Musings on a Home Inspector's Job

I have some down time as I recuperate from prostate surgery, so with your kind indulgence, I will offer some thoughts about our business.
In another thread
Replacing dead front cover screws? - Specific Inspection Topics / Electrical Inspections - InterNACHI®️ Forum
George Wells makes some comments that I not only find interesting but I think worthy of a fuller discussion.
That conversation involved things we often see behind a service panel’s dead front, but his bigger picture comments apply to all aspects of what we do, in my opinion.

Yup, that is the best. But do we have to do that in writing for every defect?
I say no, but certainly understanding the hazard created by the defect is good to have if asked by interested parties. First, let’s summarize our job description found in the InterNACHI SoP.
 Do a non-invasive, visual examination
 Find and describe material defects
 Provide a written report of the found defects
Optionally, we can include additional comments and recommendations.
The “rub” is found in interpreting and who is doing the interpretation of the definition of “material defect.” The SoP defines it as a specific issue with a system or component of a residential property that may have a significant, adverse impact on the value of the property, or that poses an unreasonable risk to people.
Not only will all of us disagree here and there on the severity and importance of various defects; our clients, experts and licensed tradespeople, and other interested parties will also disagree with us sometimes. These disagreements, occasional legal actions, and competition from increasingly aggressive home inspectors have forced an evolution in our business from reporting only “the big” things to just about everything. CYA has become synonymous with a good inspection. Us old timers can debate and lament the changes and the reasons, but I don’t know how you deny them or go back. For newbies, this is the business they enter. Lucky for them, they don’t know any different. Unlucky, for them, it is a tougher business than it was 25 years ago.
In our biz, you ignore an insignificant defect at your peril. Twenty-five years ago, it was easier to shrug off dinker defects, but not so much anymore. “Picky” inspectors get more business, higher fees, and a better reputation. On this forum, we see “soft” inspectors derided, but some of these “soft” inspectors are writing common sense reports that don’t elevate minor defects. (Of course, common sense is very subjective, but that is another topic) Our business has evolved that “pickier” inspectors are preferred by our clients.

I would say that differently, but the inference is that we are doing inadequate training. The realities of our business dictate the training. When Colorado tried to license home inspectors, and we were writing the proposed law; I played a bit of devil’s advocate and stated that if we were serious about qualifications, we would require two years of class work in all of the construction trades and a minimum of 200 mentored inspections. It goes without saying that my fellow inspectors shot me down in a flash. They made the practical argument that those rules would create an impractical barrier to entry into our business and the few complaints by consumers does not indicate a need for that much education.
A “narrow understanding” is the result of time constraints in training but also an acknowledgement that CYA is so much of our business. I think I can sum it up in a sentence…If code says it is wrong, report it as wrong. Explaining why a defect is a hazard and the importance of that hazard are helpful, but plain and simple, for us…being a code violation is sufficient explanation.
We are only home inspectors. Knowledgeable but not experts in all trades and fields. Neither are we code inspectors, but obviously, just about everything we inspect has a code for it. We should at least have a partial acquaintance with the most common code violations. Because if anyone comes behind us and asks if the home inspector reported this issue, the answer better be yes. So then, the next discussion is about how do we report it.
In other discussions on this forum and a class at the Orlando convention, it has been declared that home inspectors should not rate the severity of defects. Just report it and let the client decide how important it is.
In my world, it ain’t that easy. It is not just that all my competitors are rating defects or our reporting programs default to rating defects. My clients and their agents want to know the importance of these defects. Particularly, if it is “health and safety.” Jumping up and down while pointing at the SoP is fine and good in a legal setting, but if I want clients to think they got their monies worth, I will offer some guidance on the importance of this or that defect. So, I agree that we should be able to explain the hazard associated with a defect, our first priority is report it. Most software these days have a default boilerplate explanation that the defect is really bad. No doubt some attorneys have decreed that to be good CYA. But one thing I firmly believe is that ignoring a minor defect is not good CYA.
Some guy or gal fresh out of home inspection school should be able to do an adequate inspection that identifies major defects with a decent portion of minor defects tossed in. Circling back to the beginning here, who decides what is a material defect starts with us. However, ultimately it falls on our client to finalize that decision. To reach their decision they often ask us for guidance. In my market, I don’t think it will go down well with most clients if I tell them I just observe and report. It is up to them to rate the defect.
They expect guidance from me. Afterall, I say it is a defect so what does that mean? Usually, it is sufficient to say it is a code violation. “Ok, but what if I don’t do anything?” Now I enter gray area, maybe a danger zone. It is easy and arguably CYA to go straight to the worst-case scenario description, but is that in the best interest of my client? Sometimes, but not always. So, what to do? I am not sure there is a short answer. In our world, identifying a mountain or a molehill is frequently a subjective decision. Knowledge is your guide. Gravitas from years of experience helps. Having both is important when rating a defect but I suggest to you that downplaying the importance of a defect better be done from a secure position of knowledge and gravitas.
Finally, over and over the SoP is waived in someone’s face as if it is some last word on the topic, whatever the topic is. In general, the legal commentary that I am familiar with, opines that the InterNACHI SoP as a bare minimum inspection. (Obviously, states with their own SoP will determine how it applies to how you are inspecting there. None more than in Texas)
For most of us in states where the InterNACHI SoP is allowed to be our standard, we can inspect beyond the SoP but never less than the SoP.
An attorney here in Colorado explained, that in his experience, judges look favorably on inspectors who inspect beyond the SoP. They don’t look like they are trying to do the bare minimum to make a buck but actually care about doing a best inspection. For those of us inspecting beyond the SoP, we basically create our own personal SoP that becomes our standard for every inspection.
My two cents is that our SoP has been dated by the changes in our business. It is time to update it to better reflect what the vast majority of us are doing and what constitutes an inspection that best protects the interests of our clients.

