Manufactured Housing

I received a call about a “Tie Down” inspection on a manufactured home. I have never dealt with Manufactured homes and I was wondering if any body has any idea what a “Tie Down” inspection is?
I read some threads in the archives, most Inspectors stay away from them, but I am always up for a good challenge and some education.
Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You!

If this inspection is for mortgage purposes a Licensed Engineer is required to do the inspection. If not you can get information from HUDs “Permanent Foundations Guide for Manufactured Housing” (Sept 1996) from their website. This publication has all of the requirements.

Paul Pendley
Premier Property Inspections

Hi to all,

If the lender or insurer is asking for a tiedown report here in FL it will have to be done by a licensed engineer, or in some cases a report from a licensed manufactured home installer may be enough.

Regards

Gerry

Sorry just noticed I had repeated what Paul said

I’m not completely sure what a tie down inspection is but last year I did a manufactured home inspection that had tie downs, Steel cables that are embedded into concrete piles in the ground. There are a number of reasons for this, Keep the thing from flying away in high winds or as explained to me that it is connected to the legal definition of real eatate. To be classed as real estate it has to be fastened to the ground. Hence the steel cables. Because it’s tied down to the ground the banks will do a mortgage.

If someone knows the real reason I would like to hear it.

Thank you all for your input.

Hi Vern,

A tie down inspection is just an inspection of the ties and there attatchments only, usualy required by insurance companies and banks.

The tiedown system (and a variation of it in sciesmic areas) is designed to resist the home being either blown of or shaken of its peirs.

These inspections check the tie down system for:

• That they are installed
  • That the straps are tight
  • That they are not damaged or rusted
  • That they are properly connected to the homes frame
  • That they are properly connected to the foundation or ground anchors
  • That the anchors or footings area undamaged
  • The condition of the piers
    The “Real property” issue varries down here from state to state, in most states just the presence of tie downs would not by itself be enough to get a home a deeded title.

The most usual criteria for a deed is

• Must be on deeded land (not a leased park)
  • Must have its tongue and axels removed
  • Must be on a perminent foundation
  • Normally must have a block perimiter wall or similar under the unit
    In most areas the home and its installation are covered by the state DMV or in some cases the state fire marchals office, and the unit is titled just like a vehicle is (personal property).

I have no idea how Canada handles this issue or what criteria is used to allow deeding of a manufactured home.

Here is the link to the BC regulations:

http://www.qp.gov.bc.ca/statreg/reg/M/ManufacturedHome/441_2003.htm

Regards

Gerry