Missing moisture barrier in attic

need some verbiage/narration for missing moisture barrier in attic.
Thanks.

What’s wrong with the title of this thread… Short, sweet, to the point. Why complicate matters?

4 Likes

Yet another reason some folks wont come here too often. Not sure why one would not move past a topic they have no direct contribution to. I get a beep to say someone replied only to see some banter. phew!

I don’t really see his comment as banter. He’s saying there is value in concise and accurate language. Similar to how you titled the thread.

3 Likes

What is the condition in the attic, roof decking, rafters, insulation? Is it damp, wet, dry? That should tell you if the missing vapor barrier is a concern. :grinning:

Maybe not. I think he is saying my topic should have been “need verbiage” and that I complicated it with what i have there. anyways the comment is irrelevant in the scheme of things. Easier to scroll past if response is not addressing the poster’s question.

As mentioned my concern is the absence of vapour barrier and I believe i should at least mention it. except you think otherwise.

Vapor barrier in the attic is not always required and may cause more issues than good. I would start by first learning when it is required. If you call out a missingi barrier, you need to know how to defend your claim that it’s needed. You did not ask if it’s required… you asked for a narrative. Your question was answered in the first reply 2 hours ago.

1 Like

Never mind that was a rude comment. Just trying to help you.

1 Like

Thanks Simon

“Plastic vapor barriers should only be installed in vented attics in climates with more than 8,000 heating degree days. You can forego the plastic and use a vapor retarder (kraft-faced insulation or latex ceiling paint) in all other climates except hot-humid or hot-dry climates. In hot-humid climates, attics should not be vented and vapor retarders should not be installed on the interior of assemblies.” Joe Lstiburek

Really? He told you that you already have the “verbiage/narration” in your thread title and you’re offended?

Good Lord, you’re life must be Hell!

5 Likes

Thanks Robert.

Well i did not understand it that way. It usually helps to be simple with answers. He could have said: your subject is a good verbiage already. When writing as home inspectors it is helpful to write clearly.

Obviously that was targeted at me, so to spare you any undue ‘butthurt’, I have placed you on “Ignore”.
Upside… I won’t have to look (or laugh) at your posts any longer!!
Good luck with your career!

2 Likes

So @jjonas jjonas. I interpreted your answer differently. @spayson has paraphrased in a way that i understand. I am sorry if you are offended. However i find some sacarsm here sometimes that i cannot make real meanings from comments. i would wish responses are clearer many times. you initial comment confused me alot until @spayson explained.

" A vapor retarder was not presently used in the attic".

THEN if theres a problem I report it OR above is my whole statement

2 Likes

Are you referring that the insulation is installed with the vapor barrier is installed with the paper side up and not down facing the heated portion of the house. Just state the issue and leave it that.

No vapour barrier at all. Just blown FG on dry wall ceiling

Did someone not study while attending Internachi school for home inspectors! I believe your answer is in the study guides.