For one thing I’d guess the home a lot older than 60ish if it had knob and tube wiring??? 30s or 40s at the latest in our area. And just for another twist on why the beam was sealed with that orange stuff…a little while ago I inspected an acreage that had quite a noticeable, kinda chemical odor to it…couldn’t put my finger on it till I got to the wood basement and saw the very large main beam of the home covered in plastic and taped up with duct tape? My brain was really doing laps then:D:
Turned out whoever built the home, used some old railway tie wood, that was soaked in oil and creosote pits to preservative it. It will last forever…but so does that stink:shock: it can’t be covered up or masked, it just keeps emitting that smell indefinitely. At first I thought it was just the damp wood basement…but that pungent smell…I new I’d smelled it before, but just not in a home!
Did a bit of research on the inter-net…apparently not a lot of studies done on the effects to the respiratory/nervous system by breathing in the vapors, over an extended number of years, but lots on how fast it kills fish in lakes and water. Needless to say buyer decided the home had too many strikes against it already, and that was just one more nail in the coffin.
Not saying this is what your home had…just food for thought. Just when you think youv’e seen it all…