Missing ridge beam and or ridge board

This newer carport roof rafters had no ridge beam or ridge board installed. Would this be acceptable, is there any reason for concern ??, DSCN9286 DSCN9287 DSCN9288 DSCN9285

Not needed. No concern.

2 Likes

It is lacking structure, collar ties, ceiling joists, rafter tie-downs, and who knows what else, poorly constructed.

2 Likes

When are collar ties required?

The picture shows ceiling joists.

Even in older structures?

Low quality construction. Collar ties are only required when specified by the architect or engineer.

The same with hurricane clips tying rafters to top plates unless it was constructed during a time in which they were required by code.

Most structures built since the early 1960s are built with ridge boards and although they’re not structurally necessary as long as rafters oppose each other omitting them is a really cheap step. They do help tie the two slopes together at the peak; especially important with the lack of collar ties. I hope this isn’t in a high wind zone.
Looks to me like it may have been built without a permit. I’ve only seen construction like that in older structures, like pre-60s.

1 Like

Looks like a ridge vent was installed without the roof sheathing being cut to accommodate air flow. During the right kind of weather event, that carport could turn into a parachute since wind can enter the roof structure.

2 Likes

What Stephen said and it has ceiling joists/rafter ties every 4 feet as required.

However there are no rafter to wall brackets…if it is newer, I would suspect to see them…as Scott said.

I do not see collar ties in the top third… maybe they used ridge straps instead.

As Kenton said…

1 Like

Neither of these says it has to be used, only that if it is used it needs to meet the given requirements, structural ridge excepted.

2 Likes

Not code complaint to structural adequate. May Survive over time. I would retrofit a ridge beam with collar ties added.

Can you cite the code so we could all learn, thank you.

1 Like

Some good info https://www.google.com/search?

q=strong+back+and+purlin&sa=X&rlz=1C1PRFI_enUS879US879&biw=1366&bih=625&sxsrf=ALeKk00y_6n10hS5fyGviI88W6ZgIlU79A:1603812469652&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=FWWkofgrpjju1M%252CJ45nm03zLzgj3M%252C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kTqk0Ybg_A-qm0YMhoM8h0kcTZR7A&ved=2ahUKEwi0vaiEi9XsAhXDop4KHfX6CiMQ9QF6BAgDEAo#imgrc=N7MTi5DEr1waoM

Mark, I’m not following you, I’m aware of what a purlin is… are you saying the rafters are overspanned? I asked for specific code, not a google link to what a purlin/strongback is :slight_smile: You made a claim the roof framing assembly is not code compliant, please explain.

This all depends where it is , when it is built and if a permit is needed. There are many areas permits are not required or not required if addition is less than x amount of square footage. Here is the Wisconsin building code excerpt. I find it odd they require ridge boards and collar ties.

(4) Roof rafters.

(a) General.

1. Rafters shall be notched to fit the exterior wall plate and fastened to the wall.

2. Collar ties shall be installed on the upper third of every third pair of abutting roof rafters or every 48 inches, whichever is less.

Note: Collar ties are intended to provide stability to the roof at the ridge. Lateral restraint for the walls must be provided in accordance with sub. (2).

(b) Ridge boards.

1. Where rafters meet to form a ridge, the rafters shall be attached to a ridge board.

2. The ridge board shall have a depth at least equal to the length of the cut end of the rafter abutting it.

3. Where all rafters are placed directly opposite each other or are offset at the ridge board by less than the thickness of the rafter, the ridge board shall have a nominal thickness of at least 1 inch.

4. Where one or more rafters are offset at the ridge board by more than the thickness of the rafter, the ridge board shall have a nominal thickness of at least 2 inches.

(2) Lateral restraint of walls. Provisions shall be taken to absorb the horizontal thrust produced by a sloping roof through the use of wall ties, ceiling joists, beams at the ridge or at the wall or a system designed through structural analysis.

(3) Uplift and suction forces.

(a) General.

1. Roofs shall withstand a pressure of at least 20 pounds per square foot acting upward normal to the roof surface.

2. Roof overhangs, eaves, canopies and cornices shall withstand an upward wind pressure of at least 20 pounds per square foot applied to the entire exposed area.

(b) Anchorage.

1. Roof framing members spanning more than 6 feet measured from the outermost edge of the roof shall be permanently fastened to the top plate of load bearing walls using engineered clips, straps or hangers.

2. Roof framing members spanning 6 feet or less measured from the outermost edge of the roof shall be permanently fastened to the top plate of load bearing walls using toe-nailing or engineered clips, straps or hangers.

Note: For information on toe nailing, see the fastener schedule table in the ch. SPS 325 Appendix A.

A good summary here:

Hope this helps. A ridge beam ties the elements together and supports the roof load at the highest point and defines the roof shape.

Mark