Me thinks that...

Originally Posted By: rdawes
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Panel Pic ]

Originally Posted By: Jay Moge

why? icon_redface.gif

Originally Posted By: mboyett

I disagree but let’s see if you get some advice from the experts.

Mike Boyett

Capital City Inspections

Austin, Tx

www.capcityinspections.com

Originally Posted By: cbuell

As long as this is the Main panel it shouldn’t matter. If its a sub-panel there would be lots of issues

Originally Posted By: lkage

It appears there is a bonding strap connecting the grounded and grounding conductors to the panel running behind the main breaker. So, it appears to be okay if it’s not a sub panel.

“I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn’t learn something from him.”

Galileo Galilei

Originally Posted By: rcooke

rdawes wrote:
the wires to the neutral and equipment grounding busses should be switched. Agree?

[ Image: Panel Pic ]

In Canada the Neutral and the Ground even thought they are common are kept separate.
The only place they have contact is in the primary panel and then they still have their own buss.
They only have one ground conection .
All down stream panels shall go back to the primary ground.

--
Roy Cooke Sr.

http://Royshomeinspection.com

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

I agree that if it’s the main panel, then it wouldn’t matter…of course the big question would be after all the time spent making things so pretty, why did they do it that way in the first place?

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: jpope

No need to switch. . .

Jeff Pope

JPI Home Inspection Service

“At JPI, we’ll help you look better”

(661) 212-0738

All the neutral current will run thru the small bonding screw that connects the bonding strap to the neutral bus. Granted that the neutral current is only the difference between the currents flowing in the 2 phases but it could still be considerable depending on the load distribution. The bonding strap and screw is not designed to be used as a normal current carrying conductor but only if the event that the equipment grounding conductor is needed due to a defect in a device or line.

Originally Posted By: Greg Fretwell

You would probably never notice it but the full unbalanced current of the panel is flowing through that jumper unnecessarily.

I might not try to force the sparky to fix it by twisting some code language up but I bet I could embarass him into it.

Originally Posted By: jlybolt

its o.k icon_razz.gif

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

Thread drift…

Ronald, were you ever in the movies? Your picture looks like the guy from Foul Play with Goldie Hawn and Chevy Chase…the bad guy…

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: jtedesco

Quote:
408.40 Grounding of Panelboards

Panelboard cabinets and panelboard frames, if of metal, shall be in physical contact with each other and shall be grounded. Where the panelboard is used with nonmetallic raceway or cable or where separate grounding conductors are provided, a terminal bar for the grounding conductors shall be secured inside the cabinet. The terminal bar shall be bonded to the cabinet and panelboard frame, if of metal; otherwise it shall be connected to the grounding conductor that is run with the conductors feeding the panelboard.

--
Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

www.nachi.org/tedescobook.htm

Originally Posted By: Greg Fretwell

In this case the main bonding jumper also becomes the neutral but it is still “hold your nose” legal.

250.24(B)(1) Routing and Sizing. This conductor shall be routed with the phase conductors and shall not be smaller than the required grounding electrode conductor

I would ask why he bothered to run a full sized neutral from the service point, then shoved it in a #4 in the last foot.

This works if you have time to explain it to him.

250.6 Objectionable Current over Grounding Conductors.
(A) Arrangement to Prevent Objectionable Current. The grounding of electrical systems, circuit conductors, surge arresters, and conductive non?current-carrying materials and equipment shall be installed and arranged in a manner that will prevent objectionable current over the grounding conductors or grounding paths.

Joe,

I understand your code quote but you didn't comment whether or not you would ask that it be "fixed".

All,

Thanks for your input. This is a one year warranty inspection, so I'll tell the owner to ask that the electrician "fix" it. If they refuse, so be it.

And no, I've never been in the movies. If I was, would I be inspecting homes? ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

Cheers,
Ron

Originally Posted By: jtedesco

I agree with you and the reference supports this interpretation. If that work was inspected then the inspector should be made aware of your concerns.

Fix it....

--
Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

www.nachi.org/tedescobook.htm

Thanks gang!

Originally Posted By: pdickerson

Wow. Great thread! I learn something new everytime I am on this board.

Originally Posted By: Jay Moge

thats the idea. realy wanna learn? start going page by page in each catigory, WOW pretty cool man eusa_dance.gif