Motel/condo inspection request.

Originally Posted By: jspringstead
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I’ve been called to perform an inspection on a 62 unit motel that’s going to be turned into condo units. Building is 10 years old and has an indoor pool with some type of ceiling moisture problems. Otherwise, the investors are basically looking for any "surprises " . Doesn’t seem much different than my normal condo inspection other than its very large. (only 2-story) Any advice/help on pricing or procedures? Thanks in advance. icon_smile.gif

Originally Posted By: hgordon

Have you walked the property?

Will all units be VACANT?

Will they be “gutting” them?

What is their position on Major Appliances?

Do any of the units have access to attic space?

What type of HVAC is there?

Are you to report all or only MAJOR (items over 500 to repair or replace)?

What is the timeline required?

Will mold testing be allowed where required?

--more to come after you've answered these....

--
Harvey Gordon
SE Florida NACHI Chapter - President
hgordon@fl.nachi.org

Originally Posted By: jtroth

I am curious as to how to figure out the pricing to do such an inspection. Per unit? square foot?

Habitation Investigation LLC

Providing Home Inspections in Ohio

http://www.homeinspectionsinohio.com

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

I just did a 39 unit motel with a three bedroom home on the property…if I would have quoted a price I probably would have been screwed. Took 12.5 hours to complete the inspection over a day and a half. I just quoted an hourly rate.

I’m working on the report which will take me more than 8 hours to complete I’m sure with over 200 photo’s to include in it…I plan that for tomorrow…it’s two reports really. One for the home and one for the motel.

The only part of the job I dread!

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: jspringstead

200 photos! Wow, I believe your using report host also aren’t you? I just finished one and have 3 more on my deck to complete today. How are you resizing/downloading?

I’m thinking I’m going to tell my motel/condo investors that I’ll do it by the hour. I was thinking 8-12 hours total, depending on how detailed they want to get. Building is covered in some type of “stucco” product that after only 10 years is showing signs of falling off and decay. Interior seems pretty straight up. Each unit has its own wall heat/air unit. Pool room has a drop ceiling that frames are rusting badly. Been awful busy this month but hate to turn the work down! icon_biggrin.gif

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

Yep…reporthost. I use windows xp powertoys image resizer. Resized all the pictures in about 20 seconds, and then just emailed all the pics in to reporthost…2 minutes.

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector