Mixing Valve On New Water Heater

Originally Posted By: lewens
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

This is a new one on me. Frankly I don’t believe it and think it is just a plumber trying to make a quick buck. The home owner had a new rental water heater installed and the plumber installed a mixing valve on the top of the thing saying that according to the new code here in the great white north it was required to limit the temp of the hot water to 128 degrees f. The plumber charged the home owner $200.00 for the mixing valve. Even if it is code I don’t believe the rental company should have charged the home owner for the valve as they own the water heater. There was not even a thermostat on the exterior of the waterheater and no manufacturers markings what so ever anywhere to be seen. I guess I should mention it was an electric heater.

Any takers on this one?

Larry

Originally Posted By: rcooke

lewens wrote:
This is a new one on me. Frankly I don't believe it and think it is just a plumber trying to make a quick buck. The home owner had a new rental water heater installed and the plumber installed a mixing valve on the top of the thing saying that according to the new code here in the great white north it was required to limit the temp of the hot water to 128 degrees f. The plumber charged the home owner $200.00 for the mixing valve. Even if it is code I don't believe the rental company should have charged the home owner for the valve as they own the water heater. There was not even a thermostat on the exterior of the waterheater and no manufacturers markings what so ever anywhere to be seen. I guess I should mention it was an electric heater.
Any takers on this one?
Larry

Yes this is our government looking out for us again .

The excuse is they want to stop legionares disease tank temp must stay over 150 degrees.
I think the plumber shafted the client some I think the valve only costs about $45.00. He was getting paid to install the tank and it should only take much less then 30 minutes to install the mixing valve on a new installation. .

Roy sr.

Roy

Please point me toward the code.

Larry

lewens wrote:
Roy
Please point me toward the code.
Larry

I have no idea where the codes are situated but I heard it first in home depot about one yerar ago and the lady next door just had a new tank .
I went and talked to the plumber he showed me the letter that went out to all fitters from the powers . Yes I do believe it .

Originally Posted By: dduffy

Larry,

I never heard of anyone renting a water heater, and whoever is took it in the shorts.

Can you rent a Heat Pump or furnace there also?? What company offers water heater rentals??

Any type of mixing valve for a three quarter or one inch line should not cost more then a hundred bucks to install, I wouldn't think.

Rental, hmmmm.

dduffy wrote:
Larry,
I never heard of anyone renting a water heater, and whoever is took it in the shorts.

Can you rent a Heat Pump or furnace there also?? What company offers water heater rentals??

Any type of mixing valve for a three quarter or one inch line should not cost more then a hundred bucks to install, I wouldn't think.

Rental, hmmmm.

This is a very successfull scam that many in our great country get caught on .
The rental looks after the installation and all repairs .
They charge enough for the rental that the tank is paid for in about 3 years and seldom do they ever require any service .
This is done by the gas company and the electric company .
Just done on hot water tanks as far as know.
Roy sr

Originally Posted By: dedwards

Hmmm. south of the border we just set the thermostats on the water heater to regulate the water temperature. We are not without scams perpetuated upon the unsuspecting public though. If you buy a dryer it does not come with a cord, if you buy a replacement belt for a vacumn cleaner it comes two to a package even though the average belt lasts about a millenium but it is easier to charge twice as much this way. The lists goes on forever, I just hope this water heater scam doesn’t catch on here. Kind of like renting food

Doug

It has it’s good points. If you get fed up with not having enough hot water, phone up the utility and tell them you want a bigger one and they come and install it. I recently had mine changed from electric to gas fired at no cost to me.

Larry

Originally Posted By: clawrenson

Larry, et al - here is the code reference

http://www.obc.mah.gov.on.ca/userfiles/page_attachments/Library/4/3625351_Qs_and_As.pdf

Originally Posted By: phinsperger

Water temperature in the tank should be set to 60 deg Celsius (140F) to minimize the development of bacteria such as Legionella. To prevent severe burns, I recommend that thermostatic mixing valves (meeting the CSA B125/ASSE 1016 standard) be used to reduce the water temperature at the fixtures to a maximum of 49 deg Celsius (120F). When there are young children, elderly or invalids in the house, you should consider lowering the temperature even further. The tender skin of young children and the slow reaction times if the elderly and handicapped make them most vulnerable top serious hot water burns.

Originally Posted By: twheeler

This is actually a new code requirement for all hot water tank installations

Code Changes: Plumbing Fixtures and Water Temperature

On February 20, 2004, O. Reg. 23/04 was filed amending the Building Code. The amendments affect Parts 3, 7 and 9 of the Code.

The Building Code has been amended to permit greater flexibility in the choice of combustible plumbing fixtures in high buildings. The Code has also been amended to specify that the maximum hot water temperature supplied to fixtures in residential occupancies not exceed 49 degrees Celsius.

The changes are set out in: O. Reg. 23/04