Help! #What is this?

Originally Posted By: gwiggins
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

If someone would enlighten me on how to post pictures i would appreciate the information. I would like to post some pictures of an inspection I did this afternoon. I was in the crawl and found several floor joists that had white powdery spots on them and even on some of the wiring. I am sure some vet out there can help me explain this. I did find old termite damage in several joist but this powdery substance is not limited to those joists and is on some wiring also. The crawl was dry at this time and this dosen’t appear to be mold.

Originally Posted By: lfranklin

Maybe this will help. Go to the Mis Discussion Section. Read Igors post on page 1 in The Sticky: Test the message board here.

Sorry I never posted a picture, but I'll guess paint for now. ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt

u Quote Code List List= Img URL

Click on the box labeled Img

when the new little window opens click on "browse". that lets you find the picture on your computer. (Make sure ahead of time it is a jpg or gif format picture. There can be NO, NONE, NADA, spaces in the file name. change it if necessary, i.e. "crappy furnace picture.jpg" needs to be "crappyfurnacepicture.jpg"

Double click on the picture you want. that loads the name into the file box in the new little window.

Click Upload now

After a few seconds (or minutes depending on connection speed) the new little window says "add image to post" Click on that. Now your picture is uploaded and in the post.

It should read something like

"[img]http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/0Blue hills.jpg[/img]"

BUT, because it is a pain in the a$% for each picture to load everytime someone looks at the post, its nice if you delete two small parts of the link that appears in your post. At the start of the link delete [img] and at the end of the link delete [/img] leaving it to read something like

"http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/0Bluehills.jpg"

That deletion leaves the link so we can click on it to load the picture if we want to but won't let the picture load automatically and slow down your reading if you've already seen the picture.

--
Erby Crofutt
B4U Close Home Inspections
Georgetown, Kentucky

www.b4uclose.com

Can anyone tell me what this white powder might be?

Originally Posted By: Tom Logan

Gab,

Reload your picture.

W/O seeing your picture, lets assume you are talking about white powder on the forced are furnace connectors. The white powder is a by product of the combustion by products when condensation exists.

How to Fix
1) The connector pipe may be to big, resizing may be the fix
2) You may need to insulate the connector pipe in order to prevent the gases from cooling to fast

TL

Tom,

I will try to post the pictures again. The white powder looks almost like powder sugar and is on several floor joists and even on the romex that is nailed to some joists.

Thanks,

Gabe

If these pictures do not load and there is anyone willing to e-mail me at gabejw@aol.com I will e-mail the pictures to you.

Thanks again,

Gabe

Gab,

What is above the floor joists?

Example
1) Bathroom
2) Mud job for tiles

TL

Tom,

The powder is in more than one area however every place the powder is just has open living space above. The living room and the bedroom for example.

Gerry,

Thank you for the offer to post the pictures for me. I have tried to e-mail them to you but I keep getting them back. The notification states you have too many unread messages to allow for new ones.

Gabe

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi Gabe,

I got them give me 1/2 hour and they'll be here.

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Gerry,

You may get the the pictures again. If so just delete the e-mail as I know the file is large. I am still a novice at the computer but learning.

Gabe

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Ok Gabe

Here you go

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/100_2725.jpg
http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/untitled.jpg

The first picture looks much like someone sprayed fake snow at the wiring as the wire is covered in it and there is a line on the beam where the wire had got in the way, this just looks to me like some thing sprayed on rather than a mold.

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

This substance is on several joists and even on areas above ductwork where a spray wouldn’t reach. I didn’t mention I found signs of old termite damage in some of the joists with this substance but not all and again the substance is on the wiring also.

Gabe

Originally Posted By: chorne

Hi Gabe,

It looks like an insect treatment.
I have seen this while with my pest
inspector and he says that it is
some type of a powder treatment. ??

Carla
Grand View Home Inspections

Gabe,

Exterminators use special extension tubes with the powder puff devise.
It does not appear to be mold
It does not appear to be rot
It does not appear to be paint
So, with the evidence of termite damage, you may conclude it appears to be a chemical treatment of a powder type form.

TL

Originally Posted By: chorne

De ja veu

Originally Posted By: rstephens

It does appear to be a pesticide dust, Though it is possible that is could be lime. We use a big power duster that looks like a Mayo jar on the end of PVC pipe and it gets the dust everywhere.

Originally Posted By: eharden

Quote:
The powder is in more than one area however every place the powder is just has open living space above. The living room and the bedroom for example.

Are the above mentioned living areas carpeted? If so, is the carpet worn, and is it possible that a carpet cleaning powder may have fallen through the nap of the carpet and down through the floor planks? I can not really tell from the pictures what kind of floor system is under the suspect areas, though picture 1 does make it look like the powder was sprayed on from below.

--
Eric Harden
First Choice Inspection Services

"That which does not kill me, makes me stronger."

Carpet yes but this is nothing leaking from above. I believe the idea from above post this may be residue from an old pest control application (again I say old). I want to thank everyone for their opinion I am not leaving out at this time.

Gabe