metal form lintel question - new construction

Originally Posted By: srowe
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I have not seen this yet but appears incorrect and I cannot find anything on net. Metal lintel forms have been installed and blocked before concrete was poured, as you can see, the masons placed a 2x10 to hold it up.

My question is, were they supposed to pour the lintel before blocking above it?![](upload://5oWLq9t4hyQXaTSVF5yBX2ZKyT2.jpeg)

Originally Posted By: jpope

You would need to look at the specs to see exactly what that is. Typically, they will have “Nelson Studs” (or possibly rebar) welded in place. These are what hold the lintel to the concrete.

The final lift will generally be poured (grouted) with the lintel beam in place.

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

I don’t think he was referring to the top course lintel beam. I think he is referring to the door opening lintel that supports the block above. Am I correct about this?

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: jpope

He called them “forms” so I assumed he meant the steel headers (at least that is what they look like from the pic).

In any event, I don't think they are actually forms, they look permanent.

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: rjames

from the pic the bearing appears to be inconsistant, I would check the specs it should be spelled out there, or even the prints, S-1 in the general notes also look at the stacked bond in the center section that is not right.

Did I understad you that these lintles were cast on site and were not Pre cast? that stuck me as odd.

Rick

Sorry I did not clarify…

I am speaking of the garage doors (& windows).

These are NOT pre-cast garage door lintels, these are forms and the #5 rebar is in place but there is no mortar in place. SO the hollow steel forms are currently supporting the weight of the cmu's above them.

(Yes, the garage doors are two different heights, there was some communication error with the builder)

I just strikes me as being incorrect with the possibility of these steel forms buckling or collapsing from the additional weight when they get ready to fill. The forms seemed pretty strong on the ground...I just am not sure HOW STRONG.

![](upload://r4mDGjdCRK4lwx4moQlrkTQcHgg.jpeg)

Originally Posted By: mboehmer

Shawn;

The concrete/grout fill (per plans/specs) should be placed without disturbing reinforcing prior to placement of any CMU above.

The lintels constructed in place should be allowed to reach strength before removing temporary supports or placing units above.

Mike

OK… now… nayone have any recommendations on what to do with this?

If this was your home would you make them take off the top cmu's and do it right or make sure that it was all properly supported when they pour(4x4, or 4x6's) until the lintels are cured?