Mold Types which ones are dangerous?

When you get your mold reports back from the lab, the report will list the types found. Which ones do you call out as dangerous?
Thanks ahead of time. I am checking for future reference.

The most common are:

Stachy and Chaetomium.
Asp/Pen when the count is more than 10 times the outside count, or more than ten times the detection limit when there is no outside count detected. Also you will need lower counts do to what type of sensitivity. Last school I did was less than 4 times the outside was acceptable. Let your Industrial Hygienist sets your limits.

Levels higher than the outside can be considered unhealthy. All molds can be considered dangerous, depending on who they are effecting. That is a decission for the clients doctor to make, not you as the inspector. If you have someone who is immunosupressed liing in the home, it is going to effect them a lot differently than someone with a healthy immune system.

Under no circumstances should you be telling clients that one mold is more dangerous than another. You will most definately open up a can of worms that is going to be real hard to close. Do the inspection, get the results and determine if there are elevated levels present. That is it!

James, can you tell me what course you are referring to thaqt says Asp/Pen greater than 10 times the outside is the threshold? I have never come across that in any of the courses that I have taken.


The method you use works fine for testing before remediation just do not perform a clearance on a remediation job using that method. Keep in mind, let your Industrial Hygenist set your limits. I meet my IH while taking the IESO course in St. Louis.

Good advice from where I sit.
Ever see this on the EPA website:
"Sampling for mold should be conducted by professionals who have specific experience in designing mold sampling protocols, sampling methods, [FONT=Arial]and interpreting the results."[/FONT] EPA
"Experience in interpretation of results is essential.” EPA

Maybe that’s why the ACAC requires two years experience to apply for a certification.

The sad part is I know inspectors who have been testing for our five years and still cannot interpret samples.

All mold is to be treated the same as far as the inspector is concerned. None is more dangerous than the next, as we are not health professionals, only inspectors. We should not be interpreting test results, as there are no ratified standards yet established which sets limits or flags mold species. A lot is dependent on the health of the one exposed.

James may be the exception to the rule, as he may have the training to understand what he is reviewing. Of course, he needs to be absolutely correct in his interpreataion of face the liability monster. What’s good for James may not be goor for the rest, I advise to couch what advice you give to your clients.

Since working in a hospital environment, my eyes have been opened to the workings of certain species of mold, and their effects on the sick and immunocomprimised.

My suggestion is to research the incidents with aspergilliosis and NY Presbyterian Hospital. When you drill into the data, you will learn that the problem is more pervasive than one may expect, and may be exacerbated by a number of factors.

Joe is correct.
Even a small amount of Asp. can cause a person problems. I have seen it first hand.

Thanks for your help. I appreciate it!


Mark this date on your calendar…

We actually agreed on a mold issue…:mrgreen: