Move In Certified | Questions from sellers and agents

I completely believe in MIC, but I get pushback from agents and sellers. They want to know if they disclose my report does that mean that they the sellers have to make all the repairs? If not all defects have to be addressed, is there something that constitutes a mandatory repair by the seller? Is there anything that the seller has to agree to in order for their house to qualify as “Move In Certified”?

Thanks

Welcome to our forum, Garrett!..enjoy participating. :smiley:

So the short of the long is, the seller is doing this inspection to know if there is anything to be found or not disclosed in the listing that will cause a snag that must be fixed in about 10 days! Rather they can get things fixed at their leisure before making it active on the MLS. Or it can be put in the listing that “The seller to replace the HVAC unit prior to closing”. Then they can get it right on the market w/o the repair completed.

Another point; Repairs have to be made if requested from the buyer before the sales agreement becomes contract regardless of who finds it. Or they pull the offer and move on (It is not a contract until the sales agreement is signed and returned to the buyer). Now the Seller knows about the problem and has to disclose it, fix it so the next buyer won’t walk, or lower the price of the house.

A seller does not have to disclose a defect if it is professionally repaired (and has the paperwork on file). So you do your job, they fix it, case closed. They have the right to assume that it has been fixed. Some issues, like water intrusion must be disclosed regardless if they were fixed, in some states. Again, that’s someone else’s job.

Just learn all these things so you can adequately market your program. Show how it helps the Seller, Realtor, and the Buyer from things no one found. It can and will potentially come back and bite any/all parties involved in the sale.
This information may not apply in some crazy states.

Good question & a good reply.

I operate in the Washington DC Metropolitan area which encompasses Maryland, Northern Virginia & DC proper.

In 2021 & still, houses in this region are on the market less than 14 days, quite often less than 7, and receive multiple offers (frequently between 15 & 25) most well above asking price. This has allowed Listing Agents to deny time slots for Home Inspections & inform potential Buyers that offers with contingencies would not even be considered. And certainly no repairs or credits!

Obviously multiple offers create lots of work volume for Listing Agents & Buyers’ Agents alike.

Our marketing focus has been on highlighting the advantages the MIC has for Realtors on both sides by thinning the herd, as it were, of prospective Buyers, including

1- Buyers will have a clear upfront knowledge of the home’s conditions and any faults found.
2- Buyers can more accurately tailor their offer to their purchase budget…
3- Buyers have a better idea of & can budget for repairs after their purchase.
4- Buyers will have the peace of mind the upfront knowledge of the home’s condition will give them,
5- Buyers can speak to me, the Home Inspector (I am happy to answer questions with prior Seller authorization) as part of their purchasing process. And critically;
6- Realtors will know immediately whether the Buyers can or want to move forward with a bid or can or will not, saving paperwork, phone calls & time.

This may not work in everyone’s market but it is an additional way to sell the concept to what has historically been an less than receptive market segment & generate those upstream sales.

Food for Thought.

1 Like

Welcome to our forum, Jose!..enjoy participating. :smiley: