Masonry stone veneer (dry stack) in a shower

I’ve never come across msv in a shower enclosure before. I advised the buyer of the good chance of mildew or mold growth since it would be tough to clean and dry with all the openings and flat edges. Also possible moisture damage, depending how it was installed and what’s behind it.

My reference for the msv: http://ncma-br.org/pdfs/masterlibrary/MVMA%20Installation%20Guide%204th%20Edition%20web.pdf

• link courtesy of badair

hey John
what was the substrate visible at the untreated edge?
hope you wrote this hard & also caught pg 10
**“Interior applications in non-wet locations (areas not exposed to water)” **
mfr may not warraty
any questions contact the mfr

be sure to provide my info to your client when the poohits the fan ;~))

hey John
what was the substrate visible at the untreated edge?
hope you wrote this hard & also caught pg 10
**“Interior applications in non-wet locations (areas not exposed to water)” **
mfr may not warraty
any questions contact the mfr

be sure to provide my info to your client when the poohits the fan ;~))
i’ve done 5 MSV-ACMV specialties this month

I don’t know if I would have a problem with it. The typical tile used in a shower is not waterproof. The grout is porous, letting water pass to the waterproofing. The drain has weep holes in it to direct the water that penetrated the grout to the drain. Before you set the mortar bed the inspector insures that these weep holes are functioning. I would think that the substrate for the shower would be treated as an exterior wall for application of the stone. The pdf didn’t really address interior “wet” surfaces.

http://www.glensfallstile.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Shower-Pan-Liner-1024x585.jpg

Frank,

Where can I get pics / illustrations, like the 1 you provided above? Super Cool.

I Googled it. You can right-click and save this image.

The fact that you can’t clean it would drive my wife crazy :smiley:

We must have married sisters.

My wife would be trying to drag my pressure washer in there! :mrgreen:

No lie, we moved into an old rental house that my mother in law owns. My wife has scrubbed and scoured the laminate countertops so much, that they have large, bare white spots, where they used to be “multi-colored”, and had like a blue vein running through them. She’s darn near scrubbed the laminate down to the particle board substrate now!

Same with the linoleum floor in there. It’s a great site to come home from an inspection and find her on her hands and knees scrubbing that floor with a brush.

I once called her Cinderella. She took off her shoe and threw it at me, then told me how lucky I am that it wasn’t her glass slipper!! :|.)

Oh yeah. Sisters from a different Mother. :smiley:

Yes will do, I got to show him at the house and he agreed it wasn’t right. You can’t see the interior corner, but there were gaps 1/4" and wider there. Couldn’t identify the substrate exactly, but there was no metal lathe visible.

Frank: pg 12 under Cautions-

‘Do not subject AMSV to direct or frequent water contact.
For example, avoid allowing sprinklers to directly spray
onto the surface’.

Ah yes.

If she is rubbing hard enough to find a blue vein, be nice to her… :wink:

Thanks Frank.

manufactured stone veneer (MSV) or adhered concrete masonry veneer (ACMV) are not meant for frequent or daily wetting application

any questions or problems concerning manufactured stone veneer (MSV) or adhered concrete masonry veneer (ACMV) requiring an experts inspection or in need of installation supervision (phase inspections) contact ADAIR INSPECTION

Well, then somebody really screwed up.

Are you certain that it’s manufactured, and not real stone veneer? The edge looks like cut stone.

Two or three cans of spray grout sealer should take care of any future mold issues. Heck, I use the stuff on my veneer outside. Just sand the rust spot on the veneer, spray, and watch the rain bounce off.