Mold Advice

I did a roof inspection last night and ran across one rafter that had several dark “patches”. I’ll be the first to admit, although I could design the roof structure, I am very weak in recognizing mold, which is why I do not offer mold inspections. The rafter in question tested at only a 5% moisture content which makes me think it is not mold. Also it was the only rafter in the attic that had these black patches. What are your thoughts?

Picture 018.jpg

Picture 017.jpg

Look for a vent stack or Bath/kitchen vent under the lowest part of the roof and the moisture can gather in that section only .
This could have happened when the weather is cold .
The vent exhaust could even be under the insulation .
This drove me nuts the first time I saw it until I found the plumbing vent just under the insulation
Roy Cooke sr…RHI…Royshomeinspection.com

I only took the pictures of one small area, but the patches ran the entire length of the rafter. Do you think it may be mold?

yes the rafter acts like a race way with the warm moist air following it all the way up and condenses on the cold roof. I would report it a dark stain possible mould . .I would also tell the people that ( If it is a vent ) that extend to the outside and not be concerned as it needs moisture to grow and this being ( Normally ) a very dry area it should not happen again .
Roy Cooke sr. RHI… Royshomeinspection.com

Canadians use English spelling for many things including ( Mould )