market saturation

Originally Posted By: cmacgillivray
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I’m going to start inspecting homes in the state of Illinois and I was wandering if anybody thought that the home inspection market was starting to become saturated. Lawyers and real estate agents are a dime a dozen and I’m hoping this is not the case with home inspectors. I’m a engineer that is finding a passion with home inspection but I would hate to change fields if I’m going to find that my phone will not ring. Just a question I thought I would through out there and see if anybody had some insight on the subject. Thanx for the time

Christopher Angus MacGillivray

Originally Posted By: rhinck

Chris,

I passed my license test in March. I have done approx. 75-80 inspections to date. I set a goal of 100 in my first year- so I'm quite pleased. I do build homes as well- so waiting for the phone to ring doesn't come into play quite as much as if this was my only source of income. I hope to build this business up to that though! I'm in the Peoria area and there doesn't seem to be a glut of inspection companies yet. It is truly a "people business". You need excellent "people skills" to get your piece of the market. Hope this helps.

Rick

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt

The best advice, and I wish it had been available when I started is:

Read every message thread on the NACHI Message Board.

Read very message thread on the Inspectionnews.com Message Board.

On each board with the General, Misc, Advertising, Insurance, Legal, State Legislation type forums.

If you still want to do it after reading all that, then dig into the meat of Electric, Plumbing, Structural, HVAC, Roofing, etc. and read all those messages.

The advice and guidance and hints and tips, etc in those threads is invaluable and will most likely never be adequately repeated.

Good Luck.

Don't forget to get your Illinois Home Inspector Licenses before you start inspecting.

Your phone is only going to ring if you work hard to get your name out there.

It's nowhere near as easy as all the HI Schools make it sound.

I wouldn't be surprised that more than 60% of starters drop out in the first two years. Usually from a lack of effort on marketing.

--
Erby Crofutt
B4U Close Home Inspections
Georgetown, Kentucky

www.b4uclose.com

Originally Posted By: ekartal

Chris,

Like Erby said there is high turnover. Probably the expectations of easy money.

Erol Kartal
ProInspect

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

Chris:

I second everything Erby advises (except his second line about reading propaganda).

Anyway, you're right about some markets being saturated. There are too many REALTORs, too many lawyers, too many pizza shops, etc. Especially in my area, all markets look saturated. But the best in any industry don't worry about their competitors too much. I have a partner who is a REALTOR, one who is an attorney, and one who owns a pizza shop. All 3 are by most people's standards... rich. Disregard negative comments (something I have trouble doing). I remember not too long ago when the owner of inspectionnazinews.com said that NACHI would never amount to much more than a handful of inspectors and that our website would never draw much traffic.... That was 50 states, 8 foreign countries, and over 20 million hits ago.

The cream always rises to the top.

To rise to the top in the home inspection business you need to do a lot. But if I had to break it down it would go something like this:

Keep learning...so that you can do the best inspections for your clients..
Write strong clear reports...others will see them.
Be personable and have good bed-side manner...it's a people business.
Market aggressively...you know what happens if you don't?...nothing.
Keep your prices high...it supports your contention that you are the best.
Believe you will succeed...a prayer now and then helps too.
Enjoy doing good work... and let it show.

If you think I can help in any way, let me know.

Nick