16 Likes

Great read Lon, thanks for your time. Poor inspectors do not stay in business very long. There is certainly a degree of natural selection in this business. I agree with the evolution of the inspection industry. We have become our own worst enemy in some ways. We do more for less, and more does not necessarily equate to better. We run around like chickens with our heads cut off, snapping pictures on our phones of loose doorknobs and cracks in old sidewalks. I don’t think we will ever get the toothpaste back in the tube, especially considering there is a canned narrative ready for each event.

10 Likes

very true!

Speedy recovery Lon!

3 Likes

Heal fast Sir !

2 Likes

Thanks for the Musings on a Home Inspector, Lon.

As for, George Well’s. Wonderful overview of the subject.
Always grateful when George chimes in.

Being afflicted with prostate insufficiency’s can certainly be a pain in the ass.
Get well at a logical rate. Slowly but surely wins the race.

Regards.
Robert

3 Likes

The InterNACHI SOP is full of inconsistencies. First, it defines a home inspection as “a non-invasive, visual examination of the accessible areas of a residential property…designed to identify defects within specific systems and components… deemed material by the inspector…”.

It then goes on to list specific defects that inspectors are required to report on that are not material, including improper spacing of balusters and missing drain stops. It requires inspectors to report wood near or in contact with soil, whether or not the wood is rated to be near or in contact with soil.

The education department makes current code synonymous with SOP and teaches new inspectors to treat every minor code violation as a material defect. Essentially, the goal of InterNACHI home inspection is to find as many defects as possible. New inspectors are also taught to rate the defect as well.

In contrast, the goal of an ASHI home inspection is to to provide the client with information about the condition of inspected systems and components The condition is in the inspectors express opinion based on genuine conviction and only within their areas of education, training, or experience. The only conditions that are required to be reported are are not functioning properly, significantly deficient, unsafe, or are near the end of their service lives.

In an effort to differentiate themselves from their arched rival, InterNACHI has redefined the meaning of a home inspection from an observation of a condition to a endless list of defects. They also use terminology incorrectly, such as “dead front”, and use terms in the wrong context, such as “floating neutral”.

That’s my two cents.

8 Likes

Amen!

That is inexcusable in my opinion. Not long ago, InterNACHI published an electrical article rife with egregious misinformation, such as referring to two phases in a single-phase electrical system. Ben Gromicko said that the InterNACHI staff wrote the article. They obviously don’t have an electrical expert on the staff.

Now we have inspectors going around talking about the existence floating neutrals that don’t exist, calling panel covers dead fronts whether or not they are actually dead fronts, and referring to opposite phases in a single-phase system.

Using wrong terminology has become the accepted norm.

6 Likes

Misinformation has become the accepted norm. Read the political threads on this forum or watch the daily news.

Two distinct forms of misinformation are now commonplace. One is hyperbole or simply exaggeration and the other is prevarication and or outright lying.

Neither is useful or acceptable and both are often explained away as, “I misspoke.” The claim of misspeaking merely compounds the error as speech (when awake) is a totally conscious act.

3 Likes

The irony is that this is supposed to be “The Information Age”.

Anyone can post anything on the internet. I read electrical articles almost daily. Many are on electricians’ websites. The amount of misinformation is astounding.

A year or two ago someone posted a link in this forum to a YouTube video that he thought was informative. I watched it. It was so full of errors that it was inconceivable to me that the guy was really an electrician. The worst thing though is that he had more than 600,000 followers!!

I read through the dozens of comments praising him for his video. Then, I saw that Mike Holt had commented. He called the kid out on his many errors. I had also called him out and some others who obviously know a little about electrical systems did too.

