Mould Inspections

I’ve heard that from a few people now. Latest is John McKenna. I’m sitting in his IR class as I type. I highly recommend it.

[FONT=Times-Roman]According to him… To prevent [/FONT][FONT=Times-Bold]fungi-mold [/FONT][FONT=Times-Roman]– keep moisture below [/FONT][FONT=Times-Bold][FONT=Times-Bold]16%[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times-Bold]
[/FONT]

What material?

The use of a moisture meter or IR is still part of a visual inspection and they provide objective results. You are even able to zero in on areas which need further invasive inspection without testing.

And to further clarify what you already clarified, hidden mold will not be finding its way in unless there are pathways connecting it to disperse spores, the moisture will be(and rapidly) and will germinate what spores are present.

I appreciate you stressing the control of moisture. As inspectors we can’t stress the moisture enough, it is the only ingredient needed for mold growth in the home which a homeowner can control.

IICRC S500

Of course Cameron does not believe it, because according to him IICRC are only carpet cleaners.:wink:

8-16% is what wood framing should be dried to according to the IICRC500.

Cameron actually believes IICRC is made up of a bunch of carpet cleaners.](*,)

It is obvious from reading this post, you have no knowledge of mold testing, nor have ever conducted any mold testing successfully. You should start by reading the IICRC520 2nd edition, which most of the information you seek is there. Come back and then ask me some more questions.
Also you need to go back to elementary to understand how to define meanings of words ( hint: each word is defined separately, not in groups).
Another thing is a so called mold expert cannot be used if he admits he does not have any education in mold.

That’s funny considering Connell, a true mold expert, said the same thing word for word, about you after correcting many of your other made up mold facts.

Your post above was full of nice non-responses, so why don’t you try again:

1. **Show any recognized and respected source which uses the term “considered toxic”, as you do, to describe molds which produce mycotoxins. **
  2. **Show any recognized and respected medical source which uses the term “mold toxification”, as you do, to describe a person suffering from a physiological reaction to mold. **
  3. Show any recognized and respected source which corroborates your claim that spores not being cleaned up properly will increase the ease with which mold will regrow.
  4. Show any recognized and respected source which corroborates your claim that air sampling can tell you the condition of the carpet.
  5. Show any recognized and respected source which corroborates your claim that air sampling can be used to find hidden mold.

Any one will do, we’re here and ready to learn but we cannot just take your word for it as there is a large scientific community which disputes your claims.

Ha!
No just 10 out of the 13 on the IICRC Board :smiley:

And 10 of the 18 shareholders.

And there’s this…

Your devotion to the IICRC doesn’t make your statements about mold any more accurate.

BTW, the terms “considered toxic” and “mold toxification” do not appear anywhere in the IICRC 2nd Ed.

Also, using air sampling to find hidden mold by getting higher spore counts closer and closer to the source is not discussed in the IICRC 2nd Ed nor does it recommend air sampling to determine if carpet needs replaced or just cleaned. Perhaps you read that elsewhere. Care to share your source?

I can prove I have mold education. Your hero cannot.

Sampling may help locate the source of mold contamination, identify some of the mold species present, and differentiate between mold and soot or dirt. Pre- and post-remediation sampling may also be useful in determining whether remediation efforts have been effective.
http://www.epa.gov/mold/mold_remediation.html#Sampling

The above statement took only minutes to find. I cannot help anybody who does not want to learn.

So the S520 does not point out that Cameron does not know crap about mold. And your point is?

Not the membership. Did you ever do a search or ever worked with the industry, you would not being making such a stupid comment. http://www.iicrc.org/locate-a-certified-professional/#north-america

Yes, I’m familiar with that article. Unfortunately, that may be as close as you’re going to get, but it doesn’t corroborate your statement.

In fact, it doesn’t even specify a type of sampling or how it could be used. Later in the article it does specifically mention air sampling:

That doesn’t bode well for your carpet or hidden mold statements unless there is some way to prove that what is in the air at that moment also represents what is hidden in the walls, ceilings or in the carpet. Of course, that’s exactly the problem with your statements.

I know you made a point of saying “The above statement took only minutes to find” in order to make it appear as though there are many other respected sources which you could draw from. Are those sources available?

I believe I made it clear there are only 10 board members and 10 shareholders who are carpet cleaners. :slight_smile:

Okay, this is beginning to get ridiculous. My original post asked what people who do mould inspections include in their reports. Cameron and James, you both seem to be full of information - what would a standard mould report by your companies look like if I had suspicions of health concerns and saw visible moisture intrusion in my home then hired you to test for mould?

This may help:
(A) The purpose of any mold assessment is to determine the sources, locations, and extent of mold growth in a building and to determine the condition(s) that caused the mold growth.
(B) A visual inspection to identify the presence of visible mold and/or excessive, unplanned moisture intrusion (past and present).
(1) A visual inspection should include all surfaces inside the building, hidden areas where moisture sources may be present, such as but not limited to, crawl spaces, attics, and behind vinyl wallpaper, baseboards, carpets, and wallboard wherever possible.

(2) Specific indicators to note during the visual assessment include, but are not limited to the following:
a. Suspect mold growth;
b. Musty odor;
c. Moisture damage; and
d. Damp building materials and/or conditions.

(C) An** assessor shall prepare a Mold Assessment Report (MAR), to include a Mold Remediation Protocol** (MRP), that is specific to each remediation project and provide the MRP to the client before the remediation begins.

Air sampling is only a small part of a mold pre or post inspection.
ps I didn’t read the entire thread but I hope this helps.

To begin with, there would be no test for mold if there were genuine health concerns unless the client had already gone to the doctor for some evaluation. To test prior to this is paramount to stealing from the client in my book since symptoms of allergic reaction to mold or asthma are similar to hundreds of other causes. If a known health concern is determined, extensive testing should be performed by a qualified IH over a period of several days to determine the true IAQ of the home and not just limited to molds.

Otherwise, after an initial evaluation on site, I may still do a full inspection and look for signs of visible mold and evaluate those areas of concern where moisture intrusion was suspected or is perhaps unknown. This includes the exterior and nearly every part of the interior so the inspection follows the same path from the exterior to the interior and most of the major systems, just as a residential inspection. Recommendations and photo documentation would be provided in the same format of my residential reports.

The highest priority is finding out what has caused the moisture intrusion or high humidity and determining(if possible) whether it is a previous occurrence or an ongoing problem. This cannot be stressed enough, moisture is the real problem and a mitigation is not considered cleared until the moisture problem has been corrected.

If mold is present there is no need for testing. The location of the growth may inevitably require disposal of some material so further invasive inspection will probably happen right then and there. Cleanup follows.

You noticed Cameron is the only one saying testing solves nothing. You will also notice he advertises testing on his website. You will also find out that Cameron has minimal education in mold. What does that add up to?

NACH’s board is mainly vendors, so I guess NACHI is just made up of vendors.](*,)

Why would mold need to be located if it was not hidden?