Moisture reading in shower wall

Does anyone take moisture level readings on tiled walls in shower/tub areas?

I usually don’t, I usually just attempt to identify loose tiles, missing grout, etc. On my last inspection I decided to reach in my tool belt and take out my GE Protimeter non invasive meter. Moisture levels were at the lower shower walls behind the shower handles and on the side wall.

I’m now wondering if I should make this part of my standard inspection procedure and how many others perform the same test.

If the house is vacant, I have done that if I saw some bad tile or grout. If it is occupied, I do not because I do not know if the shower was used recently. If the shower is at least ten years old the grout is probably leaking because it was most likely not annually sealed. The best way to check this is to take readings on the other side of the wall which get some splash from the showerhead. Run the shower normally for at least 10 minutes, or 20 minutes if the shower has not been used for a while. If you can get underneath the shower, check that area too. If you have a plumbing access that is easy to get to that is a good area to look also. I usually find nothing but bad news in them. My favorite find is tile on drywall.
Or you could do what most home inspectors do and say it is not required by my SOP, collect your money and let the homeowner deal with the leaking shower. Sad but true.

Good info James. I usually always take a reading if there is noticeable damage or fungus.

I always use the Protimeter and/or the Tramex on all tile enclosures and around all toilets. Another prime location is a tile floor in front of a shower pan. Have found many areas with moisture, usually a result of grout issues or leaking wax seals. I have never received a call from a home owner disputing my findings. If the grout appears darker in color, you will normally find moisture.