To the kid’s credit, he did acknowledge in a subsequent video that he had used some improper terminology and had made other errors in the previous video. It was good that he did that, but he also left the video strewn with misinformation on YouTube. The right thing to do would have been to take it down, but it had something like a million views and he was selling some worthless electrical gadget, so I’m sure the money he was raking in was more important to him than accuracy.

2 Likes

IMO, applying a condition rating is mostly subjective. For example, nobody knows how long a system will last; there are just way too many variables involved. Whereas, documenting a simple deficiency is objective. If you want to stay out-of-trouble as a home inspector, present only observable, objective, verifiable facts. And, the more facts you report about the home, the more knowledge the client will possess, which is what I think is the most important aspect of our job and best service to our clients.

4 Likes

Hi, @gwells.

If there’s any errors in anything published by InterNACHI®, please help us make those corrections or edits by emailing the Education Team at [email protected].

Most articles, all courses, all exams, all textbooks, many illustrations, all inspection checklists, and various Standards of Practice, and most webinars and training videos have been created by me. There’s no one else on staff who could have written an electrical article you’re referring to.

Feel free to email me [email protected] with any errors you catch. I would really appreciate it.

Mistakes happen. Correcting them is our top priority.

8 Likes

Nope. I disagree. Teaching how to find defects is part of the training. And the SoP and building code are very different from each other. One is for home inspectors; the other is for building officials (new construction mostly). Knowing building code is very helpful in finding defects, for sure. But that’s not the “goal of InterNACHI.” Nope.

9 Likes

Get well soon !!

3 Likes

If that’s true, I’ll agree with ASHI for the first time ever. It’s no secret that I blame ASHI for some of HI’s most serious problems.

In the UK, what we call a home inspection report in the US is called a home condition report (or simply an HCR).

Every HI SOP in North America puts the emphasis on evaluating the home’s condition. It is code inspector wannabes and HI schools that are trying to change the definition of a home inspection.

2 Likes

I find “material defect” to be subjective, and a tough one to define. It is almost in “the eye of the beholder.”

Quite the contrary. Over and over, I emphasize that we not only are not doing code inspections, we do not want our clients to think that is what we are doing. At the same time, it is obvious that most of what we inspect and report as a defect is covered by some code.

They need to know the significance of defects. Not all defects are equal.

4 Likes

I’ve only been inspecting for about nine years so whatever problems ASHI created were probably done prior to me coming on the scene.

My assessment comes directly from SOP’s: InterNACHI’s is ”designed to identify defects within specific systems and components” whereas ASHI’s ”are intended to provide the client with information about the condition of inspected systems and components.”

3 Likes

Yes, they were doing the damage from the 1970s through the early 2000s when they fought to keep the standards disgracefully low. Today, fortunately, they are barely relevant. Nine years ago, they were already barely relevant. I don’t know how they manage to carry on. They are going the way of NAHI. Maybe one day in the not too distant future, InterNACHI will absorb whatever is left of ASHI like they did with NAHI.

I’ve never been a joiner of anything. The trade groups I’ve belonged to, before NACHI, I only belonged because it was expected. I regarded them as just another expense. My participation was minimal.

I joined NACHI (as it was then known) because there was HI licensing legislation that ASHI was trying to push through in Ohio. They wanted ASHI membership to be a requirement. That really made my blood boil.

A friend and fellow home inspector who had the same opinions I had joined NACHI. He saw NACHI as the most promising counterbalance to ASHI. He joined NACHI first. I called Nick Gromicko. We had a great conversation. His vision and mine were very closely aligned, so I joined.

I continued to oppose licensing in Ohio for the next 20 years. Unfortunately, Ohio eventually passed a license law for home inspectors. I had long since moved my business to Michigan, but I still did a considerable amount of business in Ohio so I begrudgingly got the Ohio license.

The day I learned that Ohio was going to turn home inspectors into a fungible commodity with their license I started making plans to stop working in Ohio. Which, incidentally, I did before my license expired. I continued to do commercial work in Ohio, but home inspections in Michigan only.

ASHI has destroyed the HI industry by endeavoring to keep the standards low. Because of ASHI we are too deep into the abyss. As an industry we have accepted low standards and mediocrity as the norm. ASHI driven licensing has spread like an aggressive terminal cancer across the US.

I still hold out hope for the future of home inspection as an occupation, but I won’t live long enough to see any appreciable improvement. As I see it, InterNACHI is literally our only hope. I hope I live long enough to see the day when ASHI completely ceases to exist. That will be a day worthy of celebration!

5 Likes

Wishing you a full and speedy recovery, Lon.

4 Likes

I remember our conversation not too long ago, Lon. I relate better to doctors when I realize that they are literally “practicing” medicine.

I wish you the very best in your recuperation and life beyond. :folded_hands:

6 Likes