Mold in the attic

I read all his stuff years ago when he came on this website and claimed mold does not cause health effects. I went head to head with him over a year. Trust me, I know what he is all about.

I saw the posts you are talking about and watched it all .
I saw what looked like facts from what I read and your was just your thoughts .
Please if you have proof,facts, ect I would love to read them.
I have talked to Forensic scientist here in Canada and seem to get the same answers .
Also you mentioned RADON again I have taken many courses and am not convinced it is a big deal .
Canada does not ask for Radon testing and health Canada is still not convinced it is a concern.
Different people different ideas .
Unfortunatly some attacked Caomhin pretty viciously and he no longer posts on the NACHI site

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbraun http://nachi.cachefly.net/forum/images/2006/buttons/viewpost.gif
I read all his stuff years ago when he came on this website and claimed mold does not cause health effects. I went head to head with him over a year. Trust me, I know what he is all about.

I saw the posts you are talking about and watched it all .
I saw what looked like facts from what I read and your was just your thoughts .
Please if you have proof,facts, ect I would love to read them.
I have talked to Forensic scientist here in Canada and seem to get the same answers .
Also you mentioned RADON again I have taken many courses and am not convinced it is a big deal .
Canada does not ask for Radon testing and health Canada is still not convinced it is a concern.
Different people different ideas .
Unfortunatly some attacked Caomhin pretty viciously and he no longer posts on the NACHI site .
(" Trust me, I know what he is all about. ") I would love to trust you but I am a home Inspector .

[FONT=Arial]If I can not see it I have no proof it exists .
[/FONT]

This is what Health Canada says about asbestos containing vermiculite:

“The best way to minimize your risk of amphibole asbestos exposure is to avoid disturbing vermiculite-based insulation in any way. If vermiculite-based insulation is contained and not exposed to the home or interior environment, it poses very little risk.”

I have to believe attic mould should be treated in a similar fashion i.e. leave it be and stay out of the attic.

What do you need me to clarify? Mr.Connelly is wrong about mold not causing health effects. I can start posting studies for you if you wish. I can also show you letters from my clients’ doctors linking their illnesses to mold.

Maybe you need to take some studies on mold for you can understand what Connelly is really saying. My Industrial Hygienist has a word for a man like Mr. Connelly and it is “Scam Artist”.

Do you know what the training is required to become a Forensic Industrial Hygienist? I give you a hint, no mold training.

Do you remember why Connelly was ran off the message board?
It was because he boasted about making his living off of helping lawyers sue home inspectors, who just want to help their clients. Then he called all home inspectors idiots. Unlike you, other members take pride in their profession and will not let other people make false accusations and bad mouth it.

You are right, if you are not going to remove the mold the right way than best to leave it alone.

A lot of information here .
http://www.forensic-applications.com/home

I’m not talking about “Connelly” I’m talking about CMHC. Again if you would read the whole message @
Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation | CMHC you would not be jumping to the wrong conclusions. ](*,)

[FONT=Times New Roman][size=3]Thanks for your insult (“Unlike you,”) just because I think differently then you and see things differently you choose to say I do not take pride in our profession.[/size][/FONT]
Using your analogy those home Inspectors who go to court as an expert witness against other home Inspectors are not very nice people .
How about the Home Inspector who does a lousy job and it cost’s the home owner a lot of money do you think we should allow this to continue to happen .
I have seen zero facts from you so this makes me wonder are you one of our poorer Home Inspectors who just might be better of in another industry.

My .02 cents.
If mould is growing on wood or drywall. it is destroying the material it’s growing on. So removal of the mould or material and the cause (humidity) is needed.
Try telling a client who has anything from asthma to cancer that mould doesn’t matter, you may have just lost a client.
It matters to them.
I understand some inspectors don’t want to get involved with mould and that’s ok, mould is beyond a typical home inspection. It’s prudent though as an inspector to understand what to do when the “M” word comes up.

You can NEVER remove all mold it is in everything, remedy the moisture and leave it alone.

The “unlike you” comment is to let people know you think it is okay for somebody to come on this message board that has no proof of his claims and trash the home inspector profession.
If people come on this message board and bragged about making their living by helping lawyers sue home inspectors, yes then they are not very nice people. They are not welcome here. Your support of these people disgust me.
If the consumer does not do any research and just goes by referrals from his/her Realtor, they get what they deserve. You have proven stupidity cannot be cured.

Okay Roy, can tell me the Mayo Clinic and medical professions are wrong about mold not causing disease http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/aspergillosis/DS00950 .

Like I said before you need to perform some studies on mold before you knock what problem mold really causes.

Sorry about that Vern. I apologize for jumping to a wrong conclusion. Yes, it is good info about mold. Please accept my apology.

Only be concerned about considered toxic molds, not all molds. Now, if somebody has a sensitivity to a common (nontoxic) mold then this is a different story.

As for as sensitivity rates go, this is the hardest thing for people to understand. Everybody will have a different sensitivity rate to mold. Some people can handle a higher mold exposure than other people. This is mainly due to our body being made up of different chemicals. Nobody, even in the same family, has the exact same make up of chemicals. Mold when releasing spores emits a mycrotoxican which is a chemical. Some chemicals mammals are sensitive to at even lose doses. But also do not forget that when somebody is overexposed to about any chemical they will become sensitive to that chemical.
This is why there are conflicting studies in mold, formaldehyde and radon. Formaldehyde has about a half a dozen different organization that have set different levels of formaldehyde that are considered safe. Radon has the EPA that says one level is not safe when it is above one level, and the World Health Organization says the safe level is much lower. Just because top scientists cannot agree, does not say that radon and formaldehyde at high enough levels are not a danger to our health. Nor can it be said about mold.

Now the exposure to mold spores themselves is a totally different hazard, and I can go into that this winter (when I have more time) if somebody really wants to know.

A very limited number of people find mold a serious issue.

IMHO they should should hire a qualified Industrial Hygienist specializing in mycology to determine the need for remediation.

I have to agree with your statement and it looks like you are are talking about yourself ("You have proven stupidity cannot be cured ")

DID not work as I said James I would love some facts not just your thoughts …

I do not run nor work for the Mayo Clinic so it is not my thoughts. The disease is even named after the mold.](*,)