My copper water pipes show rust and corrosion.

Originally Posted By: bob haller
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

My copper water pipes show rust and corrosion.

Thats what the home inspector wrote about the house I have for sale. I am confused as to how to proceed. Dont copper water lines normally turn black and scaly after 50 years? COLD water rushes in on hot humid summer days and pipes sweat icon_cry.gif There are no leaks and although some lines have been replaced because of relocating appliances etc I really dont know what to do about this highlighted item?

Should I attempt to clean the lines somehow? Is there a good copper cleaner?

The buyer backed out and I just want the next home inspector to be happy with the condition of the house.

Originally Posted By: jpeck

I’m confused. Copper does not rust.

Jerry Peck

South Florida

Originally Posted By: Guest

painting them would be easier than cleaning them. Like Jerry said…copper doesn’t rust.

Confused me too. Inspector said its discoloration. however heres a direect quite from the report…

basement...

"Most of the pipes were covered and were hidden and concealed and could not be seen or inspected properly at the time of inspection. Pipes that were not hidden and concealed were made of copper and plastic and looked to be in fair to good condition with rust and corrosion showing at the time of inspection"

The statue of liberty is discolored too:( Copper loose that brite penny look over time:(

Is there a easy way to clean copper pipes? The reference to hidden... A previous owner put a permanent cieling in the basement, its nice but a pain if you need to do something like add a outlet or outside water outlet
![icon_sad.gif](upload://nMBtKsE7kuDHGvTX96IWpBt1rTb.gif)

ME! I just dont want the next inspector to scare off a perspective buyer.... So I figure its time to fix what I can.I had painted the ones in the areas that were painted previously, like basement walls.

Plastic lines? we have no plastic water supply lines and the only plastic drain lines were from repairs and upgrades like the new kitchen just installed... everything else is cast irn or a bit of copper and brass, all original... 50 years old

Originally Posted By: jpeck

Bob,

Not knowing anything other than what you have stated, I'd recommend you have a plumber come out and address what the inspector was referring to, then give you a written report on what they find.

For the minimum cost of a plumber, that should help you for the next inspector (better than losing the deal, if that is indeed what caused your previous buyer to walk - sometimes, the reason they give is just an excuse which meets the contract, and the real reason is something else they saw or didn't like).

See how the plumber addresses that, then post back here, because we are all at a disadvantage (not being able to *see* what you have).

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Will do excellent suggestion. have plumberlook at pipes.

this is very confusing. I just wanted a qualty product and a easy transaction.

The inspector blew the dishwasher check. he reported it didnt work but had set it to delayed start:( I demoed it for thje realtor.

The following is all BRAND NEW, super capacity washer and gas dryer, GE hot water tank 8 year guarantee, entire kitchen including self cleaning range, fridge with ice maker, built in microwave rangehood, disposal, sinl and all kitchem cabinets and floor, I want to sell the house comlete.

heres it realtor listing.

http://realestate.aol.realtor.com/FindHome/HomeListing.asp?frm=byxmls&xlid=1038685295&lnksrc=00045&gate=aolrealestate&source=a2ankt1t1074&poe=realtor

I SUSPECT the elderly buyers just got cold feet, but they claim it was the report...

Inspector mnoted bees and wasps outside, but no nests. I thought that was excessive since bees and wasps live outside:)

Originally Posted By: Brian A. Goodman

“Pipes that were not hidden and concealed were made of copper and plastic and looked to be in fair to good condition with rust and corrosion showing at the time of inspection”

No wonder you're confused, that makes no sense at all.