just do not want anyone to step on my constitutional right as to be a free agent and telling me I have to join this or that to be able to perform a Business as an independant in America! I will communicate and share with anyone and associate with anyone that is fair and not trying to ruin the reputation of the Home Inspection Business. That is the bottom line that we all need to protect!

The bigest thing, I was trying to explain is we as Home Inspectors need to be aware of the New Legislation and help to get it so it is a workable Legislation for all Home Inspectors involved. New and Old. Let all the political stuff stay with the Democrats and Republicans!

Like the old cliche' goes. "If you are good at what you do, you will not have to worry about the competition."
As someone has mentioned as people get older and want to retire we need to have a way to step back and out. Passing a Business on. This New Legislation allows anyone who has been in business to keep going and anyone already started in the past few years to continue, then anyone new coming into it can succeed. This is a good Legislation!

All that has to happen is whomever has the chance to be on the Board --I nominate Joe F. as one the ones to start. All need to be fair! This is what is going to start the foundation of the Legislation. I hope joe will except my nomination! Go For JOE!

Rick

Originally Posted By: egrugett

I’m glad to see such a quick and heartfelt response on a very important topic. But it appears that some of you foam at the mouth at the mere mention of ASHI. Understand, NYSAHI is not an ASHI pawn. It’s open for all NY State Home Inspectors, regardless of other associations. It is a unified voice. Old guard and “newbees” alike. The opposition (read in certain realtors and polititions, franchise operators, training schools) are seemingly doing a good job on blinding some of you guys to the realities. The bill isn’t an ASHI, NAHI, MAHI, AHIA, NABIE, or NACHI bill. There are flaws in it, but life isn’t perfect, especially in politics. This isn’t a contest, and it’s only the beginning of a constant monitoring process that we Home Inspectors need to continue. Albany needs to be watched like a hawk from hereon. The DOS implementation process must have input from all segments of NY Home Inspectors. So it is fair to the consumer, not just to self-serving big money interests.

Evan Grugett
Evan Grugett Inspections
Eastchester, NY

Evan,

I am not sure where you are going with this. You have not presented any facts. What are the Flaws? All you are doing is pushing for NYAHI, guess what? Besides monitoring NYS someone needs to monitor these organizations that are pushing so hard for a legislation. As I have said in the past, I am not against Licensing. I have seen most of the Legislations and this one is the fairest one I have seen. The only thing that we need to watch for is any time it becomes one sided, making us join a certain organization.
I have checked out all the organizations before joining Nachi. I asked one question to all of them. "If I pay x-amount of $$$$$$$$$, what is in it for me? Nachi is the only organization that has offered us as Home Inspectors something in return. What does NYAHI offer you? Watchdogs for NYS? So does Nachi! What about continual education or any education?
You called Nachi a bi-partison party. What are you or NYAHI doing to further people education in the field of Home Inspections. You are a member of Nachi so why are you sticking them? You should be an encouragement to others.
Are you with a few hours of Elmira, join us at the Electrical Seminar. See what Nachi is all about? You can even be a positive item to others if you want to be if you have something to offer.
Here is the thing about this attitude situation about all organizations not matter what it is. If an organization has something to offer it is good. If the organization is after the almighty $$$$$$$$$$$, then it should go!
That is just my 2 cents.

Rick