NACHI acquires www.InspectorNow.com

If they have applied their name is listed on the state web-site, I don’t think that is the argument. It is if they have not sent in their application yet.

David,

Read the big paragraph at the bottom of page 2. It could have said that one is in violation of the law if one doesn’t POSSESS A LICENSE… but it doesn’t say that. It says one is in violation of the law it one has not COMPLETED APPLICATION and says it in a document that also says the commissioner has until December 28th to approve.

James, good to see you here. I am off to inspection 2 but would like to hear you thoughts on the bill as written. Feel free to contact the state office as well, they will let you know. I beleive Nick is off on this one.

This common grandfathering license that gives BOTH:

• currently practicing inspectors

AND

• the commissioner

time to decide who is and who is not legal. That time does not end until December 28th.

Again, The mere post of one member saying that another member doesn’t have a license in a state that has a grandfathering law which permits unlicensed inspectors who have made application but have not yet received their license to perform home inspections until the commissioner approves or denies their application before December 28, 2006 to perfom home inspections is not a mechanism by which NACHI can remove or delete a member.

That’s fine. Thank you for clearing the “dead wood” as you posted.

My concern is that buyers using the web site will be getting incorrect information and may abandon the site as it doesnt work and is out of date.

If an Inspector is listed and is not licenced, there is a good chance the will get caught by the state. Realtors are turning in complaints already. This is not the issue, though it has drifted that way.

I don’t want you kicking HI’s off because they are not licenced, I want the “dead wood” cleared so the site will work. The listed Licenced Inspectors is a good indication of who is “active”, since they had to be active 1 July 06 to file for licence.

When there is 64% of the Inspectors that appear not to be active…

Geeeez, Nick.

What’s the point of working to enact home inspection laws if it doesn’t result in immediately eliminating competition? What do you think these laws are here for…to protect the consumer?:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

David, I agree that being licensed is not only a good indicator that a home inspector is active and applied for his/her licesnse… it is actual proof!!!

However, according to the grandfathering clause in TN, an unlicensed home inspector may perform home inspections provided that he/she completed the application for a license. He/she need not stop performing home inspections while waiting for approval or for the license to be actually issued. According to law, the commissioner has until December 28th to decide.

Anyway, posts on a message board is not criteria NACHI can rely on and not a mechanism NACHI can act on.

If someone wants to get a position statement from the commissioner and send it to me, I will post it here as always… that would be a mechanism by which we can act. Until then, all we have is the law the way it is written.

The state site could just have easily replaced all the references to “applied for a license” to “received a license”… but for whatever reasoning (likely to give everyone enough time)… the state didn’t.

I already sent an Inquiry.
It’s lunch time here. May take some time.

Doesn’t NACHI have a representative on the licensing board?

Yes, several!

Ms. Carol Kennedy is the Admin director. I dropped her an email.

Some of this is a point of logic:

Failing to prove that someone is legal does not in fact prove that they are illegal, therefore NACHI has no mechanism by which to act yet.

Jim: I think 5 of the 6 inspectors on the TN licensing board are members of NACHI.

Perhaps we could have them weigh in on this before any action is taken.

No action is being taken as the law reads so very clearly. An inspector who applied under grandfathering this morning is both unlicensed and legal.

10-4

Well I got my reply from the state.

The answer will be forthcoming directly from the State of TN ASAP.

A summery to the issue is: Not NO, but absolutely NO!

Don’t go to work till the word comes down. If you don’t have the little copy of your licence, do not go back to work yet.

Sorry-- it just isn’t so.