Mold Inspection Results

Hello all. I’ve been offering mold inspections for a few months now, and after doing a few, I’m starting to realize I have a hard time verbalizing my recommendations. I receive the lab results and can’t seem to find the right language to explain the results and recommend how to proceed. Any comments and advice is greatly appreciated

Where did you receive your training, and where are you licensed?

I received all training and certifications through InterNACHI. I understand what I’m doing and reading when I see the lab results - I just don’t know if I’m wording things properly when explaining to client. And really, how much should I be recommending, as far as procedures

If you are simply struggling for words, ChatGPT could help with writer’s block. As far as recommending procedures, that is mostly outside of our lane as generalist home inspectors. Any recommended remedies / cleanup should come from licensed / certified / mold specialists. You do not want the liability of recommending any procedures and you are likely not insured for it either.

3 Likes

If online AI tools don’t have the answer, they simply make shit up. AI experts call this hallucinations. We already have actually Home Inspectors making shit up, the last thing we need is a computer doing it.

5 Likes

He said he was trained and knew what he was doing. So, I presume he could ferret out anything bogus in the AI response. It is a tool.

5 Likes

But, he also claims…

And…

So, IMO, his training has failed him, or…?

I’m more so looking for common language used among other mold inspectors. This forum is here to provide answers to questions and discussions about what we do, is it not?

Q & A is one thing… Training you to do your job is completely another.
You paid Internachi for Membership and Training Courses.
Perhaps you need to retake the training.

If you are not a Mold Assessor, I would be minimal with the delivery. Some states have mandatory licensure for filling the role of an assessor, so you need to know the rules where you live.

I have reviewed other people’s reports that provide the lab data and a “how to read your mold report” blog article from the lab’s website. They don’t interpret or mention it other than providing the lab data. Your client hired a Home Inspector, not a mold assessor.

4 Likes

Thank you for your response

Interesting from an HI perspective… :thinking: :wink:
image

I had to fix that. I cannot have the internet thinking we use Chat-gpt, mood rings, and “decision dice” to write our reports.

2 Likes

And Ryan Uecker is losing his touch if this isn’t made into the next great Home Inspection meme about incompetent inspectors

2 Likes

I would keep it simple and direct.

The lab results indicated blah blah blah…
I recommend immediate remediation by a qualified contractor.
Or
No further action is recommended at this time.

2 Likes

In Florida we are required to provide a remediation protocol along with the lab report which details how the remediation should proceed. If you goggle ‘Florida mold report protocol example’ you will find what you are looking for.

3 Likes

If you aren’t IAC2 certified of trained via InterNachi mold inspections, you should get trained before doing any mold inspections or testing.

You are so right James. These guys spend so much time ridiculing you and not providing an answer to your question. I found your problem is common amongst a lot of mold testers and most of them just leave the report to people. I suggest you get a hold of Ecan environmental for Mold reporting classes. That may help you explain the results to the clients. I had to take a class a couple times before it sunk in. I’ve been added since 1999, and I’m always improving my answers, but Ecan is always available to help review your report and assist you in writing a response, at no charge. But I would take their mold report writing class, and after that you will have a lifelong resource for help. Will Kading - Master Building Inspection & Environmental - Home, Manufactured & Commericial Inspections. Anciliary Services Indoor Air Quality (Alergens) testing, Radon Measurement Specialist #22SS005 , Mold and Air Quality Testing

3 Likes

William, I really appreciate the new resource you’ve provided and I will definitely check it out. It sounds like it could be a big help. Also, huge thanks for your kind response!

2 Likes

Thanks for confirming my opinion!